Tc650 owners-Tundra/Silverado/f150?

Darwin

Explorer
Also found this article (link below). I love the styling of the ram, but early on, someone told me to stay away from dodge. But this rated it highest among the 3/4 tons.
Any of the big three with a gas motor would work. Pick the one you like most. If you are buying a diesel, whoever told you stay away from Cummins might be on something they shouldn't.

You don't "need" the wrap, it is extra storage though, but not necessary.

cninghm

Adventurer
Darwin/doctorit:
They told me to stay away from dodge in general. Maybe they were referring to a particular dealership. I had a Chrysler Lebaron for 13 years. Was in shop more than in my garage. But, I really love the ram styling. Reading that they knock the sox off competition has gotten me really excited. Also heard excellent things about cummins.
Next post will cover the wrap issue.

Last edited:

cninghm

Adventurer
Btw, my aversion to diesel comes from not wanting to "tuck it in" with a warm blanket on cold nights, add additives, noise, and since it would mean I'd be driving gas (4-runner) and diesel, I may screw up some day and put diesel in my 4-runner 😳

doctorit

Adventurer
I'm gonna stay far, far away from Ford/Dodge/GM question... it's generally like throwing alcohol in a fire!

(but it's pretty obvious who my favorite is)

cninghm

Adventurer
This is what I saw in the wrap/Ford. Guess I mis-read it. (Only applies to older model fords, and the 5'7" beds.

Which camper can fit a 2001 F150 Supercrew?

The TC650 would be the correct camper. If you wish let your tail gate down and it will protrude about an inch further back than the floor of the camper or take it off completely. The camper should have at least the 1/2 wrap option and cannot have the side saddle gray option as the tail gate opening is only 48" 1999 thru 2003.

Will the tc650 pop up camper fit on a f150 supercrew short bed 5' 7''

Yes, it will fit , the TC650 is 6' 8" in the floor length, plus 2" for the front rubber bumpers, going on a 5' 7" bed. Therefore, the camper will need at least the 1/2 wrap option (full rear wall with built in tail lights and skinny side skirts) If the camper does not have this option there will be times that the turn signals etc. will not be able to be seen from behind creating a safety issue. The camper will maybe need a riser kit depending upon the year of the truck. If the truck is a 1999 through 2003 F150 Super Crew the camper cannot have the side saddle gray tank option as the tail gate opening those years was only 48" versus the 60" other years.
You will need to install some sort of suspension assist.

bumblebus

Observer
@cninghm - curious why you opted for the TC650 when it's just you and the pups? I saw one in person a month or so ago and it seemed HUGE. Having seen it in person I'm now leaning towards the 700SS/XB for me, the wife and one pup on a burled up Tacoma (someday "soon"). Best of luck in your truck purchase and please do post photos of your rig when it's done.

ripperj

Explorer
When I went from a '10 Ram 1500 to a '12 Ram 2500 I was amazed at how much easier to drive the bigger truck was, the rear and side mirrors are bigger with the parabolic mirrors on the end that let you see all the way to the ground behind the rear wheel. Also the seating was less car like(not layed back and low), which allows a better view.
I would drive a few, I love my Ram, not sure why they told you to avoid them. I did note that the Fords typically had a higher payload(not that you need it) than the Rams, but they are all speced out different, so it's hard to compare like for like.
Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

cninghm

Adventurer
Bumblebus, I liked the 700, too. Was shooting for something that would fit in my garage. But nothing would so I went just a bit bigger. I really loved the 700 layout and to tell you the truth I can't remember what swayed me. I'll look at them online. It might trigger my memory. Wow, you're brave putting it on a taco.

cninghm

Adventurer
Ripperj. I haven't looked at ram yet or researched very much. But I have always lusted over the look of them, and I'm not really a car or truck person. Only a few that turn my head: current Camaro and the ram. I'm a little concerned about how the aluminum on the f150 would hold up in an accident. I like steel around me with all the maniac drivers, especially in winter.

cninghm

Adventurer
Bumblebus: it might have been that the 700 they had on display at truck camper warehouse had a permanent wrap ( I didn't want that), or maybe it wasn't right for the Silverado (which, at the time I was convinced I was going to get), or that it didn't have a grey water holding tank.

cninghm

Adventurer
Bumblebus, I originally started this journey to get a portable climate-controlled area for my dogs if I wanted to leave them for a bit while camping. It has gotten way out of control, requiring garage modifications and over a year of research. I thought I'd just bite the bullet now before I end up driving a Winnebago!

Motafinga

Adventurer
I haven't read the whole thread but will relate my experience with a Palomino B1200 on a 2003 Tundra. I bought the whole rig as a package for a great deal but had reservations about the stoutness of the truck handling the camper from the start but the deal would allow me to sell the truck on it's own for nearly what the whole rig cost me. I'm a bit of a special case though as I routinely haul dirt bikes as well and the camper had an 8 foot length in a 6 foot bed and fit just at the tail gate edge. I like hauling with a carrier instead of a trailer which I knew wouldn't be possible due to the obstructed hitch and how far behind the axle the weight would be but thought I'd try a small trailer. Anyways it only took two trips to confirm what I suspected. Once was just my lady and dogs with no motos up and over a steep and twisty mtn grade and the truck felt really overwhelmed by the weight and brakes stank to high heaven going down hills, and got 10mpg The other time a buddy and I pulled a small trailer with 2 dirt bikes and going down one hill the brakes faded so badly I pulled over to find smoke pouring out of the front wheels! ADIOS TUNDRA! I now have an F250 PSD which is far better for my needs.
I don't know how much beefier the newer Tundras are compared to the 2003 but I'd never put anything near that heavy again in a first gen. For the record that camper was only 1200 pounds dry.
I should add that I love Toyotas and had a 4 runner for years before wanting a camper, I'm on my 4th Tacoma still as a daily driver.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 7.36.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 7.36.15 PM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

cninghm

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your experience, Motafinga. That's what I'm terrified of. It'd be pretty crazy experiencing that alone! I had a rental SUV in the mountains of AZ once. No camper, but in snowstorm, pitch black, unpaved roads. Never so scared in my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier