Just got back from the Northwest Rally...where were you guys???

IGBT

Observer
Just got back with our camper from the Northwest Overland Rally in Plain, WA.

It was HOT. I have spent too many years now in western Washington and was not used to baking in the 105 degree heat.

We loaded the motorcycles in the garage pod, tied them down and set off Thursday. I estimate with the gear, water, motorcycles, gen, food, we were around 17,500 pounds. I crawled up to the Hwy 2 pass in the slow lane at around 37mph in 3rd gear. On the return trip I put it in 2nd gear and did the descent at about 22mph LOL. This was my first time doing the pass in this truck and I didn't want to go over the edge (you would not live). I think 3rd gear would have been just fine at 35 to 40mph. It was nice though that I did not have to touch the brake even one time. On my list is some sort of transmission temperature gauge (assume this is something you can add) just to know how things are, but the truck did seem to do fine. 55mph no problem on flats, can go a bit above 65mph if I want to burn a lot of fuel.

They packed us in like sardines at the rally. We had purchased an extra 20x20 foot space, giving us 40x20 feet, but really it would have been nice to have more. I think we are elbow room type campers.

Solar was pretty awesome. When the sun popped above the ridge at 7:30am, we were getting 150 watts, by 10am we were running the air conditioner straight off of our solar. We ran the A/C off of solar from 10am to about 5pm, then I put the Honda 2000 in eco mode and the Magnum MSH4024 did it's shore power assist thing, taking 200 watts from the solar and 500 watts from the gen to power the air conditioner (which seemed to draw around 650 watts, plus we had a small AC fan). The Midnite solar charge controller produced 6200 watt-hours on Friday from our panels, which I thought was most excellent. The little 6000 BTU A/C kept the inside around 79/80 (after we rigged a ghetto awning to keep sun off the window/door) when the outside temp was in the 100s. As a contrast, the garage pod was 108 degrees inside and the cab of the truck was over 120 degrees. We would go outside to rally events then run back to the camper and cool off :)

We met quite a few people, some from this forum. Lance, Arctic Fox, 4Wheel campers, XPcamper, other cabovers (well, two), tons of rooftop tenters, and a zillion motorcyclists tent camping.

We rode our WR250R to Sugarloaf peak on Saturday and about died in the heat when neither bike would start after we had walked around and took pictures. It seemed the fuel pumps were not coming on. I got mine started after letting it sit for a few minutes but my wife had to coast for 14 miles down the mountain. I then shut mine off to drink water and it would not start but hers did, so I coasted 10 miles, then tried mine again and it started. What I am thinking happened is some form of vapor lock? which caused the fuel pump to be unable to deliver fuel to the engine. It was over 105 degrees, the bikes were probably even hotter, and we have never ridden in those conditions at that altitude. I will have to research this further because wearing full gear and helmet in that heat with a bitchy bike is not fun. The ride up and the view were nice though! :D

Anyway, here are a few pics:

expofield.jpg

rigatexpofront.jpg

rigatexporear.jpg

sugarloaf.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
17000 lbs. wow.

Missed it this year with some vehicle final details not done. Thought about taking the KTM (as it seemed like a moto heavy agenda) but in the end stayed home and watched 4 awesome World Cup games Friday and sat. I was actually looking fwd to putting the swamp,cooler to the test. Looks like you enjoyed yourself. Welcome home.

dlh62c

Explorer
Looks like a lot of fun!

...then I put the Honda 2000 in eco mode and the Magnum MSH4024 did it's shore power assist thing, taking 200 watts from the solar and 500 watts from the gen to power the air conditioner (which seemed to draw around 650 watts, plus we had a small AC fan).

I take it your running a 24V DC system?

yabanja

Explorer
Awesome Report! So interesting that the two expo's were so extreme climatically. Persevering in those conditions is what overloading is all about. Congratulations on your successful build!

Allan

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
We could only go for quick over night, but it was worth it.
Sensational venue, well run with a terrific atmosphere.
And some very nice trucks!

Overland west 2015 _1.jpg
Overland west 2015 _2.jpg
Overland west 2015 _3.jpg

EarthCruiser will be there in force next year.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Michelle - glad someone took a picture of our rig because we forgot to.

We were there. Note the chairs in a little patch of shade under the awning. It was HOT! The truck didn't like the heat so much but we made it up and back. It was nice to see a few Fusos there this year. Last year we were it!

Buckstopper

dwmckeehen

We were camped right across from you with the stock 4runner and 2 dogs. First time for us, hoping to do it again next year. That was a LOT of fun!

IGBT

Observer
We were camped right across from you with the stock 4runner and 2 dogs. First time for us, hoping to do it again next year. That was a LOT of fun!

The black dog Java? We saw him? sitting in the 103 degree sun while your other dog was in the shade and were wondering what he was thinking.

I had told my wife that 4 or 5 other cabovers were showing up. I think I got that impression from a thread on this forum subsection a few months back. She wanted to see other cabover rigs and now doesn't trust me.

GR8ADV

Explorer
The black dog Java? We saw him? sitting in the 103 degree sun while your other dog was in the shade and were wondering what he was thinking.

I had told my wife that 4 or 5 other cabovers were showing up. I think I got that impression from a thread on this forum subsection a few months back. She wanted to see other cabover rigs and now doesn't trust me.

My bad in that front. We were suppose to be there. I am in need of a road trip. Where is your wife now.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
It was fun meeting everyone that was there, was really hopping to see a bunch of builds and ideas, but gut a lot of ideas from those that we there, Fuso, and venders. Didn't think they would let me through the course but when they said yes I jumped. Here is a little video, wanted to find clearance issues and see frame flex for mounting subframe. You guys are going to love the music.....or maybe mute it before it starts haha. I got a fair amount of scrutiny already on my build and I'm sure this video will bring more but I welcome it and realize that I am a novice at building anything like this, it's a great learning experience and I welcome any ideas or constructive criticism. Thanks

https://youtu.be/ZO0uiY8mR5s

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Nice video, but to be honest, it is not a true indication of how your setup will function when finished.

Be aware that a RHS subframe will flex like a wet noodle, as it has very little structural strength.
When I designed my setup I took this into account and will rely heavily on the monocoque design of my camper body to add torsional strength to my RHS subframe.

And you were right... the music is a bit much. ;)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Surprised at the puffs of black exhaust seen in a few of the shots - did you turn up the pump or something? Tuner box? My sprinter with 200K miles doesn't have any visible exhaust even when working hard.

Unloaded testing doesn't show much - was still surprised at the amount of flex that occurred with just the tray on the back. Are you planning on swapping out the tires for taller singles of anything? The wide rear bumper clipped the ground at a couple of points too - so taller tires would help.

I kinda liked the music myself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94