Best Large SUV stock?

diver110

I am not quite as adventurous as many on this forum, but I do get off on "forest roads" and would like something I could get skid plates on with sturdy axles. I also sometimes drive long distances and would like an SUV I could get fully horizontal in for all of my 6 feet for a periodic nap and occasional car camping. Do any of the big, late model SUVs come to mind that would meet my needs?

smlobx

Wanderer
If your not intent on doing any rock crawling I would suggest either an excursion or a suburban.
Both will have plenty of room for you take a nap in...

diver110

Thanks for the feedback. Just judging from specs, a Chevy Tahoe seems big enough. Any feelings pro or con about it?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Suburban. I love the space in mine. I have to sort out the bumpers and lift on it soon. I think im going to do the arb series 100 bumper mod on it. and then figure out how to mount the plow as well.

93Cummins

Observer
Ford Expedition EL. I have had two of them and was very happy with both. Just enough extra length between a normal Expedition and an Excursion or Suburban. Would be even better if Ford ever puts a diesel in one.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Suburban (GMT800 at least) is world's apart in comfort on road over a Ford truck platform, such as the Excursion (I has both a '03 Suburban LT 8.1l, and a '01 F350 7.3). Also, the Excursion has a 3 piece back door instead of the Sub's hatch or barn door style. Chev gas engines are also a bit better than the Fords IMO.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The suburban older ones anyways have a full truck platform where as the newer expeditions are totally different from the F150s. The suburban has a better platform for true overlanding. Mall crawling and soccer moms will prefer the expy because its more comfortable and has more creature comforts. I had both the 2005 suburban and the 2007 expy EL limited. I am speaking 100 percent from experience of owning both at the same time. My brother owns the expy now.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
FWIW, the first gen Expedition with 5.4 has a heavier drivetrain than the 4.6. Larger axle diffs, larger transmission (shared with 7.2 diesel) and is still solid rear axle. It's basically a "heavy half ton" I guess. It's also still a simple vehicle (relatively speaking).

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Just wanted to through out that the old full sized Ford Broncos aren't bad for room. If you're not packing too much, you can remove the rear seat and lay down in the back. Not as roomy as the larger expedition obviously, but not bad. They're also already built for any type of trail you'd encounter on a forest road and have better maneuverability over the larger rigs. Very sturdy axles and drive train despite what many try to argue otherwise. I can basically go anywhere a jeep can go but a bit more comfortable for my own 6' frame.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Full size Broncos are nice. I saw a Centurion on the highway yesterday... had to restrain myself from giving pursuit and asking to buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier