2K DII SD Expedition Build

Go4Lo

Explorer
snapped a few pics with the wife's new camera of the disco today with it all cleaned up - it's killing me to get out and have fun with it!

P1000027.jpg

P1000025.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
mmm lets see your list of mods......and you get this in green

MoabLandrover064.jpg

I approve.....obviously...:jump:

A few diferences...but nothing major..

Q I thought all d2's had the wheel arches and plastic side trims.....but hey I'm not a landrover Boffin, just a user...

Go4Lo

Explorer
UK4X4 said:
mmm lets see your list of mods......and you get this in green

MoabLandrover064.jpg

I approve.....obviously...:jump:

A few diferences...but nothing major..

Q I thought all d2's had the wheel arches and plastic side trims.....but hey I'm not a landrover Boffin, just a user...

nice truck! what are your specs?

i don't think the SD package came with the flairs or the side skirts or maybe the previous owner took them off?

gahill2

Observer
Go4Lo said:
nice truck! what are your specs?

i don't think the SD package came with the flairs or the side skirts or maybe the previous owner took them off?

All DII's came with fender flares. Many people have chosen to take them off.

Go4Lo

Explorer
update:

according to UPS/Fedex lift should be here wed./thurs. of this week. had to order the abs extensions from EE so it might take a week from CA to NC to get those.

also ordered a Summit "T-max" 10K winch this morning and a 95' Synthetic Winch Rope from Winchline.com with a billet fairlead to pull the Pig out of the nasty stuff. trying to keep the keep the winch and front bumper as light as possible.

I'm stoked! Can't wait to get it all here and get dirty! i plan to take many pics....

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Go4Lo said:
your truck looks nice, did you paint the wheels with the duplicolor wheel paint?

Yup, that's the stuff. Sanded, sandblasted the tight spots, solvent wiped, 3 coats colour, 3 coats clear. It's a solid afternoon's work, but it makes the truck look so much better with an otherwise lame looking set of wheels. And you can't beat the price.

RoverMack

Adventurer
R_Lefebvre said:
Yup, that's the stuff. Sanded, sandblasted the tight spots, solvent wiped, 3 coats colour, 3 coats clear. It's a solid afternoon's work, but it makes the truck look so much better with an otherwise lame looking set of wheels. And you can't beat the price.

With the added benefit compared with powder coating that they can be touched up after you get the inevitable rock scrapes and nicks. Considered steel wheels but has anyone actually ever broken a LR alloy wheel? -or damaged it enough that it will not hold air. just wondering.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Finally, some updated pics of the build! Between being crazy busy at work and working on the disco at night, there hasn't been any time to update the post. CKale1 and I have been working all week in preparation to a upcoming trip over Memorial weekend.

current status:

RTE 3" Lift installed including all brakelines and abs extensions
7100s installed
285/75/16 BFGs installed from wife's DII
Cobra Handheld CB installed
T-maxx 10K winch w/Syn. Rope installed in ARB
Solenoid relocated under the hood
ARB Crush cans strengthend

Still a lot more to go but it takes a lot of time work primarily by yourself in the garage.

Enjoy the pics and details:

One of the first things i did was strengthen the arb mounting system by drilling out the out plates on the frame horns to fit 1/2" bolts instead of the 3/8" bolts that ARB supplies. This is an easy mod because the frame horns have sleeves that the bolts slide through to keep from crushing the end of the frame when tightening. these sleeves are approx. 9/16", however the outer welded on plates will only fit up to a 3/8" bolt. in order to fit the larger bolts just drill out the outside plates to 9/16". i went with 9/16" so that there is enough play for fine adj. of the bumper. also had my brother weld a stitch down the inside back of the crush cans to prevent twisting.
build002.jpg

ARB supplied bolt next to 1/2" bolt(note the ARB bolt is larger than the very small OEM bolt that was in the OEM bumper)
build001.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
installing RTE lift:

build005.jpg

build006.jpg

the most difficult part of the lift install was mounting the reservoirs, it's so tight under the DII hood. i finally had to go to Lowes and pick up some larger clamps and just mounted them too the shock towers.
build012.jpg

build009.jpg

build014.jpg

build011.jpg

you can see the bottom clamp in this pic.
build013.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
next was the tires. i did a quick comparison of the 285s vs the 265s

the two tires pictured are both mounted, both with approx 30psi:

285/75/16 BFG AT with about 10K mileage
265/75/16 Dueller MT with about 10K mileage

build018.jpg

i was really surprised the difference
build019.jpg

sorry no driveway shots yet.

Go4Lo

Explorer
and the last project for this week, completed tonight. installed winch, rope and relocated the solenoid under the hood into the jack spot under the battery cover. I plan to get the wireless set-up from T-max so i don't have to open the hood to winch. my solenoid is wired for it already.

build007.jpg

build008.jpg

build020.jpg

build023.jpg

build021.jpg

i cut a small hole in the tray to feed the leads through:
build022.jpg

i'm really happy with how well the solenoid fit, it was perfect fit. i was even able to use the hold down strap from the jack to keep the solenoid box in place. the pics make it look like a mess of wires, there are a lot of big wires but they are packed in nicely. it's very clean once the replace the cover.

next on the list before the upcoming trip is paint and install Greg Davis rear bumper and rock rails(if the come in time, fingers crossed)

Last edited:

ckale1

Observer
I don't see how you work in that garage, it's so messy! JK, the "pig" looks good man. Now paint that bumper and get your rig out of the way, we have a locker to install. See ya Sunday. Oh, BTW did you do the weight savings comp for the whinch?

Go4Lo

Explorer
still wrenching on the DII.

Greg Davis Rear Bumper Installed
Turn Signals rewired to back up lights with amber bulbs
Wireless T-Max control installed for winch
Ipod Touch connected to OEM head unit with Blitzsafe Cable

Packed and ready to go out this weekend!

here are few pics of the Greg Davis Install:

build025.jpg

Trimmed Quarters
build030.jpg

build028.jpg

no more secondary muffler
build026.jpg

finished
build034.jpg

build032.jpg

build038.jpg

a couple more driveway shots