An unexpected journey Idaho and back.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
So a few weeks ago in the midst of moving, starting a new job and trying to build a new shop space my 02 suburban decided to up and die. After 240k miles of great reliable service I can't complain.

The past 2 weeks I drove rentals. The first one was wiped out by a kids drivi,g behind me not paying attention. Car smash, back hurt drama drama lol. After about 10 days of searching a sweet 1997 fzj80 came available on ebay and a day later I was wiring money getting the title etc. So this morning I am on my way to tampa international so Delta can fly me to Idaho Falls.

As if my fortune of finding a clean low mileage 1 owner L.C. wasn't good enough, my dad called once he heard and wanted to come. Nothing like a good father son road trip! He will fly Saturday and I am picking him up in Rapid City S.D. Our journey will take us through the black hills, Minneapolis to conect with a good friend, and from there home. Should be home wednesday. I'm sure we will stumble across a lot of great things on the trip but 0 planning time we will figure it out on the road. No maps, huge sense of adventure and a 80 series the possibilities are endless.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well trip is going ok and more important the cruiser is nicer then the picks!

After leaving I hit the emporium in down town victor for a huckleberry shake. The are famous apparently.....very delish.

I left at 6 for jackson and once at the top of the pass I stopped for a vanity shot and the truck was puking coolant!

Normally this would be no big deal but Delta left my pelican case with all my tools camp gear and clothes in Atl so I had nothing! After a bit I drove down to jackson and everything but the grocery was closed. I got a bunch of water and met a dude with an m37 ambulance. We went to his garage and deduced that it had been over filled.
After dinner in Jackson, I decided to drive north through yellostone and tetons even though it was getting dark. The drive was nice with no traffic and the full moon lit up the canyons rivers and lakes for a nice view. But I had no idea how slow this was lol.

After driving all night to get back on schedule I turned down a 2 track in Bighorn Forest at 430 am and slept for 1.5 hours. Then I woke up to this.

I'm sitting in sheridan now having breakfast and then on to Rapid City SD to get my Dad and my stuff from Delta! We will be staying in my friends yurt tonight near Custer after visiting Mt Rushmore.

Sorry for marginal pics and spelling i am working with just my cellphone right now.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well its been a few days of long hours in the saddle and awesome little road trip nuggets. We are in Atlanta and will be home tomorrow finally. I have been in 10 states so far, 22 parks and covered 2300 miles. One more state and about 450 miles left.

We had a blast on the 4th in the Blackhills. On the 5th we went through the badlands and drove south on paved and unpaved roads though Nebraska and Kansas. On the 6th we crossed Missouri and into Peduka Kentucky. Today we explored Land Between the lakes and ended up on a really muddy trail that took us hours to finish because we had alot of scouting and planning to do to get past all the obstacles. And just had a great dinner at PC Changs in Atl.

The following pics are posted in order but I'm to exhausted to do descriptions now. I'll do them later once home and settled.

tsthompson1

Re: unexpected journey

I'm glad you had fun and enjoyed Idaho. I was raised outside of Idaho Falls. There is a little tire store outside of Jackson named All American Tire and Von would have taken excellent care of you. Something to think about if you ever head back towards God's country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles