Tc650 owners-Tundra/Silverado/f150?

cninghm

Adventurer
Hi! I'm a newbie, freshly converted from tent camper to pop up. I just ordered a 2015 North Star TC650 and need advice on truck. Wanted tundra for reliability of Toyota but payload isn't there (tc650 dry weight 1.5k/wet & fully loaded 2.5k?). Silverado payload 1609, f150 possibly 2770. Love to hear your advice on how each of these trucks handle on the road with camper, your experiences, hardships, endorsements, and recommendations.
Thanks🚚

Last edited:

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Im using a 2003 TC650 on my 04 Tundra double cab 4x4...added air bags and rear sway bar. Just completed 8 hr round trip up a twisty mountain road to 8400 feet and the last 12 miles was dirt forest road...I can tell its there, but handled fine. Welcome to the "650 club" Mike

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
F-150 or a 3/4 ton. A newer TC650's only a couple hundred #'s less than mine.
3/4 ton's have way stronger drivelines and especially brakes.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Rock, meet hard place. You're going to be operating most any half ton at or near it's limits. If you go with a GMC/Chevy half ton, look for something with the 6.0L gas engine.

Darwin

Explorer
Sounds like f150 if you want any chance of staying near GVWR. My opinion would be to seriously consider a 3/4 or really 1 ton shortbed .

cninghm

Adventurer
Thanks, everyone. Please say it aint so, though.😩 I originally wanted an 850sc, but dropped down to a 650 so I wouldn't have to get a 3/4 ton. I understand keeping within Gvwr, but not sure what it gets me if I go way higher than needed Gvwr. Camper place assured me even a tundra would be sufficient. So confused now.

doctorit

Adventurer
All the camper places will tell you "this is the lightest camper! half ton all the way!" ... and they're right, but only because all the other truck campers are such pigs!

I bought my TC650 early last year and put it on my 2011 F150; a sweet truck, not with the HD package, but with a decent payload, 1750#. It was overweight, by a lot - add up yourself, wife, kids, gear and you'll scare yourself with the final number. I added airbags and E-rated tires. It definitely helped, but I still hated going on the highway with my entire family, or on any real twisty or bumpy roads. In April of this year, I traded the F150 in for an F250 and I'm so happy I did. The driving portion of our camping weekends is now enjoyable and not nerve-wracking!

And, btw, even my F250 needs airbags to level out the ride and keep the camper from slamming into the jounce stops on even moderate bumps.

cninghm

Adventurer
Thank you, doctorit, that helps a lot. But, I am a small female (5'5", 110lbs), 2 dogs (40lbs combined), no one else traveling with us. I calc'd camper weight as:
Dry weight: 1,500 lbs
Betty, TG, Bonnie: 150lbs
Water (fresh and grey):312.75 lbs
Stuff: 500lbs
Total: 2,462.75
F150: 2,770
Wiggle room: (2770-2,462.75) =
307.25 lbs.
I'm a little nervous about driving a 3/4 ton truck. Is 307 lbs. extra not enough?

doctorit

Adventurer
F150 w/2770# payload is a special order on the 2015/2016 at most dealerships, very few/none of them will show up with that package. I almost considered that option, but in April, the build time was 8-10 weeks out. That same week, a nice F250 showed up in trade and made my decision easier.

So, my answer is: I can't answer, sorry. However, I do know that the F150 HD package doesn't address brakes, something the F250 does.

As for driving an F250, It's not physically much bigger, I wouldn't use that as a factor. In fact, the wheelbase on a short bed crew cab F250 (156") is actully 7" shorter than on the same configuration F150 (163").

MINO

Adventurer
Payload is lacking on the Tundra. I'm well past GVWR in mine by almost 2000lbs, Have been for the past 2 years.

Couple of reasons why I went with the Tundra:
The brakes are fractions away from GMC 3500's in diameter. 1/4in thinner in the front, 6/10in in the rear. Both are 4-pots in front. Tundra is a single slider in the rear.
The rear diff on the Tundra (10.5") is near 1-ton beefiness. Ring gear is the heaviest of all 1/2 tons.
The chassis also shares some DNA with the LC200 Land Cruiser.
"Perceived Value" in the Toyota nameplate. Resale seems very high on Toyota Trucks.
The model I wanted (Rock Warrior) included E-rated BFG tires and Navigation.

Is the Tundra perfect? hell no. It get's crap mileage (10-12mpg). The factory Auto LSD is severely lacking and needs a proper locker.
I'm sure it can be nitpicked a lot further. But it was just right for me and my needs. I've upgraded the rear LSD, rear swaybar and full suspension (no airbags).
I actually enjoy driving it. It feels more nimble than what the weight implies. I've taken it to all types of places, just need to be mindful of the limitations.

Personally, I like the new F150 with it's Ecoboost V6 and aluminum body. But I've got so much into the Tundra already.

cninghm

Adventurer
Thanks, Mino, that helps, too, although I'm not sure I've researched it as thoroughly as you did. The ecoboost snagged my attention, too. Wasn't even thinking 3/4 ton until this thread, now I'm nervous. Makes me think f150 or 3/4 ton is the way to go. Not sure I want to put so many mods into tundra.

MINO

Adventurer
Thanks, Mino, that helps, too, although I'm not sure I've researched it as thoroughly as you did. The ecoboost snagged my attention, too. Wasn't even thinking 3/4 ton until this thread, now I'm nervous. Makes me think f150 or 3/4 ton is the way to go. Not sure I want to put so many mods into tundra.

If I were to do it all over again today, I'd be looking right at the 2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. My buddy just picked one up, threw a few power mods on it and it FLIES! While getting 17mpg (4x2).
I can barely fit some trails with the Tundra. I have a lot of "pin striping" from all the brush. So, I can't imagine going any larger. I'd go smaller if I could but going to a Tacoma make me nervous.

I'm too deep into my Tundra - I've committed to it.

Darwin

Explorer
If you are thinking 3/4 ton, might as well go 1 ton if you are buying. More payload, same exact physical size.I drove a 3/4 ton long bed Dodge diesel all over mexico and central america, no problem for me, but I am used to it. Now I am taking same truck plus 2,500 lb. hard sided Northstar camper down. It will be harder driving down there for me due to the camper on back, but I hate hostels and would rather have the camper.

cninghm

Adventurer
Wow, you guys are all hard core with these trucks. This is not easy 😣. Not sure I'm ready to pay for the mpg on a 3/4 or 1 ton or deal with diesel. I thought I was in the right range with the Silverado 1500 or f150 with the max payload package. I need to think on this. I appreciate all your input, everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online