First trailer - make over of existing - Thoughts?

MAG00

I am looking at taking my existing 5x14 utility trailer and chopping it up and re-working it into an expedition trailer. I took a couple of pictures of my existing trailer and then I did some sketches with notes as to what I have in mind. My measurements are a little rough, but most were taken with some of the existing trailer measurements in mind. Some thoughts/ideas I had that may not be on my sketches are:
- The distance from the box forward is what I got from measuring the existing trailer from where the point back to where the tongue "bends back straight".
- The fender dimensions shown on the side profile sketch is something I got from a detail of a fender on line.
- The existing trailer is approx. 60" clear on the inside with the frame outside of that. The existing fenders run under the top rail and go right against the "expansion metal" sides and measures 10 1/2" wide. This is where I got the overall width dimension on my sketch from.
- I'm not real sure where or how to mount the spare tire. I mentioned three different methods on my notes.
- Another thought I had was maybe making the top/lid where you could take it off. Maybe something similar to how the hinges work on the drop gates on these utility trailers. That way you would have the option to haul something taller if need be. Thoughts on this idea?

Any ideas, critiques, thoughts, etc. are welcome.
4625d451b49a0f0f77e609513439c35b.jpg
43304d992934ba8fac2c7ca2e9fe4478.jpg
31e7aedb2a768f1440acca16e9cf8620.jpg
278398bf7a0549da512f1c7fd882346a.jpg
ed70120e68603612633fe97a02299fe3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b63215b

Adventurer
Nice start, do you plan on taking it off road or even on two tracks? If so I would chop some of the rear off maybe 2/3' and try to get some ground clearance with taller shackles or something of the like.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MAG00

The existing trailer is 5' wide and 14' long inside rails. My plan is to chop it down to where the overall length from tongue to rear is about 11 feet. We'll move the axle forward and swap the springs to the top of the axle for better clearance. Maybe some shackles not sure yet. I'm trying to decide now if I want the boxed in portion to be 5' or 6' long. The front of the box will be at the bend point of where the main frame rails starts to create the tongue of the trailer. In doing so that leaves about a 5'-10" long tongue "V" shaped area to sheet/deck for setting a cooler or storage bin and them mount a trailer tongue tool box. I may mount a tube through the middle and chop the side pieces of the tongue back some to make a straight shaft of sorts at the hitch to help with turning radius.

Since my existing trailer is a little wider than most off-road/expedition trailers I may make the box a little more narrow than the existing trailer width to allow for wider (deeper) side decks/steps for mounting stuff.

MAG00

I would like to re-use my factory jeep wrangler wheels/tires if they will fit the existing trailer axle. I think the lug pattern is ok, but the hub may be too large for the opening on the jeep wheels. The tires on them are 255/75R17 I believe which should be about 32" by about 10" roughly I think.

MAG00

What do you guys think about the size of the box considering the platform area at the tongue of the trailer? I am starting to think I need to just make it 5' long and then cut the existing tongue frame back some to allow for a little bit of straight shaft to the hitch. Thoughts on this and my last post about slightly narrowing up the box to allow for deeper side platforms at the front and back of the fenders?

MAG00

Not a 3d program but I did sketch it up to scale with some rough dimensions based upon those taken from the existing trailer. There is just several items/layouts/dimensions that I am unsure of (mentioned in previous posts) that I am fishing for critiques, ideas, etc.

screwball48

Explorer
I did see the detailed plans you posted. It has helped me when doing things to see them in 3d and check for clearances and overall dimensions. Here is a sketch I did roughly based off your plans. If it would help I could change anything in it for you so you could see things better.
d2cf78b72f6e9ecf48bc696970dae0e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAG00

Thanks. That's pretty much how I envisioned it. I'm just trying to figure out a few dimensions and layout. For example, would the 5' or 6' box with the axle centered under it be better for balance, how to fit a spare tire as far as placement and still have all the storage I want. I'm trying to keep the front tongue area open for decked area to put an ice chest and maybe a tool box.

I thought I may put a swing out tire carrier at the back leaving me the space up front and maybe offsetting the longer section in front of the axle as far as balance. But I'm not sure about having to swing it out and drop the tail gate every time I want to access the box from the rear.

I think if I want to mount any boxes or jerry cans or something else, I need to make the box more narrow than what the current trailer box is now. Make the box 4'-6" wide instead of 5'-0" so the fenders and side platforms are deeper.

I think right now one of the biggest questions is whether to make a swing out spare tire carrier or not and if I would even like it that way. Another thought was to mount a receiver at the front passenger side corner of the box so the tire and mount there.

b63215b

Adventurer
My box is between 6-7' long and narrower then yours. I brought my up to the bend as well and all the way to the back. Good idea to make it as wide or narrower than your tow vehicle. Just my two sense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MAG00

Thanks screwball48. That looks dang close. I made some slight revisions. I'll try to attach pic of my latest sketch.

A few other questions:
1. What is everyone's preferred method/product for carrying fuel and water. I see a lot of jerry cans and variations of them and holders. Can anyone give me a specific product reference or link for containers and holders?
2. How much space is need for containers? For example, if I were to mount them at the front or rear of the fenders how much space is needed (length x width)?
3. What are opinions on the spare tire carrier? Try to mount on side in front of fender or front tongue or go with a rear tire carrier that swings out for the tailgate?
f471250795a5d8e95022c2d2e1032b15.jpg

MAG00

How wide do you usually allow for the "platforms" extending down both sides? I know most will probably vary, but could you tell me a usual width to allow for mounting jerry cans, etc.? Would 10" be wide enough?

MAG00

Just wanted to follow up on my last two posts above. Any thoughts?
1. Would you go 5' ft, 5'-6" or 6 ft for the box? FYI with a 5ft box the overall length would be right at about 11ft long.
2. Thoughts on side plat forms in front of and behind fenders i.e. size?
3. Thoughts on tire carrier. Would you have a swing out rear carrier or try to avoid it by having it mounted at the front corner of the box (tire running parallel with trailer in front of the fender?
4. Thoughts on making box 4'-6" wide in lieu of what the existing cargo area of the utility trailer is now which is 5ft wide. If I went this route I think it would allow for the spare tire to mount on the front corner of the box better.
5. I'm trying to figure out the best layout for everything. The trailer will be used for general use of traveling and hauling gear, camping, maybe a little off-road (not much) and around my deer hunting lease. So, I'm trying to layout out the fuel and water can (1 of each), place to set large ice chest (not inside tub/box, spare tire, and maybe a tool box (either rectangular of sorts or a trailer tongue style box. Also will probably mount 4 each drop foot style trailer jacks for stabilizing the trailer. Suggestions are welcome and wanted.

Help is appreciated. THANKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier