Tactical Armor Group bumpers?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Has anybody ever had any dealings with Tactical Armor Group? What did you think of their products and service?

My deployment is almost over and I've got some money to burn on my Bronco. I've been looking around at something to replace the stock bumper and tire carrier and I think I found the one I like. However, before I go sinking $800 on a new bumper and tire carrier, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the manufacturer, Tactical Armor Group. I like how they have their options setup and a lot of variety of both features and vehicle mounting.

Here's the bumper I was looking at.
https://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bumper-Store/MultiCarrier-78-96
I was going to order it with shackle mounts, a receiver hitch and painted black. And of course, the carrier system with the gas can carrier. Its only an extra $40. All told, I'm looking at around $800 to include shipping, according to the shipping quote they gave me.

WT5speed

I have a front winch bumper from them. It works, but the welds are ugly and could have been cleaned more. Also, be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait. Ordered my bumper in September and received it in January. Emailed them in November and they said delivery was a week away. Said the same thing in December.

Lots of bad reviews if you search the Internet. Knowing what I do now, I wish I had bought a welder instead.
1a79168e34dfaead2c497a55dda755bb.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
Be very cautious about doing business with Tactical Armor Group (aka TAG aka Kennesaw Mountain Accessories aka KMA aka Blue Lake Offroad).

There is a reason why this company has used so many different business names in a relatively short time.
This company, by whatever name, is synonymous with questionable workmanship, misrepresentations/unreasonable delays and poor customer service.

DO NOT buy anything from TAG aka KMA aka Blue Lake until you have done a Google search for all of the horror stories and negative reviews, which exist for every name the company has used. These negative reviews seem to fall within the following categories: poor or non-existent communication after the customers' money is paid, snippy attitude toward customers after money is paid in contradiction to wonderful promises and friendly attitude while soliciting the customer's order; unreasonable delays; poor workmanship including bad welds, fitment issues, scratches and grinder damage, poor paint and/or powdercoat; damage during shipping; rotten customer service during and after sale.

If you still send your hard earned money to this company after reading about what they have done to others you will deserve everything bad that comes from the transaction.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I was afraid that people would say that. I got a major red flag when I read their return policy, but I was hoping it was them trying to protect themselves from bad customers. I guess I'll keep searching. I have a few weeks left. This REALLY makes me miss having my own shop to work it with a welder.
Anybody with a shop in Oklahoma want to help me out? I'd be willing to do the work and pay for materials and shop time.

hansrober

Adventurer

Chicken Helmet

Looking For Lost
I have a front winch bumper from them. It works, but the welds are ugly and could have been cleaned more. Also, be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait. Ordered my bumper in September and received it in January. Emailed them in November and they said delivery was a week away. Said the same thing in December.

Lots of bad reviews if you search the Internet. Knowing what I do now, I wish I had bought a welder instead.
1a79168e34dfaead2c497a55dda755bb.jpg
Funny this popped up when it did. I had a similar experience. Ordered mine Feb 13th received last Friday. I read the reviews and went in knowing it would be at least 3 months. Not many vendors building winch bumpers for Durangos. I used to work in a fabrication shop but am more of a grinder than a welder and some of the welds seem inferior. I would rate mine a 7/10. Once we paint it and fit it on the truck that may change.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I saw this post from one of the forum member 1984CUCV. He seemed very pleased with a bumper from RLC Welding. I think I am going to give them a try for a M1009 I am working on. He has some good pictures. Theres at least one good reference:ylsmoke:. PM him, maybe that will be a good lead for you.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137948-New-member-here/page3?highlight=cucv

http://www.rlcweldfab.com/index.php/store#!/Nissan/c/2212872/offset=0&sort=normal

I'll look into them, but it looks like they only do front bumpers and no tire swing arms at all. I sent them a message asking for a price quote for what I want but I'm not to hopeful.

TommyG

Adventurer
Your choice, but I would find another vendor. The only person I know that order from them paid and never received their parts.

I agree with most the above. I have heard many horror stories from over the years. I was really interested in them in that growing up next to Kennesaw Mountain I thought they would be local because of their name. They were no where that mountain. Perhaps 50-60 miles away. Just thought that was kinda weird.

Good luck with your search and thanks for your service!

S/F

peneumbra

Explorer
I think that Slee, in Golden, CO, only does stuff for Land Cruisers, but there has got to be someone out there who does work that's of the same quality for other vehicles. We have a great welding shop here in FLG, but then, you're in OK...

Chicken Helmet

Looking For Lost
Photos of mine...

Looks like it was welded with RTV:

I pulled whatever goop was there off for an example:

Finished product:

And if anyone notices the winch isn't wired up, this is why:

Going to mount the control box next to the winch but need some things from work in order to mount it.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
2F26D401-9788-439C-B84F-0D562575E11B_zpsju7ivdqd.jpg

Holy crap! That's not even a bugger weld. More like a snot weld. Please tell me you plan on redoing all those welds before you trust your life, or anybody's, to a winch on that bumper. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen for TAG. I'm glad I went with Protofab in the end.
attachment.php

It did have some issues with fitment, since this one was originally for an F150 and not a bronco, but the workmanship quality was definitely high end. Not a bad weld anywhere on it. The fitment issues were taken care of with some careful trimming.

rayra

Expedition Leader
boy those welds look like garbage. Totally unsatisfactory. Look like a real amateur job, like they were just burning along too quick because if they lingered they'd burn thru the thin metal because they lacked proper control of the bead / heat. And just the mere fact that they do indeed appear to be coated with something trying to mask their appearance and they STILL look so bad, throws all sorts of warning flags. I would not want to put any sort of load on that thing at all. Nice styling though, shame the fabrication seems so utterly lacking. I hope they learn how to weld.

A bead can look like dog**** but still be a strong weld. an example of a tolerable ugly weld -

rbumper08.jpg

But those TAG welds don't seem to be penetrating / melding with the stock material at all. They look superficial, like they'll snap right off under a load. Like they didn't get the stock metal hot enough to actually meld, just skipped along laying hot welding material on top of cold steel.

That hunk of **** never should have gone out to a customer.

eta here's another example of a decent bead and a penetrating weld. It's uneven and wandering, but it's solid.

1dyblz.jpg

here's another example of an uneven but quite acceptable weld

crossmember-01.jpg

What TAG sent is totally unacceptable, were it me I'd refuse it.

Last edited:

F40

Adventurer
I wouldn't even use the D-ring mounts on that Durango... Those welds look as cold as a witches tit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94