87 Suzuki Samurai

DETN8R

Observer
Have a tiny update this week. I purchased the snatch from ZOR and it should be arriving today!!

I've been trying to find time to work on the rear bumper/tire carrier but it's been hard, as anyone with a toddler can relate. I did get a little bit done. I got the upper brackets made.

2016-01-20_00-32-1.JPG

I had to abandon the idea to reuse the hitch that my friend had given me. It's 5 inches too short for the spindle to clear the tailgate. I happened to find a nice 4x4x3/16 piece of square tubing at the local steel yard that'll be perfect.
I also abandoned the idea to use the axle hub as well. The shape of this particular hub was awkward and the spindle I picked up has an easier surface to weld to.

I also picked up a chop saw. That sure made cutting steel easier!
In addition to the other tools I've bought I also picked up an assortment of hole saws.

I realized that before I can get the new bumper installed I really need to get all my tail lights sorted out. I picked up some oval led tail/turn/stop lights from harbor freight and a trailer light adapter. I also picked up the LED relay for the turn signals so I don't have any issues with running LED tail lights.

2016-01-20_00-32-2.JPG

This cardboard test I did made me realize I needed yet more hole saws.

Just need time to get things finished.

DETN8R

Observer
I got my transfercase cradle (Snatch) from ZOR in today. Looks great. I'll probably end up getting that panty liner bracket from his as well. I'll try to get it painted soon.

Myron mentioned something to me about the 1.6L swap that stood out. He mentioned that the engine sits about an inch above the front axle. Thinking I should spend some money on a lift and transfercase gears first.. Any input?

Spokerider

I think guys that put a 1.6 into a zuk have trouble with the oil pan hitting "something"......not sure what. One option is to put a 1.3 oil pan on a 1.6 block. Not sure what mods if any need to be done to accomplish that.

boxcar1

boxcar1
Be very careful when choosing the 1600 transplant engine if you intend to go that way.
Most have suffered stress cracks in the aluminum block.
It is difficult at best to find one that has none.

DETN8R

Observer
Thanks spokerider and boxcar1!

Just wanted to post an update because it's been a while since my last update.

I've got a couple projects going on right now so I've had trouble focusing on my Samurai.
I went to look at a rebuilt engine a couple of weeks ago. This was a really cool find and would have been perfect had it not been an Australian engine. It was the second engine put into a '91 Suzuki Sierra. The guy that owned it was in the military and stationed over there. I walked away because I thought it would have been a bigger project to swap all of my US emissions equipment off my engine on to his. But he had a cool Samurai, right hand drive model. Kind of regretting walking away from that engine but I would have had to get this engine swapped in a weekend and I thought swapping that stuff would take longer and then I'd have no idea if it would run well. I want it done in an afternoon if I'm just swapping 1.3 engines. I'd commit more time for the 1.6L.

Been having a hard time finding time to work on the tire carrier or maybe I'm just lazy.... I still need to figure out the trailer adapter for the tail lights or run individual lights for all the functions. I need to cut strips of flat stock to weld nuts to for mounting the bumper. Need to make the actual tire carrier portion. Basically I started this project with only the most basic plan. Haha.

Also been gearing up for what I hope will be an epic camping trip this summer. I purchased maps for the Colorado portion of the Shadow Of The Rockies Trail from http://www.transamtrail.com/shadow-of-the-rockies-trail/

I may also purchase maps for the Trans America Trail too. In the process of getting stuff for a camp kitchen. Probably going to integrate fold down table into the tailgate for food prep/tools. Also realized my tent is too small for me, my girlfriend and my daughter so I'm looking for a good 3-person plus tent. Preferably a 4-season tent.

Going to pick up an older dual fuel coleman camp stove this weekend as well as I've been reading some stuff on here in the chef forum about them and I've been finding them really cheaply on craigslist.
I got a roll table from REI today as well. It only weighs 9lbs and it was on sale.

Also, been getting some Samurai parts too. I got new o-rings for the distributor as I think I may be losing oil from it as well.

Picked up a new oil-pressure sensor as I'm tired of the tubing to the gauge leaking too, I might tee it off and run the gauge and the sensor too but I think I'm just going swap in the sensor by itself.

Ordered the Panty liner from ZOR too. For some reason I was initially under the impression that his Snatch cradle eliminated all of the factory t-case mounts.

Have spare throttle and clutch cables coming in too. I've heard of these breaking and the worst possible times so I'd like to keep some spares on hand.

Going to change the fluid in the diffs soon too. Probably way over due.

I guess I'll end this post by saying that my initial plans to swap the engine have fizzled (might have one last ray of hope but we'll see) and that I'm going to put more attention into prolonging the life of this current engine.

VwJay

I find myself in the same position as you. My 1988 Samurai needs an engine as well. I wanted to do a swap. But there are literally no 1.3s in my area and the 1.6 8v/16v are usually high mileage and beat. Also like your already finding out. None of the 1.6s are a direct swap requiring adapters, lifts, or modifications to oil pans/swaps or pump pickups. The 1.6 8v will accept your intake and exhaust manifold from the 1.3, the 16v will not. Despite it being a little more expensive it looks more likely that I'm going to have my 1.3 rebuilt. I'd do it myself but like always time is a factor. Plus having a warranty is a nice bonus. I like your roof rack and have plans for a similar one myself. However with mine, I want to make mine a full length roof rack covering everything. Possibly even overhang the windshield a bit and be able to fold down the windshield. Good luck and keep working on your Samurai.

Customizing your rig is a great idea. I have changed nearly everything on my 87 samurai, but could never recomend building your own bumper. Its a safety thing. Just get ZOR's rear bumper with tire carrier. I did and its awesome. I don't think you could build one that's even half as good and spend less. His is great, and inexpensive.

DETN8R

Observer
Thanks for the responses.

VwJay, Yeah I would love to have my 1.3L rebuilt. Only problem is that it's my Daily Driver. We'll see though....

MicroOverland. I appreciate your insight and would love to see your Samurai. If I could afford ZOR's bumper I would get it in a heartbeat. Then again, If I could afford things like that I would have a new engine for my samurai. As it stands now I am less than $150 into my rear bumper/tire carrier project. Not really sure where the safety comes into play. I don't expect it to fall off on the highway and cause an accident.

DETN8R

Observer
I got a few things done to the Samurai. My handy dandy cell phone holder broke so I had to make another one. The ball mount was ok but the clip broke so I purchased another cellphone belt clip holster and modified it. This time I only used two holes because I think using all four made the holster too stiff and it caused the clip to break.

2016-03-21_00-51-2.JPG

I've been gearing up for an epic camping trip this summer so I've been upgrading my gear. Now that I feel like I can take my daughter camping with me and my
girlfriend I've decided to upgrade my camp kitchen. I picked up a couple of coleman stoves off of craigslist.

An old used and abused 413G and a nice 3 burner (but HUGE) 426b. The 413G doesn't work and needs a few seals replaced. I was hoping to pick up a duel fuel model but these are the only ones that panned out.

2016-03-21_00-51-1.JPG

I also picked up a couple of things on sale and my favorite store, R.E.I.!

Roll Camp Table

2016-03-21_00-51-4.JPG

My daughter helped me set up the new Alps Mountaineering Edge 4 tent.

2016-03-21_00-51-8.JPG

Saturday evening I managed to talk my nephew Jason into doing the work on changing the fluid in the diffs.

2016-03-21_00-51-3.JPG

At 103k, I'm not sure if this was ever done before.

This Sunday we got some good work done on the Samurai's rear bumper/tire carrier project.
The new dewalt chop saw finally got some use.

2016-03-21_00-51-5.JPG

We got the nut plates cut and welded the nuts to them and they worked out nicely.

2016-03-21_00-51-6.JPG

2016-03-21_00-51-7.JPG

I tried and failed at getting the harbor freight led tail lights to work. I was using a trailer adapter and the EP34 relay but could not get the lights to function properly. I poured over samurai wiring diagrams and had no luck. I have quite a background in electronics if I don't say so myself. I think I need a different trailer adapter or I need to get different lights or some more lights for individual functions (Tail/Brake/Signal).

That's it for now. I'm considering heading down to Moab this coming weekend to catch the last few days of the Easter Jeep Safari but we'll see....

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I did a similar conversion to a single light setup on my bumper, using grommet style LED lights for a trailer and a converter with flat four connectors. It took some time, but the outcome is great. Having the flat 4 helped a lot when I pulled my bumper off a few months back.

If you plan on towing, you can put a splitter in line and run the trailer to one and the bumper to the other. Another benefit to this setup is, if you ever have to flat tow, you don't need magnetic lights, just run an extension flat 4 from the tow rig to your rear bumper and you're good to go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24357025?...38974712&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652541552&veh=sem

REasley

Adventurer
Since your Samurai uses a two light system instead of sharing the brake and turn signal, why don't you continue with that system. It solves your wiring problem.

Belmont Mill 021.jpg

DETN8R

Observer
I've already got these lights and I don't like the look of having extra lights in the bumper. I'll do it if it comes down to it but I don't want to if I can avoid it.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Great build so far. Why not pick up a pair of the same style lights that are Stop/Tail/Turn type that way you get what you were trying to do...Unless of course these ones are already that type if so disregard the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles