87 Suzuki Samurai

DETN8R

Observer
I've been considering doing that as well REasley.
Darkrider. Yup. These are the type you are mentioning.

DETN8R

Observer
Made a few changes to the Samurai this past week. Still no work on the rear bumper/tire carrier. Maybe this weekend.

I picked up a rampage top from Amazon only to discover that it was made incorrectly. They had sewn a zipper on upside down and it would not work. Joe (zukrider) sold me his old rampage top but it needed some work. The rear passenger tension strap had broken off. I used some climbing webbing and had my awesome girlfriend sew it on to replace the old strap. As soon as I went to install it, the drivers side strap tore off too.!!

I picked up some stainless steel webbing slides off mcmaster carr to attach some cam straps. I'm over complicating this setup I know but....

2016-04-11_21-00-1.JPG

2016-04-11_21-00-2.JPG

I think it gives the Samurai a nice look and I'm sure my daughter will appreciate the tinted windows. In fact the windows provide a lot more visibility than the stock top.

2016-04-11_21-00-3.JPG

I also got the o-rings on the distributor replaced as well.

2016-04-11_21-00-4.JPG

2016-04-11_21-00-5.JPG

2016-04-11_21-00-6.JPG

The o-ring on the housing had been coated in RTV or some other kind of sealant and the o-ring on the rotor seal was dry and cracking too.

I also adjusted the valves today and it seemed to make the engine quieter. I haven't noticed any other differences or improvements in performance either.

DETN8R

Observer
Well. This was a pretty productive Weekend!

I committed to tackling the rust underneath the battery that has been bugging me lately.

My biggest fear was that I would have serious rust on the firewall behind the front passenger fender. It turned out not being so bad on the firewall but I decided that the battery tray had to go.

I had some corrosion to deal with on the battery terminals. Not sure whats causing this but I have read that it could be overcharging or poor ground.

2016-04-26_00-13-1.JPG

I had only been seeing this much of the rusting out hole for a few months now.

2016-04-26_00-13-2.JPG

2016-04-26_00-13-3.JPG

I had asked some people on Samurai group on Facebook if it was possible to remove the fender and I felt like I could get it done. Everyone suggested that I just remove the entire front clip. After working on this for two days I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to remove the fender without some modifications. Next time I'll just remove the entire front clip.

2016-04-26_00-13-4.JPG

2016-04-26_00-13-5.JPG

I didn't plan on removing the stock battery tray, just cleaning up the rust and coating it with some POR-15 but the Battery tray was in worse condition that I thought.

2016-04-26_00-13-6.JPG

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to remove the old bracket and I used a wire wheel on the grinder to clean away as much of the rust as I could.

I cut out around the rusted out hole so that I could patch it.

2016-04-26_00-13-7.JPG

I used some steel plate to make a patch.

2016-04-26_00-13-8.JPG

This is where my lack of skill as a welder really showed. Welding the thin steel of the samurai fender to the slightly thicker steel of the patch was challenging but I think I made a good effort.

2016-04-26_00-13-9.JPG

I purchased the POR-15 super starter kit a couple of weeks ago and set out using it. I cleaned and degreased the area as best as I could.

I sprayed the area with the prep chemical and got to work fabricating a new battery tray.

I took my inspiration for the tray from Low Range Off Road's Dual Battery kit. It utilizes two mounts for the front clip for support.

2016-04-26_00-13-10.JPG

I didn't get too many pictures of it but I'll post some soon. I still need to paint the bracket.

At this point I coated the area on the fender with the POR-15 and finished the battery tray with the help of my Nephew.

2016-04-26_00-13-11.JPG

2016-04-26_00-13-12.JPG

The POR-15 went on well enough. I hope it stands up. I'll top coat it with something else shortly.

The new battery tray only requires me to drill 1 extra hole in the fender and uses one 1/4-20 nut as a spacer.

I messed up when measuring the width of the battery and I ended up being a little too narrow for the battery tie down straps. I'll probably weld some more flat stock and a make a fancier clasp like in some of the higher end battery boxes.

2016-04-26_00-13-13.JPG

2016-04-26_00-13-14.JPG

That's it for now! I turned 30 today and my awesome girlfriend made me a Samurai Birthday Cake!

DETN8R

Observer
I have gotten a lot done!

I decided it was time to replace my door panels with something else. I had seen some ABS door panels sold but figured I could save some money by making them myself.

I chose to go with 1/8" black ABS sheets from the local plastic company.
2016-06-25_00-23-27.JPG

I removed the factory door panels and removed the fabric from them to use them as a template for my new ones. I traced onto the shiny side with a gold sharpie. The textured side is the side I wanted facing out. I used a jig saw to cut off the curved part.
2016-06-25_00-23-21.JPG

I removed the plastic inserts from the doors and replaced them with some rubber insulated rivet nuts.
2016-06-25_00-23-17.JPG

2016-06-25_00-23-18.JPG

I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. I used some 10-32 Stainless steel button head screws.
2016-06-25_00-23-16.JPG

I picked up a new larger cooler from Amazon since our Yeti Roadie wont cut it on longer trips. I went with the Pelican Elite 45qt cooler.
It takes up a sizable area on the roof rack.
2016-06-25_00-23-26.JPG

All the gear packs around it well enough. Or so I thought during the test load.
2016-06-25_00-23-25.JPG

We took an overnight trip to Mount Herman a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to see how the roof rack and our camping kit worked out.
My girlfriends family has a long history of river camping on rafts and her mom gave us some old dry bags to pack our gear in in case it rained and the stuff on the roof rack got wet. I finally got a Hi-Lift as well and removed my spare tire since it wasn't holding air and mounted the hi-lift.
2016-06-25_00-23-14.JPG

I still want to get some gear that packs better. I took advantage of the Memorial day sale going on at REI and got the Thermarest Quadra camp chairs for us. These pack up really nicely and the legs become the case. The next piece of gear I want to downsize are my old REI 3.5 Camp Beds. I had originally purchased them for winter camping 8 years ago and they have been used every since but they are big and bulky. I took the Coleman 426b on this trip because of the two camp stoves I had acquired it was the newest. It didn't perform as I expected and I'm not sure if it was just my unfamiliarity with this type of stove or if there was a problem with the Stove. I'm going to give the 413G stove a try next since I have replaced the plunger and tank cap on it already. The trip was pretty fun despite our late start. The inside of the Samurai didn't seem at all as cramped as it had last summer on the few trips we took it on and it was extremely nice to have all the stuff up on the roof rack and out of the way. The new tent had a buckle break and I had to use a zip tie to hold the rainfly down on that corner of the tent.

Fathers Day Weekend I was determined to make some progress on the new rear bumper and I committed to figuring out what was going on with the LED tail lights and the trailer adapter. Some fiddling around confirmed that I had a poor connection through the parasite connectors that someone had used to wire up a trailer plug.
2016-06-25_00-23-9.JPG

The tail lights worked! I began removing the old bumper and permanently wiring in the trailer adapter. I removed all the hardware and brackets for the bumper and the license plate brackets.
2016-06-25_00-23-7.JPG

I made some wire labels at work using our shrink tubing label printer so that I could accurately identify the wires in the future should I choose to rewire them again. I used some adhesive filled shrink tubing and soldered the wires to the trailer adapter to make sure that I had good solid connections that wouldn't corrode over time.
2016-06-25_00-23-8.JPG

Since I had already made all the brackets for the new bumper I simply had to clean them up with a sanding disk on a grinder and tack everything in place. I used some clamps and got the new bumper tacked to the brackets so that I could take the whole thing to a more qualified welder.
2016-06-25_00-23-6.JPG

I asked one of the professional welders at work to weld the brackets on for me and he did a great job!
2016-06-25_00-23-4.JPG

2016-06-25_00-23-3.JPG

When I installed the bumper the next day everything lined up perfectly! I did have the bend the top brackets up a little more as they warped just a tiny bit from the welding but everything looked great!
2016-06-25_00-23-2.JPG

Now I just need to get the tire carrier portion done so that I can mount a spare tire, the hi-lift jack, jerry can, license plate.

That's it for now.

DETN8R

Observer
Wanted to do another quick update tonight.

When I owned my Jeep I was lucky enough to start wheeling close to town and with people who had OBA setups. A good mentor of mine had a nice relatively stock TJ with a YORK compressor and I was jealous of that thing. Eventually I purchased a Co2 tank from someone on the co4x4.org message board and I ran a 20lb Co2 tank for several years before destroying my jeeps drivetrain and eventually selling my jeep and all of my four wheeling stuff, Co2 tank included.

I've honestly only taken my Samurai out a handful of times and I would have loved to air down but I did not have a convenient way to air back up. After reading a few reviews I decided to bite the bullet and get the CKMA12 ARB On Board Air Compressor. I'm hoping to use it on July 4th weekend here in a day or so.

In all honesty, I'm a horrible planner and most of my trips end up with me leaving around noon and not setting up camp until it's already dark.

I had already thought about using the Samurai's jack mount under the hood as the base for something and when I got the idea to order the compressor I knew it would be the perfect location. I had to cut off the top loop that the jack used to hold itself in place. The compressor came with a mounting bracket and a baseplate which I used to mark and drill the mounting holes. 3 of the holes went through some material but the 4th hole really just needed to notch out the round hole in the middle of the jack mount. The baseplate would sandwich the jack mount with the mounting bracket.

2016-06-30_00-45-4.JPG

The wiring harness left a bit to be desired. I've been doing electrical work for the past 12 years and I'll say that it was nice to have a well made harness come with this compressor. It was pretty well labeled and made but the layout under the hood of the Samurai .... it kind of sucks. So I wasn't happy with the location of the control relay I chose.

2016-06-30_00-45-2.JPG

I actually unmounted it from here and ziptied this to some other bits of the harness.

There was an unpunched grommet in the firewall for the samurai that allowed me to run the switch wires to the left of the steering column to a hole that me and my nephew carved out with a dremel and utility knife. The compressor came with the fancy carling switches that ARB is known for. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of that switch.

I had to run to Home Depot to pick up some plumbing for the compressor. It came with a cut off switch which will shut the compressor off when the pressure in the tank and lines reaches 100psi. The compressor has two ports for the Locker solenoids but only 1 port for a standard 1/4" NPT fitting. So I had to use a brass Tee with a nipple to connect the Shutoff Switch and quick connect fitting for an air hose.

2016-06-30_00-45-3.JPG

2016-06-30_00-45-1.JPG

I tested the compressor out a bit but I did not fill any tires. Though I'm pretty confident that this compressor will suit my needs just fine.

DETN8R

Observer
Made some progress on the tire carrier.

Got the swing welded to the spindle and the spindle welded to the bumper.
I had the spindle extended about 1/2" with a piece of steel the same diameter.

2016-07-20_01-02-3.JPG

I came across Trail Gears Polyurethane tire mount and immediately decided to use it. I love simplicity in mounting. I picked up a 1' 1"-8 bolt from fastenal and some washers and lock washers.

2016-07-20_01-13-4.JPG

Still need to add a diagonal support but I'm liking the tire carrier so far.

2016-07-20_01-02-2.JPG

I had picked up the latch off of Amazon a long time ago. I was disappointed that I couldn't bolt it to the swing so I had to weld it.

2016-07-20_01-13-2.JPG

The other side of the latch wend on easily enough.

2016-07-20_01-13-1.JPG

2016-07-20_01-02-1.JPG

So far I'm really liking the setup. Going to add supports for the hi-lift, water can and gas can.

I picked up some HDPE, the same stuff cutting boards are made out of. Going to use it to make the prep tables on both the tailgate and the swing.

2016-07-20_01-13-3.JPG

That's it for now.

Still need to pack the bearings and get the prep tables welded on.

CoolMooseMan

Samurai Investor
Maybe I missed it, and the tire carrier is my next project, but what did you use for the spindle?

Also did you have a reason you made it swing out opposite the tailgate? Are you going to have two tables fold down on both sides?

Last edited:

DETN8R

Observer
Sorry. I must have read an old version of the page when I responded earlier.
Yes, I will be having two fold out tables.

DETN8R

Observer
I've got the tire carrier finished! More or less.

I got a diagonal support welded. I had a slight issue with warpage while welding. I tacked another diagonal to the opposite side of the main tire support and strapped it down while it cooled.

2016-07-27_00-00-11.JPG

Once that was done I welded a bolt to the swing and made a bracket to secure the top of the hi-lift.

2016-07-27_00-00-1.JPG

Now that would complete any standard tire carrier well enough but I wanted to mount a jerry can or a water can so I made an additional support for one. I'll likely add another in the future but time was running our for me to go camping this past weekend. I was still doing some welding Saturday morning before heading out that afternoon.

2016-07-27_00-00-10.JPG

I ran into some trouble. I had asked my nephew to grind away all the surface rust on all the metal and he accidentally stripped the threads on one of the bumpers mounting bolts and nut plate. The nut plate was salvageable I just need a tap. So I ran to Fastenal Friday morning to grab some new bolts and a 12M-1.75 Tap. I got home and fixed the nut plate and got everything mostly painted.

2016-07-27_00-00-9.JPG

Everything was looking good except I needed a spot for my license plate. I used some scrap aluminum I had from making my mirror relocation brackets and the stock Samurai license plate bracket.

2016-07-27_00-00-8.JPG

I got the prep tables mounted and everything packed up and was on my way to camp! We headed to mount Herman again for a 3 night trip.

The prep tables worked out great! I used some hinge material from home depot to mount the HDPE to the tailgate and the tire carrier.

2016-07-27_00-00-4.JPG

2016-07-27_00-00-2.JPG

My Coleman camp stove fit perfectly on the tailgate which is quite lucky for me since I didn't measure anything! I drilled some holes into the HDPE for some paracord hangers.

2016-07-27_00-00-3.JPG

The water can mount I made worked great with our water can. I turned the can on it's side and it made for a great way to get water out of the can and into our water bottles and pots and pans for cooking and cleanup.

2016-07-27_00-00-5.JPG

The whole setup worked out quite well. I need to refine our camp kitchen and kit a bit.

2016-07-27_00-00-7.JPG

I made a snafu when I was showing off my tire carrier to my friend and I stood on it and I bent my spindle! I was able to bend it mostly back into place but I am disappointed with it's strength. I will be upgrading...

Despite that I did get some time to do a little bit of wheeling and playing around.

2016-07-27_00-00-6.JPG

My daughter decided to climb in and pretend that she was the one driving after I got out to take some pictures.

Some things I'd like to improve

• Tailgate needs way to lock into the open position. I used a strap to secure it but that method seems clumsy. Same goes for the tire carrier.
  • The water can being able to mount on it's side was great for getting water out but we had to run around the tire carrier to get access to the spout. It would be nice if we could dispense water from inside the kitchen area.
  • Stronger spindle.
  • Want another spot for another can for longer trips.

I also discovered that my trailer light adapter didn't allow for my hazard lights to function properly. I think I might be making my own trailer light adapter soon.

DETN8R

Observer
Too tired to post another in depth write up so I'll just post these two pics. Picked up this 93/94 EFI 16 Valve Automatic Suzuki Sidekick yesterday! 141K miles.

2016-08-04_01-39-1.JPG

2016-08-04_01-39-2.JPG

Has a sputtering/bucking issue around 1500-2000k RPM. Adam seems to think it's a fuel mixture problem. Seller thought it was an electrical issue with the transmission. Not sure yet.

CoolMooseMan

Samurai Investor
Awesome, so far that is my favorite upgrade that I have done with mine. It makes longer trips, especially on the roads to somewhere, much more bearable. Also with the MPI you don't need to worry about wheeling angles killing the engine like with a carb.

DETN8R

Observer
I can't wait. I noticed someone removed the valve cover at some point because there is a bolt missing so I need to pull that and see whats inside.
Removing the Suzuki Security System since it seems to be randomly going off. Someone in the past had already cut the wire to the alarm siren under the hood.

Discovered that the 60Amp main fuse had blown at some point and they decided to just bend the terminals over on themselves, bypassing the blown fuse. So I'm in the process of tracking down electrical demons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior