Metal Rear Window?

lysol

Explorer
Has anyone replaced the rear flip up/down window with a metal one? The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on replacing my hard top with a Ursa Minor J30 toip and not getting side windows in it. Then, I could replace the rear glass flip window with a sheet of metal and create a cage behind the rear seats thus sectioning off the rear of the jeep into a secure trunk.

lysol

Explorer
Kind of like this, but with a simple piece of aluminum sheet metal or something that weighs similar to the factory rear glass.

728969d1380831592-rotopax-rear-hatch-delete-production-rebel-offroad-roe-jk-halo-2t.jpg

lysol

Explorer
Something like this rear hatch flip window might be nice as it is secure and offers some visibility:

9doBHwVd958n7onmhn85xR77ZuGFrAWtrI0PONioCko=w1024-h576-no

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I didn't understand what you were after when you asked about metal windows in my thread the other day, but now with the additional explanation I get it.

Maybe something like the JK Safari Cab rear barn door frame could work. It's intended to be attached to the tailgate and the tailgate/barn door upper opens and closes as one piece, but it could also be attached to the factory hinges and swing up. When the parts come out of the mold, the window opening isn't cut out, so if a solid panel was the goal that would be fine.

Here's a photo of one of the barn door frames that's not completed yet, the window opening has been cut out but no glass installed.

BarnDoorBonded1_zps86624903.jpg

I hesitated to even post this idea because the JK Safari Cab and/or the barn door isn't in production, but if it ever gets to production, maybe it would be a solution for you.

You said you planned to use it on an URSA Minor, here's a concept drawing I did some time ago showing the barn door installed on an USRA Minor (with the window installed, but it doesn't have to be). And this concept shows it configured as a barn door, but as I said it could be configured to swing up as a hatch.

UrsaMinorAwning3_zpsjzxqc07m.jpg

Just some food for thought.

lysol

Explorer
I didn't understand what you were after when you asked about metal windows in my thread the other day, but now with the additional explanation I get it.

Maybe something like the JK Safari Cab rear barn door frame could work. It's intended to be attached to the tailgate and the tailgate/barn door upper opens and closes as one piece, but it could also be attached to the factory hinges and swing up. When the parts come out of the mold, the window opening isn't cut out, so if a solid panel was the goal that would be fine.

Here's a photo of one of the barn door frames that's not completed yet, the window opening has been cut out but no glass installed.

BarnDoorBonded1_zps86624903.jpg

I hesitated to even post this idea because the JK Safari Cab and/or the barn door isn't in production, but if it ever gets to production, maybe it would be a solution for you.

You said you planned to use it on an URSA Minor, here's a concept drawing I did some time ago showing the barn door installed on an USRA Minor (with the window installed, but it doesn't have to be). And this concept shows it configured as a barn door, but as I said it could be configured to swing up as a hatch.

UrsaMinorAwning3_zpsjzxqc07m.jpg

Just some food for thought.

Thanks. Yea, that could definitely be a solution.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Kind of like this, but with a simple piece of aluminum sheet metal or something that weighs similar to the factory rear glass.

728969d1380831592-rotopax-rear-hatch-delete-production-rebel-offroad-roe-jk-halo-2t.jpg

Rebel Offroad made one for their Jeep but doesnt sell it to the public. But I am working on making one for my Jeep. I am going to test out some after market struts to hold the additional weight because I would like to have the rotopax storage containers mounted on there along with a possible rear camera if i dont mount it on the spare tire carrier or in the rear bumper. I just want to verify that its legal to swap out my rear view mirror with a Live feed monitor that would act like a rear view camera.

I am planning on getting the RubiCam camera system. You can get it in Non-DVR or DVR models. So far they look pretty sweet but not many people has any experience with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior