Budget Portable Air 2015

v_man

Explorer
Another vote for the MV-90, just got it and it fills my 37's from 15psi to 30 in less than 3 minutes...

$100 less than the 450p, and twice the CFM.

Edit : I actually timed the refill , MV-90 took 37" KM2 from 15-30 psi in 2:00 minutes .

Last edited:

landsharkman

Adventurer
The Viair 440P will do 37" tires for 15-30 in 2Min 40sec and since I am only running 33" it will fill them from 15 to 30 in less than 2min

97LXAZ

I have the one from TJM. Not super powerful but works great for the minimal use it gets. Took about 4 min to air up from 20 psi to 38 psi on my Nitto 315s. I also hope to one day have tanked OBA.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Dollar for dollar you still cannot beat a MV50. IMO

i recently picked one up for less than $60 on amazon

And if you want a bit more volume and power, go for the MV90

Its still under $200

Yep. Hard to beat for the price and performance. I've got two MV-50s one hard mounted and one portable. I added a K&N style filter and give it a shot of oil every so often to help keep it lubed.

I used one almost daily to refill a leaking beadlocked 37" BFG KM2 for about 2 weeks until I had time to demount and reseal the beadlock. I use the hard mounted one with a pressure switch to run my ARB locker.

I use it regularly to air up after going off road.

I also have a larger MaxAir4.0 (knock off of the Aussie Extreme Out back compressor) but it's so big and heavy to pull out I rarely use it. Is easier to grab the MV50.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
It's got a Teflon piston ring, so technically it doesn't "need" to be lubed, but I just give the intake filter squirt of WD-40 when it is running. I figure it's like the old oil soaked foam filters on your lawnmower. The oiled filter helps trap more dirt, and helps lube the compressor at the same time. I swapped in K&N style filter, but should work with the original foam style, too.

tmandell

I have had a Viar 88P for about three years now. My use is a little different then most people here but it has worked very well for me. When I first bought it I timed it at 11 min to air up a tire on my truck. Don't let the long time fool you though, the tire in question was a 245-75R16 and I started at zero PSI with the rim on the ground and filled it to 80 PSI. The vast majority of this time was to increase the pressure from 40-80 PS. I think it took something like 3 min to go from zero to 30 PSI.

My one complaint about the compressor is the short electrical leads. For most this would not be a problem but there is a long way between the battery and the rear left tire of a Chevy 2500 long box. I had intended to make an extension for the leads, but this became unnecessary as I installed a second battery on the driver side.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It's got a Teflon piston ring, so technically it doesn't "need" to be lubed, but I just give the intake filter squirt of WD-40 when it is running. I figure it's like the old oil soaked foam filters on your lawnmower. The oiled filter helps trap more dirt, and helps lube the compressor at the same time. I swapped in K&N style filter, but should work with the original foam style, too.

Just a note but WD40 isn't a good substitute for oil. It's very short term because it evaporates out pretty quick. Pick up some air tool oil and use that. If it's needed at all, it'll do a better job.

River19

Observer
Timely thread.......I have burnt out several Cobalt Lowes specials and a couple HF compressors, and a "Slime" one from a local auto parts store over the past couple years just refilling trailer tires etc. It is the kiss of death to try and inflate me Rams tires up to the 80+ psi in the rear even if just topping off.

The tires on my tundra are typically at about 37psi........I assume the MV50 could handle repeated refills from say 20-25psi to 37psi? What about occasionally topping off 5psi in 60-85psi tires as on my 2500?

Thanks

carbon60

Explorer
The tires on my tundra are typically at about 37psi........I assume the MV50 could handle repeated refills from say 20-25psi to 37psi? What about occasionally topping off 5psi in 60-85psi tires as on my 2500?

My MV50 has brought my tires from 18-38 psi a zillion times without trouble. I really need to replace the leads on it, though, as they are undersized. I can blow the 30A fuse by stop/starting it at 35 psi.

A.

srserl

Observer
I bought the VIAir 90p several years ago when my vehicle (FJ Cruiser) was stock. I worried about upgrading the compressor when I put on 34" tires, but it still does a good job and will fill all 4 from 16psi to 40psi in about 20 min without ever having the thermal protection circuit kick in, even in hot weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior