Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2K DII SD Expedition Build

Default 2K DII SD Expedition Build

First off let me preface by saying this forum rocks! this is only my 4th post but i've been lurking for a while and there is some real quality info on here. glad to be apart of it. moving on...

after 10yrs in the Jeep world with fully built XJs and TJs, i became bored and wanted to get back to my roots of off roading when small lifts, good tires, and good driving skills could take you many places. i finally wised up and picked up a 2K DII SE7 about 3 months ago.

long story short, my wife loves the SE7 with all the bells and whistles and after a few good trips i realized i'd rather have the simplicity of a SD DII for a dedicated expedition type rig. we sold the other jeep a few weeks back i picked up a 2K DII SD Epson Green from a seller on dweb(that other board). i feel like i got a good deal on it with some quality parts and impeckable service records.

My goal is vehicle that can travel 75mph very comfortably down the hwy, yet go exploring on the weekends running moderate~hard trails, and still look suitable enough to drive to work in my suit and tie. 33" Tires Max size with 3~4" lift.

This post is 2 fold; advise from you guys(and gals) and a resource for others

Current Specs(as i bought it last weekend):

2000 DII SD Package - No: roofs,SLS,leather or heated seats.
    LR Waterproof Seat Covers
    GBR Ft. DS
    OME HD Lift 779/762
    OME 107/108 Dampners
    OME Steering Dampner
    ARB Ft. Bumper
    MM - 8K winch
    2 Hella 1000FF
    265/75/16 MTs
    Front Diff Guard
    Extended Rear Breather

Parts on order for it:
    RTE 3" Lift w/7100s(sell the OME stuff)
    Nate's Rock Sliders
    Greg Davis rear Bumper
    5 - 285/75/16 BFG ATs(265s are going on wife's SE7)

Future Plans for expedition set-up:
    Keep ARB ft. Bumper(i know, i know, it's not the best - that would be RTE front, but for another $950+ i'll keep the ARB for now)
    D1 CDL Shifter
    Optima
    CB
    More Recovery Gear
    ARB Snorkel
    Kenwood/Garmin In-Dash GPS/DVD Flip-Out
    Hard wire Compressor(already have MasterFlow Compressor)
    GBR 4.11s
    ARBs or TT/DL
    GBR HD Rear Half Shafts
    10K winch with Syn. Rope
    NWP Low-Profile Rack
    Rear Ladder
    Limb Risers?

Tell me what you think so far? Thanks for reading...
    Last edited by Go4Lo; 05-02-2008 at 03:39 AM.

Welcome and you will find it alot different then those "Other Places". Nice buy, should be some fun times ahead!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly

used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

Welcome to ExPo. I look forward to watching your build.

Alaska Mike is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
    Do you primarily run Tellico and places like it? If so, I would definitely go with ARBs and some good body armor. Last time I was down there we were preceded by several days of rain. That was the greasiest mud I've ever seen. Like driving on a thin layer of Crisco. You'd pick a line, try to figure where you'd slide to, and deal with where you ended up. Wasn't deep, just greasy. I could barely walk on the stuff.

Geez, has it been a decade since I was last there?

Limb risers are nice in the woods, if they are properly done. Do you do enough water to do a snorkel? Are you going to run an air tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    Do you primarily run Tellico and places like it? If so, I would definitely go with ARBs and some good body armor. Last time I was down there we were preceded by several days of rain. That was the greasiest mud I've ever seen. Like driving on a thin layer of Crisco. You'd pick a line, try to figure where you'd slide to, and deal with where you ended up. Wasn't deep, just greasy. I could barely walk on the stuff.

Geez, has it been a decade since I was last there?

Limb risers are nice in the woods, if they are properly done. Do you do enough water to do a snorkel? Are you going to run an air tank?
    we run all over NC,SC,TN and VA. most of the trails are the same type of tight, rocky logging/fire roads that provide great traction when dry, BUT put some water on them and instant slickness! it's just like you described, about 1~2" of thick gunk on top when the rain comes. makes for a interesting day. we run Uwharrie Nat'l Forest a lot as it's only about 50mins from charlotte.

as for the snorkel, i probably don't do enough water to require it but it would be nice to have for security, it's not at the top of the list. although i have hydrolocked an XJ in a creek before.

not sure about an air tank yet, i don't really want to carry air tools on the trail(added weight) and the compressor is strong enough on its own to fill my tires fairly quick.
    '00 XJ Cherokee Limited

Let's see some pics of this thing already!

Quote Originally Posted by FourByLand
    Let's see some pics of this thing already!

here ya go, these are from the sale add on "that other board" I haven't had a chance to take any myself yet:

'00 XJ Cherokee Limited

Nice...See you got Sears' old truck.

Good list going as well as things on order. With the 3" RTE lift you will need to extend the brake lines if it hasn't already been done.

I would also look into some HD steering components as well as a rear diff gurard. Currently I am running a SouthDown Axel guard on the front of my rig. I am thinking of getting rid of it and going full on RTE HD steering and front diff guard. I have a rear QT diff guard and love it.

FWIW if I were in the rack market right now I would go Hannibal. Take a look at those if you haven't already.

Congrats on the new addition.
    2003 Land Rover Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by gahill2
    Nice...See you got Sears' old truck.

Good list going as well as things on order. With the 3" RTE lift you will need to extend the brake lines if it hasn't already been done.

I would also look into some HD steering components as well as a rear diff gurard. Currently I am running a SouthDown Axel guard on the front of my rig. I am thinking of getting rid of it and going full on RTE HD steering and front diff guard. I have a rear QT diff guard and love it.

FWIW if I were in the rack market right now I would go Hannibal. Take a look at those if you haven't already.

Congrats on the new addition.
    yep, it's Sears old truck, he did a nice job taking care of it. i plan to order the brakelines and abs extensions from RTE today as well as the watts and possilbly an adj. panhard bar.

i would like a rear diff guard that wraps under like the southdown.
    '00 XJ Cherokee Limited

I would have to second the rack idea gahill had. I had a sd style and liked the looks but sold it because I want a Hannibal, they seem to be stronger and offer a much better plat form for a rtt and cargo. The idea of one level floor was also another idea I liked.

Good luck, seems you have a lot of mods and parts coming your way. Should be fun for us to watch this truck being built.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly

used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast