Wrangler Window Security Mesh/Bars

lysol

Explorer
Has anyone done this on Wranglers as seen on various Land Rovers?

Some pics I found:

disco%20full%20set%20window%20guards.jpg

camping228003-vi.jpg

pm1180.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
That looks great. Interested as well if you find out some info. Might have to be a custom job unfortunately.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Prisoner transportation, civil disturbence, why not just do all the outer windows. Add some kevlar. Afterall? Why be confused with local L.E. Or military?

In mud, all they'd be is a vision killer. More added wieght. Branches would either bend break or get caught.

While your at it? Why not add a public address system as well? Oh? And some form of chemical agent for crowd control purposes as one approaches the greeting populace. Baah humbug

rubicon91

Explorer
There is a company making JK Skins now. They mount to roll bars etc and give molle mounting options as well as quick clamps. Looks cool. It is not for the windows but with them in I am sure that your stuff would be secure behind them. http://www.xjeeps.com/

surly

surly adventurer
I like the idea. Last thing I want while on the road is a smash and grab ruining my day.

lysol

Explorer
The wife and I are planning a long trip in South America in between jobs coming up and I want to turn the cargo area into a more secure trunk.

Bristol

Observer
Jeep Protection

I wanted to do something like this because the soft tops on Jeeps are just too easy to cut or unzip. I don't think you can prevent someone really determined and equipped with tools, but the idea is to deter theft of convenience. This was especially important to me because I hike and will leave my Jeep at isolated trail heads for hours and hours. I could not find anything commercially available though, so a custom solution was needed.

This was my solution. Inside everything is locked up - Tuffy center console, Tuffy stereo cover, Action Packers locked in Swag Offroad exo-skeletons. Outside the Rotopax, tire carrier and cargo box are locked too. The tire carrier pretty much blocks access to the rear of the Jeep. I then made some mounts that hang from the roof rack and hold aluminum sand ladders on both sides of the Jeep, protecting the side windows. There is a piece of angle welded to the bottom of the mounts that the sand ladders nest into. Then there are studs in four places that line up with holes in the sand ladder. Threaded plastic knobs and some custom self centering washers then go onto the studs and secure the sand ladders nice and tight. The cheap security solution that I came up with was to drill a hole for a hitch receiver lock (cheap from Harbor Freight) that then goes through the sand ladder and mount bars to lock the sand ladders in place. A spring on the shaft of the receiver lock holds it under tension so that it doesn't rattle. You cannot remove the sand ladders without a cutting torch, other tools, or for me.... the key to the lock! :)

unnamed.jpg

To me there are other advantages to mounting the sand ladders this way:
1. The previous owner had them bolted onto the roof rack. This side mount makes them much more accessible. It only takes a few seconds to remove the knobs and lock.
2. It helps protect the soft top from brush/branches. Yes, before this addition I had a branch actually puncture my soft top on a rough trail.
3. It helps to bullet proof the Jeep. I already have a bunch of 3/16" steel armor. If I have to run from banditos and get shot at these will help to protect me. :sombrero:
4. They look ************.
5. They help to Zombie-proof the Jeep. Zombies would tear through a soft top pretty quick, but not with these sand ladders in place!

If you don't want to fab something yourself, then there is a company in Germany that makes something similar for the Land Rover that can probably be adapted. They're pretty expensive though. As a bonus they include plastic securing knobs that lock (a nicer, but more expensive solution compared to my hitch lock) and their ladder mounts fold down to make a table/platform. I may convert one of mine to a fold-down platform in the future.

Kirk

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Until recently, I own a high mountain cabin. Break-ins, door kicks, tresspassing, assault and battery, robbery over the years took its toll on this aging writer.

The invention of portable cutting tools changed the whole concept of wilderness security. As locks themselves, including cable became victems literally overnight to wannabe vandals. Wilderness Law Enforcement does not meld well with well known county and state budget cuts. The crooks know this. And they take advantage whenever opportunity presents itself. Mixed with the overwhealming illicit drug trade the list could get lengthly.

Such portability has resulted in total to complete vehicle stripping leaving nothing other than a frame on a few bricks.

Radial tramsmission type alarms to one's personal reciever unit would be my choice. But (?)

My theme has been this. If a thief seriously desires, he'll figure a way to make it his.

Eventually.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like the idea. Last thing I want while on the road is a smash and grab ruining my day.

Why not just go high tech and put security film on the glass? You don't add much weight, don't drill holes in your body panels, don't appear to be some sort of paranoid type and your not calling attention to your vehicle as if your transporting gold bars either?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Until recently, I own a high mountain cabin. Break-ins, door kicks, tresspassing, assault and battery, robbery over the years took its toll on this aging writer.

The invention of portable cutting tools changed the whole concept of wilderness security. As locks themselves, including cable became victems literally overnight to wannabe vandals. Wilderness Law Enforcement does not meld well with well known county and state budget cuts. The crooks know this. And they take advantage whenever opportunity presents itself. Mixed with the overwhealming illicit drug trade the list could get lengthly.

Such portability has resulted in total to complete vehicle stripping leaving nothing other than a frame on a few bricks.

Radial tramsmission type alarms to one's personal reciever unit would be my choice. But (?)

My theme has been this. If a thief seriously desires, he'll figure a way to make it his.

Eventually.

No doubt
For remote location unattended property a notification system with two way communication and video. Perhaps if you were sinister enough some sort of defense mechanism you could trigger once you confirm that you have an issue with an uninvited guest such as triggering bear spray, having a hot plate electrical charge point etc. Out side of that all you can do is not call attention to your property, not make it appear as if your housing gold bars behind the obvious security measures of bars and fancy locks etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne