Offroad teardrop build

xtremexj

Adventurer
That looks great! :ylsmoke:

Any reason you didnt paint it silver to match the jeep?

Tried to find a silver but nothing really closer in a latex. This color is called Tinfoil and it kind of hits between the silver of my Jeep and the billet of my wife's so it can go with either depending on what we are towing with.

xtremexj

Adventurer
It's been far too long since I posted any updates so here's a few. I decided to try my hand at building my own multi-axis coupler seeing that I just plain don't have the $325CDN to buy a MaxCoupler right now. I started with some old control arms I had laying around and used those for the vertical and horizontal pivots for the hitch. Poly bushings provide too soft on the vertical end so I had my younger brother machine me up a solid aluminum bushing and used some UHMW plastic I had leftover from a skid plate and made a top and bottom washer for things to pivot on. The aluminum bushings works perfectly and keeps the bolt straight up and down instead of moving 20* of so that the poly bushing did. The rotational point is comprised of a 1" bolt that pivots at one end and welded to the other. Took it out for a little test and seems to work fine but no pics of it in action as of yet.

xtremexj

Adventurer
The new coupler worked out perfectly and the trailer and Jeep are still level!! Also got the spare tire mount bolted on which made it handle better with a little more tongue weight.

I also finally finished up the bolt-on hitch that I have been working on so we can put our bike rack in if we decide to take the Jeep and trailer to go mountain biking instead of the truck and trailer. The small holes on either side of the hitch will each have a KC Cyclone LED light attached to them for back up lights once spring hits. It's too damn cold out to do any soldering right now.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
If I had the metal skills and time I'd try something like this. Your amazing build feeds my never-to-be-realized fantasy about building a trailer like yours.

Great work from start to almost finished!

xtremexj

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. :) Now I'm just waiting for my awning/roof rack mounts and should be pretty much done at that point. Off course those will have to wait until the spring now as well as getting some actual use out of it. I've definitely learned what things I would do differently on my next build but I'll have to wait a while for that or the wife will shoot me. LOL!!

MagicMtnDan - everyone starts at the beginning with limited abilities. All it takes is some ideas, time and practice and anybody can learn how to build a cool project. Get started already!! ;)

KC10Chief

Wow! This thing is awesome! I've been planning a build that is a similar size to tow behind my 2015 JKUR. I was going to have storage under the floor but I really like your stand up design instead. I've read through this thread twice now and am totally rethinking my design. I have a couple of questions. First, what did you use to paint or coat the wood on the bottom of the trailer that is exposed to the elements? It looks black in the photo. Did you feel that the 2x2 11ga steel is good enough? I was planning to use 2x3 11ga steel. Maybe that's overkill. Also, have you weighed this thing yet?

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I am impressed with how this has turned out. I am working on a trailer right now. Making it out of my son's old Xj to match my rig, it is going very well. I will be very basic inside but hopefully will do well off road. Looking at yours it makes me want to take a pop-up I bought (I got it for $75 with the intention of using parts of it to help on my Xj camper but have decided to not tear into it) and build something very similar to what you have done. The nice thing is it already has several things that would be missing from my currant build. ie; gray tank, toilet, heater are already incorporated in it. It would not be as off road capable but would be great for a over landing base camp.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Wow! This thing is awesome! I've been planning a build that is a similar size to tow behind my 2015 JKUR. I was going to have storage under the floor but I really like your stand up design instead. I've read through this thread twice now and am totally rethinking my design. I have a couple of questions. First, what did you use to paint or coat the wood on the bottom of the trailer that is exposed to the elements? It looks black in the photo. Did you feel that the 2x2 11ga steel is good enough? I was planning to use 2x3 11ga steel. Maybe that's overkill. Also, have you weighed this thing yet?

Thanks for the compliments. The underside is coated with brush-on roofing tar. Seems to be the common way to protect the bottom of wooden teardrops. For the size and weight of the trailer I think the 2x2 is fine but if I was going to be above 2500lbs loaded I would probably go to 2x3. The dry weight is about 1400lbs so it's not too bad and I'm sure with all my gear it shouldn't be above 2000lbs loaded.

Great build! Is the "black trim with an insert molding" you're referring to the trim between the walls and the roof? It looks great and presumably is a good seal. Do you have more details on this and a Canadian source? Thanks.

Yes, the trim I referred to is at the edge from the roof to the walls and is available through any RV dealer. It is very expensive but gives a nice finished edge that looks professional. I got a deal on mine and it cost about $85 per 16' (x3) length plus the insert trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior