Best Safari style shirt for Expedition and Casual wear

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm a big fan of the Columbia Silver Ridge Shirts (solid, plaid, short or long).

They have vents, wick well, good color retention, roll up sleeve holder, wash/dry easily and look nice.

I had two of the shirts (my only two) for a 2.5 week trip of hiking/rafting through Grand Canyon and they held up awesome through everything I threw at them without even a stain. I also have some that are 2 years old at this point that have gone through a lot of daily wear and field work in remote environments with zero failures. Highly impressive shirts in my experience....especially for the cost.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
If money is not too important, Tilley's Endurables. Special material, stains wash out easily. I just washed mine in the hotel sink after I got
turbine oil on it, it's drying in the closet. I've got 3 shirts, best travel clothing ever.

www.tilley.com

When I was in Africa I left a pen in a shirt pocket that went through the wash. A few shirts were ruined, but the next time I washed my Tilley shirt, the ink stains came right out.

Chad

poseidon

Observer
I have owned several brands over the year but consistently keep coming back to the REI Sahara Tech. Over the years I have owned at least 6 Columbia, 4 REI and a few of the other ones. The REI shirts are superior to the Columbia ones(old ones didn't breath as well and new ones pill ball). As the REI shirts are a store brand I had assumed they were a knock off but they really are better than so many of the brand name ones. The **** is moisture wicking, quick dry, sun protection, breathable, and well ventilated. Some of the more inexpensive shirts are a similar cut but made from traditional fabric. The REI ones can be purchased online in larger sizes too so If you are a 2X like me you are still in luck, they go all the way up to 3X.

http://www.rei.com/product/862927/rei-sahara-tech-long-sleeve-shirt-mens

dbtx

Another vote for Eddie Bauer. I just got back from two weeks in Zimbabwe and Botswana and for shirts only brought two EB guide long sleeves and two Smartwool short sleeve t-shirts. Most wicking shirts I have come across (and I have owned REI and Ex-Officio) have a very smooth weave and stick to you when things get sweaty. The EB shirts have a textured weave which helps out in that regard. Their sizing seems a bit non-standard to me so it's probably best to try one on in a store or use ShopRunner with free shipping and returns.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...380206283000050__13836516_catalog10002_en__US

gm13

Adventurer
Do we like these ?

That is hilarious...too funny.

I've a cotton Ex Officio shirt that I picked up at least 23 years ago, still in service though buttons have been replaced. It has a map pocket that I've not seen since. I even called the company in an attempt to persuade them into producing another version, CS said they'd mention it to design. I'm as crazy about the "tactical" emblazoned shirt like the 511 as I am about tactical toothpaste and tactical TP but it too has a chest pocket that will fit a full size folded map but it's a side open and it goes up to the front of the shoulder and will sit under a backpack strap as opposed to down with the EO. The 511 is well made but not for hot weather wear, too heavy imo. Woolrich had a breathable nylon outdoor shirt that worked well. 2 chest pockets, one with a side opening velcro underneath, the other with a zippered above but still under flap. Don't recall the name but looks like they've gone tacticool too. What shirts are available for broader thought or strategizing?

A pic for whatever reason...
R0016804.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
th

Don't forget the pith helmet!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Don't forget Natural Gear in your quest https://www.naturalgear.com/category/70-fishing-gear.aspx I have 3 of their shirts in long and short sleeve and love them, I also have Eddie Bauer and REI gear as well. Between hunting, fishing, and camping we spend about 50-60 days/nights a year in the woods and on the water, I am tough on shirts and have 7-8 outdoor shirts hanging in the gear closet. One of the perks of living in one of the most active outdoor sports areas in the country is that a lot of great gear ends up at the thrift stores.

TeriAnn

Explorer
1 Ex Officio
2 Filson
3 Kuhl
4 Columbia
5 Cabelas

IMO

I find it fascinating that everyone is just recommending brands of shirts as if each company only made one type of shirt. In reality companies tend to make different shirts for different environments and activity levels.

You really don't know what environment a shirt can handle unless you look at the contents label. Different fabrics have different characteristics and blends take on characteristics of each material in the blend. If you know the characteristics of a fiber you have a very good idea of how that shirt will perform in a given environment.

We know the shirt needs to wick sweat in a humid environment but we have no idea of the temperature range. Are we talking the cool humidity of the Olympic peninsula's rain forest or ?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I have several shirts from two different military uniform manufacturers, Propper and Tru-Spec. Both companies have several different lines in both long and short sleeve that I think you'll find both appropriate and inexpensive. They each also have several lines of "Adventure" pants (think tactical-lite) that may fit the overlanding bill too.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I find it fascinating that everyone is just recommending brands of shirts as if each company only made one type of shirt. In reality companies tend to make different shirts for different environments and activity levels.

You really don't know what environment a shirt can handle unless you look at the contents label. Different fabrics have different characteristics and blends take on characteristics of each material in the blend. If you know the characteristics of a fiber you have a very good idea of how that shirt will perform in a given environment.

We know the shirt needs to wick sweat in a humid environment but we have no idea of the temperature range. Are we talking the cool humidity of the Olympic peninsula's rain forest or ?
Great point.
I sport cotton Cabela's shirts when it's tropical-warm out and snythetics when it will turn cool. Damp cotton is a killer when the mercury drops.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

I recommend Columbia as a total brand as they have clothing....no wait.....Great clothing for every purpose. I use it ALOT.

tommym

Observer

If you read the question from the OP, he was " seeking a safari style shirt and wanted to know who makes the best". It was just my opinion. Sorry if you disagree with me, I didn't notice a recommendation from you...

TeriAnn

Explorer
If you read the question from the OP, he was " seeking a safari style shirt and wanted to know who makes the best". It was just my opinion. Sorry if you disagree with me, I didn't notice a recommendation from you...

Different adventure wear companies sell a range of Chinese manufactured clothing and it is possible that different American adventure wear companies might even sell clothing made by the same Chinese manufacturer. (Note I'm using Chinese as a generic, a manufacturer could be in another country such as Indonesia, or Vietnam). The name brand American adventure wear companies all sell well made, high quality clothing, the real difference is in the fabric or fabric blend. I didn't make a recommendation because the person who asked the question did not provide enough information. He said a humid environment. I have no idea if he was referring to a Pacific Northwest rain forest or a trip through the everglades. Both would require very different fabrics. And different fabrics are affected by the thickness and tightness of the weave. Cotton is an excellent fiber for hot and humid if you don't mind the wet tee shirt look when you are being active in very humid environments. Cotton doesn't hold its shape well when wet so a cotton blend would likely be a better choice. On the other hand cotton can easily kill you in a cold humid environment.

Bamboo does a good job a wicking moisture and is often blended with other fibers for warm weather high activity clothing. Hemp clothing works well for both warm and moderate climates. It breaths well, wicking moisture off the skin and can hold about 20% of its weight in water without feeling wet. And polyester can have a wide range of properties depending upon how the plastic is extruded and how it is woven or knitted. If the plastic is extruded through dies that create tiny longitudinal grooves, the grooves can wick moisture off the skin through capillary action.

Bottom line is that I feel that all the name brand adventure wear companies sell high quality products for different environments and types of activities. I would first look at the shirts advertised for a given climate and activity level then choose among them based upon the fabric blend used and what each material in the blend contributes to the properties of the blend.

My personal favorite fabric for warm to moderate weather and as an inner layer is hemp or a hemp blend. Hemp, blended with cotton in a light weight loose weave would be a very good fabric for use in hot humid weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles