Looking for vehicle solar panel roof-mount ideas

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm working up a design for a multi-flavor power module as part of my storage drawer / platform in my Suburban. As an adjunct to that I'd like to add some roof mounted panels. I'm thinking some sort of bracket / slide mount which retains the panel flat on the roof when moving, but allows the panel to slide / deploy out to either side for use. And be angled appropriately for use in the southwest US.

I'd want the panel connected and providing power in its secured position, normally. And the extended position when camping, if I've got a roof bag or other gear in the roof rack. And angled appropriately if the roof is clear. And ultimately deployable on the ground with a wiring extension, as required by the location etc.

So I'm looking for bracket design ideas, hardware fittings, latches, catches, scissor brackets and hinge suggestions.

Idea sketches to follow shortly.

eta

most of these ideas involve some form of aluminum perimeter frame / cradle, with the panel hinged to it or attached in some other manner. Most would be manually operated for simplicity.

vehicle%20solar%20mount%20001_zpsg8rshurk.jpg
vehicle%20solar%20mount%20003_zpsda85wc7v.jpg
vehicle%20solar%20mount%20002_zps9wm72npr.jpg
vehicle%20solar%20mount%20004_zps5dmvraea.jpg

The pneumatic idea has great appeal, just pop a latch and the panel extends to the set / limited angle. Fold it shut and re-latch. But that wouldn't work with a panel mounted under a roof rack basket. But it would if the contraption slid out to the side of the vehicle first.

Last edited:
B

BPD53

I did a tilt mount on my truck. I took a few pictures in case any part of my project can be adapted for your ideas. Good luck. I too thought of a sliding solar mount, but it just wasn't necessary. I used aluminum parts from lowes/Home Depot/tractor supply. I used conduit hangers to attach to the Yakima crossbars. The quick release pins (Bimini pins) came from Amazon. The adjustable locking rod is a hatch prop I purchased from eBay. I used galvanized hinges in the front. A lot of rivets were used. I really like rivets!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 74
B

BPD53

More pictures!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 54
B

BPD53

Imitation is the best form of flattery I hear. I am so going to copy that. Good job, that looks great!

Copy away. I wanted a way to mount/tilt a solar panel and still haul my canoe on my yakima racks. The conduit hangers step the aluminum frame below the crossbars and keep it off the roof. I am going to add a second hatch adjuster on the passenger side in case I am away from my truck and the wind picks up. Good luck with your project.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The rubber boots in that youtube video would be a major concern for me. Degradation due to UV exposure plus all the flexing they have to do (in 3 directions) plus that under-mounted brace hitting the roof while in motion and the extra holes for the bracket...that looks like a nice idea that needs refinement. Not yet an OTC solution IMHO.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Over on the various "Full Timer" RV forums, it was discussed that tilting panels in many cases adds complexity that really doesn't offer much advantage. They will only be perpendicular to the sun for a few minutes and then the sun moves.

Certainly there is some benefit in far north regions or during the winter when the angle of the sun is low.

A RV usually has much more roof area that the vehicles we show here, and in that case, adding more panels always trumps a sophisticated alignment system.

My system is two 140w panels, flat on top of my Toy Hauler trailer. I've yet to travel south of Massachusetts, always try to park in the sun with no shade, and I've yet to run my generator to recharge two Group 31 AMG batteries. Usually three days and three nights of camping and many times running the furnace all night where the fan uses lots of 12V. If the sun is out the batteries are back to full before 1pm. On a cloudy day it might take until 5pm to get back. I never let the batteries go below 50% capacity.

You can check out my system and install here:

www.rvbprecision.com

I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz