"Emily" - 2005 F150 Build

DocWhiskey

Observer
My apologies for the lack of updates my leave time was spent taking care of things on the rig and visiting, the road trip back to California, transitioning back to stateside life, and preparing to move to NYC in February (that process is obviously still ongoing.). I installed the ICON kit with no drama whatsoever, straightforward and easy f you have ever had these trucks apart at all. I love the new performance from the suspension, it soaks everything right up but doesn't cause the truck to float all over the road. New wheels and tires are also on, though I did have a sight problem during the road trip when one of the bolts holding the beadlock on sheared and the added stress caused another five bolts to fail as well. Not a huge deal close to home base but in BFE Minnesota enroute to California it put a kink in the plans. Luckily we were able to bum some shop time from a friend of a friend in North Dakota and pull the sheared portions out, put all new bolts in the beadlock with the proper torque spec and Lok-Tite. and I've had no issues since then.

The road trip went pretty great, the highlight was definitely Montana and the dirt road we took through the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument to the ferry, a super old school and rad experience. Pictures are worth a thousand words so of course those are to follow.

However, I did run into a major snag when I got back to California. During a maintenance check I discovered the front ring and pinion had a fight, and they both lost. Most likely the pinion bearing failed and allowed the pinion a lot of play, which caused it to chew the teeth off the ring and evoke some gut-wrenching noises when four-wheel-drive was attempted. I yanked the front axle from the truck and it is currently at Coast Differential of Ventura being rebuilt. I was supposed to have it back yesterday, but of course there was a delay so I will not be able to get the truck back together until sometime this coming week. I will also be installing new hub assemblies, half-shafts, and rotors/pads when I get the axle back.

DocWhiskey

Observer
GOPR1555.jpg
Icon install

GOPR1589.jpg

GOPR1590.jpg
Pulling the sheared bolts out of the wheel. The next morning I borrowed a torque wrench from the Minot, ND Oreilly's and torqued everything down to the manufacturer's recommendation. No problems since then and I will not go back to the tire shop that mounted the new BFG's.

IMG_8247.jpg
New ICON kit installed roling on 34/10.5/R17 BFG All Terrain KO2 at the beginning of the trip

IMG_8301.jpg
The WWII namesake of my father's submarine, permanently docked in Michigan.

IMG_8464.jpg
South Dakota, in God's country

IMG_8437.jpg
Little house on the prarie

IMG_8526.jpg
A curiously constructed cabin in South Dakota

IMG_8551.jpg
A truly fantastic road leading to the ferry in Montana

I shall upload more photos tomorrow when I am less intoxicated. Enjoy your Saturday night y'all!!

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 23

DocWhiskey

Observer
It has been a while since I updated this thread but it appears I will no longer need to.

f150a7bd257f7a80a37b649837cb3706.jpg
e635f9806cc991d16e969f88c390915c.jpg
5e7649a3a55e9f7739b3cabdf094c5a5.jpg
a02286f58a984af24bde3f386e37937e.jpg
ea7077972b3efd08184f81b648f055f1.jpg
562ce61351238fea19a57058e9598b8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocWhiskey

Observer
Fortunately I was the only one in the truck at the time. I'm fine just some scrapes and bruises, tweaked neck and should. I'm just thankful I'm walking really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke