Solar powered toolbox boombox/charging station/inverter

hour

Observer
I just posted most of this in another thread but figured I'd create a new one in case anyone was searching for some sort of ultimate music and power machine.

Objective Have an easily transported boombox for camping that also allows me to charge phones, blow up air mattresses, and (version two) double as a table or place to sit. The box should also be capable of being charged by either my 15w or 100w solar panel.

Version One Parts
  • Dewalt 24" 'One Touch' toolbox
  • 18 amp hour UB12180 SLA battery, metal D rings and bungees/tarp straps to secure inside
  • Lepai 2 channel mini amp
  • USB to minijack bluetooth audio adapter
  • BOSS Marine 6.5" Speakers
  • Sunforce 10 amp charge controller with SAE connector to panels
  • Voltmeter
  • Diehard 120w inverter, old but functional
  • 120v panel-mount female plug with waterproof cover
  • Two Blue Sea Systems 12v cigarette lighter ports
  • Various cigarette lighter to dual/triple USB, and a nifty adapter that converts one cigarette lighter jack to two PLUS two 2.1a USB ports
  • Two switches, one to supply power to inverter, one to supply power to voltmeter
  • Bussman fuse block with appropriate fuses for all accessories
  • 10 gauge wire for all things heavy-power related, and some speaker wire

20141220_163053_zps77bd55d9.jpg

20141220_164155_zpsd63b6a7c.jpg

20141220_163303_zps784ff642.jpg

This little thing rocked for the week that it worked. The speakers are surprisingly loud and clear for being a notoriously cheap/budget brand, and the Lepai amp was perfect for the price. Despite the low 'actual' wattage the amp puts out, according to Amazon reviews, it still was PERFECT for camping. This was much better than the bluetooth jambox type speakers that are the craze lately... much better bass, mids, highs, overall clarity and volume. Battery would easily play all day and night without getting below 12v.

Unfortunately, I charged this unit inside using a battery charger and the Lepai amp never worked again. It was OFF during the charging, really don't know what happened. Sad day. Determined to resurrect it, and find a bigger enclosure since I was bothered by speaker grill overhang, I made some purchases and salvaged everything else from the old one.

Version Two Parts
  • Dewalt DS400 toolbox
  • 18 amp hour UB12180 SLA battery, metal D rings and bungees/tarp straps to secure inside
  • Pioneer bluetooth head unit
  • BOSS Marine 6.5" Speakers
  • Polk Audio Marine 8" DVC Subwoofer and protective grille
  • Sunforce 10 amp charge controller with MC4 connectors to panel
  • Diehard 120w inverter, old but functional
  • 120v single outlet receptacle with waterproof cover
  • Two Blue Sea Systems 12v cigarette lighter ports
  • Various cigarette lighter to dual/triple USB, and a nifty adapter that converts one cigarette lighter jack to two PLUS two 2.1a USB ports
  • Two switches, one to supply power to head unit ignition wire, one to supply power to inverter
  • Bussman fuse block with appropriate fuses for all accessories
  • Grounding strip/block
  • 8 gauge wire from battery to fuse block and battery to grounding strip
  • 10 gauge wire for all *other* things heavy-power related, and some speaker wire

Upgrading to a proper car head unit had some benefits. One, it's more tolerant of voltage fluctuations versus the Lepai - so it hasn't fried when charging inside my house. Two, it has bluetooth built in so I was able to ditch my ground-loop-interference-inducing USB->mini jack bluetooth audio adapter. Three, it has a front USB port for playing songs off of a USB flash drive or charging/playing audio from yet another phone/tablet. Four, the specific Pioneer head unit I got has a feature called 'Direct Sub Drive' where you can combine the rear channels to power a subwoofer. I believe the MAX output is 70w, so nothing earth shaking, but it's very nice! All the lpf/sub level controls in the head unit now function with a subwoofer in mind, so it's not a hacky solution where the sub is receiving the full audio signal.

I'm yet to install the voltmeter on this new box, and may not as it's pretty easy to flip the lid and see what the solar charge controller reads. Anyway, this thing sounds excellent and the subwoofer really makes it come to life. The added power from having a proper head unit versus the Lepai also made the budget speakers perform even better. When I go out, I slap either my 15w or 100w panel on the roof rack of my 4runner or roof rack of my RAM, and plug in the MC4 connectors. I have wiring to the interior of the 4runner and Ram, but carry a separate set of cables with connectors so I can pop the panel off if I park in the shade.

This thing has provided a lot of joy already this season. I basically pull in to where I'll camp, detach solar panel if necessary (the 100w can basically lay flat on roof rack and still charge adequately on cloudy days without any orientation tweaks), and blow up my air mattress with the inverter. I have a Sirius Onyx2 radio in my 4runner, so I snatch that and use a spare cigarette lighter adapter and spare antenna for it, so the tunes go on and relaxation begins. Later in the night I plug in my Goal Zero lantern and charge phones/tablets/whatever as necessary.

Despite having a subwoofer and more power hungry head unit, the system will play all day and all night - with the light on all evening too (oops). I've never seen it drop below 12v, and during full sun with the 100w panel I can still flirt with 'float' mode on the charge controller while blasting tunes. It serves as an excellent table for things that won't vibrate off from the bass, or a place to sit if needed. Handles and latches on the DS400 are awesome, too, so while it weighs significantly more than version 1 - it never feels like it's going to fall apart. Instead of centering the battery I opted to mount it opposite of the subwoofer to better balance the weight. When not camping, it resides in my shed (also has solar panel) and remains fully charged. I open the shed door when grilling and have...music.

20150404_181306_zpsmzaliafe.jpg

Message_1426455506614_zps7uuitipq.jpg

and a quick video (don't think I had the cig adapters installed at this point, nor subwoofer grille)

I love this thing. If I were to have built one with power as the greater priority (over sound), I probably would have put in a full size deep cycle battery and some 4" full range speakers ($20ish?) and still have better performance versus the bluetooth jamboxes. Not sure what I'd drive them with if not using a head unit, the Lepai was sweet until it fried. ANYWAY consider going this route if you have a similar objective. Coolers didn't make sense for me, the wall thickness due to insulation wasn't appealing to cut through and mount in, and the work to then waterproof the interior components to maintain cooler functionality seemed, well, not fun.

hour

Observer
Hah surprised the first response was someone in the know.

But thanks! Does their work justice, of course cam can't pick it up.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
haha cool idea man, I like it. looks like a pretty solid setup. Im always looking to get the music with out opening my doors and letting the dust and smoke into the car.

Im working up Rocky Mountain NP(grand lake side) this summer, let my know if you going out camping around here this summer, we can compare runners!

4x4junkie

Explorer
And it still reminds of the big boom boxes of the '80s :cool:

Do you have any issues with the tool case buzzing/rattling from the bass?

hour

Observer
And it still reminds of the big boom boxes of the '80s :cool:

Do you have any issues with the tool case buzzing/rattling from the bass?

The top handle does and the weatherproof outlet cover both buzz(ed). I used some very thin foam tape leftover from a window air conditioner under both. None of the internals rattle, which is great/lucky. I did have plans to use sound deadening inside, leftover from the doors on my 4runner... too lazy to take it all apart to do that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior