Tactical Armor Group bumpers?

F40

Adventurer
lol, notsomuch. There's aspects that make a good weld that have absolutely jack to do with the delivery method. Consistent solid bead, degree of penetration, puddling, weld profile / position, etc. The TAG examples show none of them.

I'm well aware of that. but delivery devices are apples to oranges in this case, not to mention very few companies will tig weld a bumper.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
These guys have ****ty service AND a ****ty product. Just goes to show that being a good salesman is more important than being a good craftsman.
I'm not aware of any real "salesmanship" by TAG, I think it's just that people get suckered in by their low prices. It's been a few years but I think when I first got my 4th gen T4R (or maybe it was the 3rd gen) I looked them up and a full bumper, custom built, was priced around $550 I think. That's crazy when most other builders START around $700+ and when the really nice ones are in the $2k range. Someone who doesn't do a lot of on-line research might well look at TAG and say "hey, these guys have great looking bumpers and the prices are unbeatable!"
The thing is, if TAG was selling the same bumper for $300, I think more than a few people would start asking serious questions. But their prices are not so far out of line to make people take a second look, so I'm assuming that's how they stay in business.
Of course, once they get the money, it's the whole "sunk costs" fallacy: i.e., you've spend your $500+ shipping for the bumper, then when you get delay after delay, you figure "might as well keep pushing on this, after all, they already HAVE my money."

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
It is funny the picture of the front Trailblazer bumper is one of there's that had another $1000 spent on it with a local fabricator once the guy received it. Had welding, fitment and every other issue.

I tried to deal with them years ago and found them to be awful. The people I know that bought their cheap stuff all wish they had spent more and gone another route.

To the comment of crappy product yet still around.... They are only around with a name for a couple years and then they have to switch. They take the money from those that think it is a new company and rip them off, then once the rep catches them, they shut down and re-open as a "new" company to do it over again.

Chicken Helmet

Looking For Lost
TAG should sell their ******** as unassembled kits. Some of their stuff looks to be decent in design, just gets ruined with bad welding.

They may from the way the site reads. I wasn't so much enamored by price as much as limited availabilty for my vehicle and inability to weld. Hopefully we were able to straighten up the important areas and nobody dies.

F40

Adventurer
They may from the way the site reads. I wasn't so much enamored by price as much as limited availabilty for my vehicle and inability to weld. Hopefully we were able to straighten up the important areas and nobody dies.

Any photos of the fixes?

bijanjames

Adventurer
Hefty Fabworks out of Colorado Springs, CO does great work and they started with Broncos. I have their skids, custom rear bumper, and sliders. Check them out.

Chicken Helmet

Looking For Lost
Any photos of the fixes?

No. We cleaned off the goop they spread on the shackle mounts and inspected. I think if it was under constant use it may have warranted either cutting off and starting over or grinding out and welding over. The few times hopefully they'll be used they'll be fine. The other really bad areas were the light pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior