Need Advice on AWD Safari Hightop Build

TheWaxCowboy

Autodidactic Conversion
I picked up this '97 GMC Safari about a month ago with intentions of converting it into a camper van. It was a manufactured conversion van bought in New Jersey, I bought it in Colorado after the 2nd owner made considerable modifications. It's in good shape at 119k miles (engine and all connected equipment replaced 20k ago after major issues.)

I have never worked on vehicles and am teaching myself just about everything i need to know. I definitely do not want to cut corners (if budget allows) on the build. That being said, I am looking for lots of advice. Have seen some pretty inspiring builds here, hopefully I can do the same.

My first project was rather straightforward. Pulling out all the interior walls and seating. Then removing all extra wiring left over from conversion van accessories. My first step in construction is to lay down the electrical system. I am planning to add several LED lights in the ceiling, a few speakers, either in the ceiling or cabinetry, and possibly a few 12v sockets. I'd also like to install a roof rack (2 load bars) to the roof. The topper is fiberglass and I have been searching for bolt on roof racks to save money and have a cleaner look than installing false gutters and buying thule/yakima rack.

Then I am planning to insulate and install wood paneling to the walls. From there I will build a platform bed across the back of the van with drawers pulling off the back as well as a few cabinets that open to the front. I would like to build a useful kitchen off the tailgate, which is hard to design with the door setup (top half hatch, bottom half barn doors).

After that I'd like to put either a 2" or 4" lift and bulk up the tires. I'm hoping to do a fair amount of highway driving and not really sure how different tire sizes will affect my ability to drive hours on the interstate. Then maybe a rear tire mount for full size spare and some auxiliary lights on the front.

That is everything I have considered thus far and would love as much input as possible!

IMG_0528.jpgIMG_0618.jpgIMG_0619.jpgIMG_0621.jpgIMG_1202.jpg

Last edited:

TheWaxCowboy

Autodidactic Conversion
2nd battery

Can anyone provide a good link or video explaining how to wire a second, deep cycle battery for lighting, audio and accesories?

TheWaxCowboy

Autodidactic Conversion
Thanks for the info,

Yes, I bought the teardrop too, wasn't looking for a camper but it turned out to be a pretty sweet deal. I wanted to flip the trailer but the other half had different plans...

borison

Adventurer
I would look closely at dcbryan's build. His kitchen looks very well thought out. Good luck, hope to see more of your build.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Sounds like you have a decent plan.

I've done lots of hwy miles with the 2" lift and 31s on Grumpy. Most find the ride of LT tires on these vans to be more stable due to the sidewalls not flexing around as much. Most popular tires I've seen on these vans are BFG All-Terrains and Yokohama Geolander ATs.

TheWaxCowboy

Autodidactic Conversion
Dcbryan has an amazing build thread, I spent a few days going through his 73 page google docs research bibliography.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior