Looking for a simple reliable battery monitoring system

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
My truck already has dual batteries, one isolated. Im going to get a solar battery tender in the near future, but I'd like to be able to reliably monitor my batteries because the not so distant future has an ARB fridge in it, along with various other things that will run 24/7 while I'm traveling. What are my best options?

1stDeuce

Explorer
I have a Trimetric in our "home" to monitor the batteries. (Off grid solar setup in a 5-er) They're pretty dang awesome for sorting out a system, and keeping tabs on it, but for one battery in an application that only sees intermittent use, probably overkill and expense that you don't really need. The cheapo alternative that many people use is a monitor meant for testing rc car motors I think. It handles loads to and from a single battery well, with almost as much information as the Trimetric. It's called a "Watt's up" meter. Gives volts, amps, and amp-hours, similar to Trimetric.

On the really cheap and easy side, I put one of led bar-style indicators in my camper to monitor the house battery. (Check my build thread for a picture.) It works, but it doesn't start coming off full until the battery is down to about 75%. I basically use it to make sure I'm staying above that all the time, since I don't like the battery to get much lower than that. On longer trips in the cold months, with the heater running more, my solar is only adequate on sunny days. If it clouds up some, the indicator will come down off full over the first few days. It seems to be pretty smart, and does a fairly good job of monitoring battery status once it comes off full, and will tell me if it catches back up, or if I need to run the truck a bit in the morning, or clean the panel. It's not just a voltage meter, as it has logic and seems to stay low even if the panel brings voltage up during the day, if it's not actually keeping up with demand. :)

If I did it again, I'd probably go with a Watts Up, or do what Colorado Outback posted above, but use the volt meter that has voltage on the top line and amperage on the bottom. (ebay) Resting battery voltage can give you a good idea of the battery's state. Amperage would be useful to tell you if the solar panel and charge controller are working properly. Amp-hours is useful for a telling you if your setup is adequate, or how much power you used vs. how much has been put back in, so you can get an idea if you're borderline, or really OK with your setup.

Last edited:
B

BPD53

Victron Energy BMV 700. Simple and easy. I have the Trimetric and Victron both. I like the Victron better. The Victron can do alot more and is cheaper. Good customer service too. Good luck with whatever you choose. They are both actually pretty good.

B

BPD53

No problem. The 702 will monitor a second battery voltage and temps too.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Might get more responses to this in the power/12v/solar subforum

if just a voltmeter will do, this looks nice

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JUI7VW8...UTF8&colid=QWZ1BSZYG6VW&coliid=I177VCS653GUFB

61kuYKLPkjL._SL1001_.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Amazon also offers a panel with three holes so you can have two volt meters and one USB output as well. Being able to see both voltages at the same time is really useful for a dual battery system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne