Tc650 owners-Tundra/Silverado/f150?

FlyTime

see my post GVR... Now I'm wondering of I should have gone 1 ton... for a pop-up camper, hard to believe how the weight adds up. I opted for diesel 3/4, got 18 - 22 mpg on a recent road trip (without camper mounted), my old rig was 1998 dodge 1500, rarely got over 13 mpg....

doctorit

Adventurer
Just an FYI on efficiency: I LOVED my Ecoboost F150, I really did. It averaged 17.8mpg for the 20k miles I put on it, mostly empty. With the TC650 loaded up, it only got 12-13mpg. My F250 (it's actually the old 5.4L, I'm sure the 6.2 is a bit better) gets 13-14 with or without the camper.

The half-ton truck will feel the camper weight much more. So if you're getting the truck only for camper use, you won't reap any efficiency benefits. In fact, see above, you'll do a little worse.

Darwin

Explorer
Not sure I'm ready to pay for the mpg on a 3/4 or 1 ton or deal with diesel. I thought I was in the right range with the Silverado 1500 or f150 with the max payload package.
Mines, older and known for good mpg, I can guarantee you I get better mileage with the camper I have (its a hard side and a huge wind sail) than an eco boost or a silverado or Tundra. I also have more available torque which is nice for driving with a load and an exhaust brake, also nice for stopping. If you are looking at buying new, the 2013 and newer Cummins gets pretty good mileage, almost as good as my old one, but has nice power delivery. I might get slack for this from other members but I see no argument for getting a 1/2 ton truck with the camper you have and the gear you want to take with you. IF you really go full size, get the 1 ton. No reason not to. A 3/4 ton is the half way house for people who step up from a tacoma to a full size truck, always go 1 ton if you go full size.

Edit: before I went with oversize tires, I was getting 17-19 mpg in my truck on freeway with my much larger camper. That's with close to 400 hp also.

cninghm

Adventurer
All very interesting and informative. Thanks again for all of your input.
I need to carve out some time to sit with the Ford and Chevy guys and crunch the numbers (payload, mpg, and cost). Doctorit's last post raised my eyebrows on the mpg. May be worth it. Must test drive to see what a beast the F250 is. I'm currently driving 2001 4-runner (179,000+ miles), so likely the truck may be used for more than camping down the line. I'll keep my Toyota going as long as I can. I love it. But the sad day may come...

Darwin

Explorer
Darwin, my head is still spinning thinking about 3/4 ton. Not sure I could do the 1 ton.
They are the exact same physical size. Driving a 3/4 ton will be no different than a 1 ton. With the 1 ton you get more payload, higher resale. If you start looking at diesels, the straight six cylinder diesels seem to get better mpg.

MINO

Adventurer
All very interesting and informative. Thanks again for all of your input.
I need to carve out some time to sit with the Ford and Chevy guys and crunch the numbers (payload, mpg, and cost). Doctorit's last post raised my eyebrows on the mpg. May be worth it. Must test drive to see what a beast the F250 is. I'm currently driving 2001 4-runner (179,000+ miles), so likely the truck may be used for more than camping down the line. I'll keep my Toyota going as long as I can. I love it. But the sad day may come...

I thought I would be replacing my 96 Land Cruiser with the Tundra. 3 years later and I still can't bring myself get rid of it. 255,000 miles and running strong.
I even lent it to my friends family so they could join us camping without needing a tent (full size bed in the back).
If I went with a 3/4 or 1-ton, I'd probably tow it with me for tighter trails. haha.

cninghm

Adventurer
My jiffy lube guy told me to never pull over to help a stranded Toyota owner 'cause surely it's a set-up -- toyotas never break down lol.

brian90744

American Trekker
We love spending someone else's money. Check out GMC/Chevy 1500 HD, best to look in the glove box for the Camper weight info/ specs. with 6 liter engine expect 12-14 MPG. Just my FYI=brian

Wow, you guys are all hard core with these trucks. This is not easy ��. Not sure I'm ready to pay for the mpg on a 3/4 or 1 ton or deal with diesel. I thought I was in the right range with the Silverado 1500 or f150 with the max payload package. I need to think on this. I appreciate all your input, everyone.

Last edited:

doctorit

Adventurer
I have to correct Brian - GVW sticker is mandated on drivers side door sill. Glovebox stuff is, for the most part, generic.

C - use our stories as reference, and most importantly, you gotta buy what you like!

cninghm

Adventurer
Doctorit, I came to similar conclusion. Got general sense from all above to go in direction of 3/4 ton (or higher). I ordered camper based on Silverado 1500. I didn't want any wrap. I checked out Northstar FAQs today to see if I switch to ford (f150 or higher) and it looks like I'll need the wrap if I do. So I may have to stick with Silverado and bump it up to 3/4 ton. The safety is important to me. Waiting to hear from the camper place to confirm about the wrap. Meeting with ford and Chevy Friday to crunch numbers and test drive.

doctorit

Adventurer
Not sure why you would "need" the wrap? And, what the truck make has to do with it? I thought it was just an option, purely aesthetic. Our TC doesn't have the wrap and I've had it on two fords.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior