Budget Portable Air 2015

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Timely thread.......I have burnt out several Cobalt Lowes specials and a couple HF compressors, and a "Slime" one from a local auto parts store over the past couple years just refilling trailer tires etc. It is the kiss of death to try and inflate me Rams tires up to the 80+ psi in the rear even if just topping off.

The tires on my tundra are typically at about 37psi........I assume the MV50 could handle repeated refills from say 20-25psi to 37psi? What about occasionally topping off 5psi in 60-85psi tires as on my 2500?

Thanks

No problem.

I air down from 75 PSI to 40 PSI often, loaded with the camper (10k curb weight).

Airing back up has never been an issue.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The MV50 appeals to my Scots roots. I'm wondering if anyone has ever mounted one to the undercarriage of a vehicle, could it take that abuse? I could fashion a shroud around most of it or plumb the air output to QD connections at front and rear bumper. Turn it into an 'on board air' solution?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Id thought about that, but I really wanted to keep it portable.

Proved beneficial just yesterday. Wife got off work yesterday and found here front right tire flat. Nail.

I didnt want to bother with the truck/camper, so I grabbed the compressor and tire plug kit from the truck, tossed it into the Subaru, and went to rescue.

Done deal.

Ill post up some photos of how Ive got mine set up.

I rewired it with a 10Gauge extension cord, and using anderson connectors and more cord made an extension cord for it.

It seems to run MUCH better with the large wire.

River19

Observer
Thanks for the replies on the MV....I'll probably look into one between the occasional trips off road where I would want to air down vs. typical logging roads and filling up trailer tires etc. plus it is handy when you blow a tire and need to top off your spare in the middle of no where.....

MOguy

Explorer
I have had a couple HF ones bought one and the second was a warranty replacement. Neither lasted more than a couple months. I have had 2 MV50s in the last 6 years or so. I the first one stopped working recently after I moved and rewired it. Not sure if that was just coincidence of if I did something to it. If you go 12 volt and want to spend less money get the MV50, if you want a better one Viar is a good option.

River19

Observer
.....a tool bought cheaply once is a tool bought twice.....

That being said I'll probably try the MV....

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
The MV50 appeals to my Scots roots. I'm wondering if anyone has ever mounted one to the undercarriage of a vehicle, could it take that abuse? I could fashion a shroud around most of it or plumb the air output to QD connections at front and rear bumper. Turn it into an 'on board air' solution?

I have one hard mounted in my Scout for my ARB locker and OBA I added a 105 PSI pressure switch and larger gauge wire. Although it's in the cab next to the seat, it lived in Hawaii for 4 years an open top/bikini top exposed to rain, etc occasionally. Not sure I would mount it under the truck, although if you did, remote mount the intake filter to somewhere it could draw dry clean air. The motor housing is not water tight, mine got drown a few times and seems no worse for wear, but I don't think it would last long exposed to the dirt/mud/rocks/water. I did consider mounting mine inside an ammo can with some vents,but figured it might get too hot?

Proved beneficial just yesterday. Wife got off work yesterday and found here front right tire flat. Nail.

I didnt want to bother with the truck/camper, so I grabbed the compressor and tire plug kit from the truck, tossed it into the Subaru, and went to rescue.

Done deal.

I rewired it with a 10Gauge extension cord, and using anderson connectors and more cord made an extension cord for it.

True, I have two MV50s, I keep the portable one in the wife's TJ. The wires are undersized for what the compressor can do. I found there is a 70A relay under the rear cap when I hard wired mine, I should upgrade the wires on my portable one, too. Car Audio Amp wiring kits have nice large wires and larger fuses. I upped my hard wired one to a 45 amp fuse with 6 (?) ga wire from the amp kit. Muy Bueno.

meental

Observer
Another note for when filling tires is to turn the compressor on before connecting to the tires, this will help with not blowing the fuse when topping off high pressure tires.

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Another note for when filling tires is to turn the compressor on before connecting to the tires, this will help with not blowing the fuse when topping off high pressure tires.

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk
I have blown fuses on my MV50 if idling too high or starting my Jeep while the compressor is running.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Upgrade the wiring.

The things run fantastic with better wiring.
They sound better and run cooler.

I don't even bother with a fuse, running 10G wire.

And I connect to 60+PSI all the time before turning the compressor on.

MOguy

Explorer
Upgrade the wiring.

The things run fantastic with better wiring.
They sound better and run cooler.

I don't even bother with a fuse, running 10G wire.

And I connect to 60+PSI all the time before turning the compressor on.
seriously, no fuse?

Hi all,

For airing-up big tires I use a 20 lb. CO2 tank (it is fast.)

For smaller tires (31 inch or less) a small 12V power compressor works fine and is not too slow (2 - 3 minutes per tire.)

If you are on a budget look around for a late 1990s ARB air compressor left over from an Air Locker install. I had one on the shelf that I easily converted into a portable 12V air compressor, powered directly from the vehicle's battery. I "hard wired" it to get power directly from the battery via "Alligator Clips" and mounted it on a piece a lumber.

Most recently used this re-purposed ARB pump on my Tacoma pu while leaving Canyonlands NP after traversing Beef Basin.

Regards,

Alan

7echo

Adventurer

Done deal.

If you have the images of how you wired the MV50 with the heavier gauge wire and Anderson plugs it would be great to have a look.

carbon60

Explorer
I have blown fuses on my MV50 if idling too high or starting my Jeep while the compressor is running.

Starting the compressor before connecting to the tire prevents the fuse blowing, as mentioned above.

Also, the lower the voltage , the higher the current draw, so I keep the engine at high idle while filling and the wires stay much cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz