Wrangler Window Security Mesh/Bars

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What I find interesting is that in all the years leaving vehicles in the back country the biggest issue we had was fuel theft! I never hear anyone on Expedition forums talking about how their fuel tank was slashed open or fuel line cut and drained of fuel etc. hear lots of talk about locking down and securing gear but we never had gear stolen as long as it was stowed and not left out for easy walking off etc. But fuel man I have some nutty fuel theft stories including a few that resulted in several folks having to walk a long way out to get help to go back and recover their vehicle after having someone cut open a fuel tank or cut a fuel line to steal fuel.

Heck we even had the bus fuel tank slashed and drained once on a trip were we took a bunch of HS kids back country back packing. Got back to the bus a week later to a slashed open fuel tank and not a drop of fuel.

I like the game camera trick some have mentioned at least you can get photos of your criminal and let authorities know and chances are they will know who it is that broke into your rig or slashed your fuel tank etc.

Last edited:

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Why few overlanders experience serioue theft is mostly due to their remaining with or close to their vehicle. A poster in here stated he wishes to park his rig unattended for hours at a time. All I am trying to convey here folks is todays outdoor world has progressed into a world where troubles even social burdens within and around our communities are also present in our wilderness.

Why is this?

Simple... population increase! The post is about securing or making a vehicle and its contents more theft proof. Outside screens have been introduced as a deterent. By zooming in a bit I see tiny screws on the bottum coupled with a gutter hanger at the top. This solution in my opinion not entended as a serious window theft guard. An example would be iron bars over windows on a home or busness. Not when door handle lock popping is so much easier and convienant to the thief.

In my youth, our wilderness was very wild in the sence that other than Yellowstone or Yosemite was considered as busy during the summer. Now look at it.

If one could have conversation with wildlife law enforcement officers I bet you could learn all sorts of facts about park crime. Remember it is not only crime against persons, but wildlife, arsen as well as environmental law enforcement.

Regarding unattended rig out in the boondocks? I much prefer exploring during the week day and especially not say on a day or two before memorial day. Or when big game season is beginning. But, again i rarely if ever go with a group.

And Kirt,

I tried fighting the zombies for years, I am old now, broken and rode rough. I have decided if it all goes bad I'll remain here in my home and hold my wifes hand and await whatever fate has in store. But I remind you, growing up as a boy I recall truely fearing the Russions nuking us. Information technology only existed at the sound of air raid sirens sounding in your community at the time.

Last edited:

JCTex

Observer
FWIW, I found an installer who's done this stuff for vehicles. They're hard to find. I have a tentative est of $750 to put this "burglar" 3M film inside my rear lift hatch, my two side fixed windows, and all 4 doors. The front doors will be tinted a little more than factory but not so much that I can't enjoy the scenery. All other glasses will be pretty dark, both for heat protection and to deter prying eyes.

Take care you get the thickness you want. Also, it works better on rollup wimdows if it's installed all the way to the edges. That means removing the door liners and the glasses. That's okay with me because I want to get inside the door shells and apply ceramic bead insulation, anyway.

Next step is find a way to harden the front doors and the rear swing door. Tubular locks is not going to get it done. If it was a van or pickup, after market stuff is out there. Not so for Jeeps that I know of.

I intend to get the windows done late this month.

Jerry

lysol

Explorer
FWIW, I found an installer who's done this stuff for vehicles. They're hard to find. I have a tentative est of $750 to put this "burglar" 3M film inside my rear lift hatch, my two side fixed windows, and all 4 doors. The front doors will be tinted a little more than factory but not so much that I can't enjoy the scenery. All other glasses will be pretty dark, both for heat protection and to deter prying eyes.

Take care you get the thickness you want. Also, it works better on rollup wimdows if it's installed all the way to the edges. That means removing the door liners and the glasses. That's okay with me because I want to get inside the door shells and apply ceramic bead insulation, anyway.

Next step is find a way to harden the front doors and the rear swing door. Tubular locks is not going to get it done. If it was a van or pickup, after market stuff is out there. Not so for Jeeps that I know of.

I intend to get the windows done late this month.

Jerry

Are you talking about the 3M Scotchshield Tint?

lysol

Explorer
I was just thinking, if I were to put up a cargo barrier to section off the cargo area from the main cab and someone broke the front windows, would they be able to hit the unlock button and successfully unlock the rear cargo door (5th door)? I know the alarm would going off, but I'm curious. (I don't have my doors on my Wrangler to test this out myself... ).

I guess a good test would be to roll the windows down, lock the Wrangler, reach in and hit the unlock button a couple times (this will set off the factory alarm), and see if the rear cargo door is unlocked. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

surly

surly adventurer
Take the doors or unplug them and you can't unlock the back w/o setting off the alarm
That is the extent of my testing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior