I broke my LR3

psykokid

Explorer
A couple of years ago a guy had a big sugar pine cone drop and break the glass on the roof of his LR3 while on a night run..

zelatore

Explorer
I honestly don't think it's objects hitting it in most cases... but flooring can't hurt..

I wouldn't think so either. I never heard or saw anything hit mine, but there was a clear bullseye starting point for my cracks that looks exactly like a rock hit in a windshield.

JimBiram

Adventurer
I've replaced my roof glass twice. First time was from my knee putting too much pressure, but second time I was offroad, watching some jeeps try to climb the first waterfall on Gold Mtn when one kicked some small rocks in the air and one came down on top. Lesson learned...stay away from Jeeps haha!

The second time the glass guys brought the wrong glass out. It was for LR3 with satellite which I don't have, but the glass piece was polycarbonate, not glass which was strange. When they brought correct piece it was the usual glass.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
The second time the glass guys brought the wrong glass out. It was for LR3 with satellite which I don't have, but the glass piece was polycarbonate, not glass which was strange. When they brought correct piece it was the usual glass.

Now that's odd - I've obviously got a glass roof and I do have the sat antenna/radio (even if I've never used it). I think I'd like a polycarb roof if possible - less chance of breaking it again, and lighter right at the top of the rig. Sounds like a winner to me.

Campndad

Essayons!!
I wonder if any one has had good results from putting some sort of see thru decal made specifically for the size of the glass roof. Seems like I saw one somewhere with a British flag. It may allow for some extra protection possibly.

iowalr4

Adventurer
You could probably apply the 3m paint protection film type stuff and have good results with that.

unseenone

Explorer
Body flex, maybe?

This is what I believe. The double frame on these vehicles are over engineered to the max. However, the entire cab is held on with just a few bolts, and some rubber. When I heard mine 'creak" it was when backing over a 2" lip into the garage and weird stuff like that. This was a regular occurrence since I had it. That leads me to believe there may be enough flex under some circumstances to simply stress the glass, repeatedly and cause it to eventually crack. Mine started on the inside 2nd row corner of the sunroof, at least that is where you could see it first... There was not HIT.... Since it was changed, no creak yet... so time will tell. Those are my thoughts on the matter..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne