Isuzu diesel swap....

javajoe79

Fabricator
Looking into the 4HE1 or 4BD2 to swap into my truck. Thinking of an adapter to use GM trans and transfer case or just using a divorced T case with the trans that comes with the Isuzu or finding a 4wd trans for the Isuzu. Anyone have any input on this?

doug720

Expedition Leader
A lot will depend on the vehicle you plan to swap the engine into. I have a 4BD2 in a 60 Series LandCruiser and it is outstanding. But, there are many issues to contemplate.

The 4HE1 has the starter facing to the rear on the North American passenger side foot well, they are electronic control engines, have a different bolt pattern on the sub bell housing than the 4BD1/2.

The 4BD1/2 are mechanical diesels that only need the starter and alternator connected to run. Starter faces forward and adapters are available to make the rear of the engine into a Chevy V8 bell housing bolt pattern.

Common issues - These are tall engines, and heavy engines compared to a many gas 4 and 8 cylinder engines.

Good things - I have averaged a little over 20 mpg during about 35k miles of all types of driving. Parts are available at any GM or Isuzu dealer in North America. These engines were designed to push around box trucks that have a GVW of 17,000 pounds, so most things we swap them into weigh considerably less, so last a long time.

Read my build on the link below. Check IH8MUD and 4BTSwaps.com in the Isuzu section for great info on these engines and how they are maintained and swapped.

Attachments

• 001-resized.jpg
    001-resized.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 003-resized.jpg
    003-resized.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 004-resized.jpg
    004-resized.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
Ok good info.. Thanks. I was leaing towards the 4BD2. I may have the option to get one cheap here but it was in a flood so I would have to rebuild it. Any input on whether that's a good idea or not? It was fairly low mileage before it went under.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Oh and can you point me in the direction of a spec list for these engines? Weight, dimensions, TQ and HP?

doug720

Expedition Leader
I'm building another 4BD2 right now. They have dry liners, titanium nitrated cranks, etc, great engines.

For info, check out 4BTswaps.com I posted above and in the Isuzu section and look in the "Sticky's".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles