Best Safari style shirt for Expedition and Casual wear

KWJohnston

Hello everyone, this is my first Post on the Forum. I am seeking a Safari style shirt that will fit my needs. It seems like every clothing label out there makes some sort of "Safari" style shirt, but I want to know who makes the best !

The shirt must work well for overland travel, outdoor activity and casual wear. For travel it must have adequate pockets to keep items handy and be comfortable for extended wear. For outdoor use, it needs to be well made to prevent the stitching from tearing, handle washing and drying outdoors without a problem, and breathe well in the humid climate I live in. Lastly, the shirt must have a nice appearance for casual wear. I personally prefer buttons or zippers over any kind of Velcro pockets.

I realize this sounds like a lot of requirements. Hopefully many of you veterans of overland travel through trial and error of your own will have some input. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I like a shirt that has a pocket large enough to carry a passport.
Cabelas has some good shirts.
I like these for that reason, among others.
There's a zipper pocket behind each bellows breast pocket that is perfect for a passport.
They come in long sleeve and tall also. I'm 5'11" and prefer the tall.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1102600
They seem to have limited the colors available in the short sleeve though. :(

Attachments

• canvas.jpg
    canvas.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

WininUtah

Adventurer
For years I wore the Columbia "Bonehead" shirts, finally wore out most of them! A couple of years ago I found the Woolrich "Cross Country" tech shirt. They're getting harder to find, I know Amazon has some http://www.amazon.com/Woolrich-Mens-Cross-Country-Shirt/dp/B008Z9E4C8/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt These shirts launder well, no ironing, and the ability to wick off moisture is a plus. I wear 100% polyester T-shirts under them. most are from EMS but Under Armour and others have them.

wildorange

Observer
I've been using Craghopper Shirts for both Motorcycling and recreational and never let me down.

Failing that, Rohan also have a good range.

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
I really like anything from Eddie Bauer's Travex line, but then again my wife and I are pretty addicted to their clothes. Might not be the top outdoor clothing brand but their stuff fits well into our budget. Can't recommend their short sleeve shirts as I seem to lose buttons off them so stick to the long sleeves. Also, for when it's a bit cooler out I love their Expedition Flannels. Their Travex line fits me well, stays cool, is really light weight, and dries quickly when I get wet. The Travex line is geared toward traveling so it's tough, wrinkle resistant, and most of mine have a zipper 'body safe' on the chest. Wear them everyday and have worked especially well when I'm traveling for work. I can easily keep all my papers secure right on my chest.

Also, I just picked up their Mako shirt in white from the Sports Shop and that is quickly become one of my go to shirts. It is a designated fishing shirt but has a lot of the same features as their Travex shirts but with extra pockets.

LoneSniper

I like the Eddie Bauer Travex line too. I got shirts, trousers, jackets and lots of t-shirts which seem to be great for multi day wear as they never smell. Also Columbia, Craghoppers and Cabelas shirts are all great and in rotation when traveling.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
If money is not too important, Tilley's Endurables. Special material, stains wash out easily. I just washed mine in the hotel sink after I got
turbine oil on it, it's drying in the closet. I've got 3 shirts, best travel clothing ever.

www.tilley.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles