CTEK D250S dual battery set up

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
After months of research and spending too much time thinking about a dual battery set up, I decided on the CTEK D250S as the isolator as it was almost idiot proof to install. It charges the battery with a real charge controller rather than relying on the alternator.

It has a built in charge controller for adding solar. I let my ARB fridge/freezer run for nearly 48 hours in 90 degree heat without killing my battery. I need solar for extended stays.

My friend who did the install cautioned me against connecting directly to the starting battery. While he said that it was the easiest, he reasoned that many vehicles already have fuses and relays built into them to the do the job. Why argue with an expert?

My friend engineer Dan pulled out the Ford shop manual and found a 40 amp fused trailer auxiliary battery relay built into the fuse box. He traced the wire and spliced in some SO cable for a quick connection.

I wanted to install the second battery on the frame rail of my Ford E150. My buddy convinced me that a removable battery box as the way to go as I could remove it and carry it with me. Great insight on his part as I moved the battery box several times. I have enough cord to move it anywhere in my van. It's currently sitting right behind the driver seat.

Here is a photo of my home made battery box:

IMG_20150628_153657.jpg

IMG_20150628_153734.jpg

I used 12/3 SOOW cable for my connections as it's wrapped in rubber and can withstand a beating. It's common AC commercial cable. I have about 20 feet of it and can pull the battery out of the van and use it for power. The quick connector makes it easy to pull the battery out.

I found a US made 6 pack fuse box. I install 6 30 amp fuses for the cigarette style outlets.

I added a dual USB port in one of the six 12 volt sockets-all purchase on eBay.

The QuickBox battery box cost $10.
The fuse and fuse box was another $15.
12 volt sockets including USB cost $20.
I got the SO cable and connections for free.
The CTEK D250S sells for $200 on Amazon.

After much research, I spent an extra $100 and bought the US made LifeLine 80 AH deep cycle marine battery. I found several similar Chinese made batteries for less money. I was getting tired of spending way too much time researching and went with the LifeLine as it seemed one of the favorites on the Expedition Portal. The connections are clean. It has a raised hollow top that enabled my friend to drill holes and mount the fuse fox!

It's no $50 dual battery system. However, with the flexibility of the CTEK unit, it's worth the extra money. I spent about $500 on the system including the $260 battery box. I plan on adding a 100W solar panel to run the system off grid when needed.

I have been camping for a week with the system and it's performed flawless.

I bought the CTEK 4.3 battery charger on Amazon for $60 because it's small, has quick connects for the battery, and can charge all my vehicle batteries at home.

The main source of power draw on this battery box is a 62 quart ARB fridge freezer. I set it to 0 degrees F while driving and 22 F at night.

I run 12 volt portable Fantastic Fan at night to keep my van cool.

This set up is my proto-type. I think a Busseman 30 circuit breaker may be cleaner. Daisey chaining the 6 fuses took some work.

I did not install a power invertor inside the box as I do not have much need for it. I strapped an old invertor on top the box for charging flashlight batteries. We have not charged a single battery yet as I have 2 Luci Light inflatable solar lanterns.

NewLuci_Info.png

About the only use for my power invertor is for my burr coffee grinder which I did not take with because it's too big and heavy.

I bought a 12 volt power cord for our MacBooks. I have a 12 volt air mattress pump for pumping up the inflatable rafts that we did not take.

Last edited:
Could I ask if you were checking the house battery voltage after a couple of days of use? An 80 amp hour battery would take a beating from a 60qt fridge and a Fantastic Fan/Endless Breeze fan. I am mostly curious. Thank you.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Those 6 30a fuses are probably not right. I doubt the 12v sockets are rated for that, and the wire to the fuse block looks to be smaller than #10.

If the wire is #12, you should use 20a (or even 15a) fuses instead.

Nice setup.

228B

Observer
lostworldexpedition
Could I ask if you were checking the house battery voltage after a couple of days of use? An 80 amp hour battery would take a beating from a 60qt fridge and a Fantastic Fan/Endless Breeze fan. I am mostly curious. Thank you.
Not only is it a 60qt unit, he's set it to act as a freezer, which means it has a pretty busy duty cycle. Then there's the fan.. I figure the battery is at 50% (if he ever gets it truly "full" in the first place) after less than 48 hours... off the top of my head.
coolfeet
I... bought the US made LifeLine 80 AH deep cycle marine battery. I found several similar Chinese made batteries for less money. I was getting tired of spending way too much time researching and went with the LifeLine as it seemed one of the favorites on the Expedition Portal. The connections are clean. It has a raised hollow top that enabled my friend to drill holes and mount the fuse ox!

And why? would one drill through the battery case? If the battery is an AGM type (which Lifelines are), it is intended to remain sealed. Granted, a punctured AGM is claimed to not leak, but, an AGM is also a "recombinant" battery and once it vents it's internal pressure, it's done. I know it was stated that "it has a raised hollow top" but that is part of the battery case construction. Please, correct me if I misunderstood the original post.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I set the ARB to shut off automatically when the battery reaches 40%. I did not install a volt meter as I did the install in the dark the night before I left for a 23 day camping trip. The only thing that killed the battery was running the fan on high. The ARB never killed the battery because I set it to 22 degrees F during the night. While driving, the thermometer displayed between 6-12 degrees F. The compressor hardly ran during the night as the fridge was already cold.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler

Not only is it a 60qt unit, he's set it to act as a freezer, which means it has a pretty busy duty cycle. Then there's the fan.. I figure the battery is at 50% (if he ever gets it truly "full" in the first place) after less than 48 hours... off the top of my head.

And why? would one drill through the battery case? If the battery is an AGM type (which Lifelines are), it is intended to remain sealed. Granted, a punctured AGM is claimed to not leak, but, an AGM is also a "recombinant" battery and once it vents it's internal pressure, it's done. I know it was stated that "it has a raised hollow top" but that is part of the battery case construction. Please, correct me if I misunderstood the original post.
I did not drill through the battery. There is a hollow area above the battery. Maybe a handle of sort?

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Those 6 30a fuses are probably not right. I doubt the 12v sockets are rated for that, and the wire to the fuse block looks to be smaller than #10.

If the wire is #12, you should use 20a (or even 15a) fuses instead.

Nice setup.
Thanks for the tip. I will install 15 a fuses.

Deadsetmonkey

How well does the CTEK charger do?
At 20amp, if your 80AmpHr battery got to 50%, does it take 2hrs of alternator current - therefore of engine running - to get those 40AmpHrs back, and get your battery full again?

fiddypal

Adventurer
How well does the CTEK charger do?
At 20amp, if your 80AmpHr battery got to 50%, does it take 2hrs of alternator current - therefore of engine running - to get those 40AmpHrs back, and get your battery full again?

Curious as well. .. I just got done putting in a 2nd battery in my silverado (70ah AGM die hard) and am powering a dometic cf-50 with it.

I keep the temp around 33-35*f and really only need to keep the fridge running over night.

Curious how long it takes to refill the battery from the alternator.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Curious as well. .. I just got done putting in a 2nd battery in my silverado (70ah AGM die hard) and am powering a dometic cf-50 with it.

I keep the temp around 33-35*f and really only need to keep the fridge running over night.

Curious how long it takes to refill the battery from the alternator.

Assuming a 70Ah battery, following the 50% rule, that means you need 30-40Ah to recharge.

Depending on the year, your Siverado has between a 100 and 250A alternator.

With a decent relay and wiring, your alternator can easily deliver over 100A per hour. The limitation will be the battery's ability to actually absorb a charge. The alternator will quickly get you to about 80%. Thereafter, the absorb charge is going to take hours; Lifeline, for example, specs two additional hours of absorb charge after the battery reaches 100%.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Assuming a 70Ah battery, following the 50% rule, that means you need 30-40Ah to recharge.

Depending on the year, your Siverado has between a 100 and 250A alternator.

With a decent relay and wiring, your alternator can easily deliver over 100A per hour. The limitation will be the battery's ability to actually absorb a charge. The alternator will quickly get you to about 80%. Thereafter, the absorb charge is going to take hours; Lifeline, for example, specs two additional hours of absorb charge after the battery reaches 100%.

Thanks for the info! The battery i got was an exact match for the type compatible with my truck (14 silverado 1500 v6), i could use it as a starting battery if i need to. I realize this is not the best battery for my application, but it does have a 70ah rating on the battery sticker itself, and die hard markets it as a deep cycle. I am not looking to power a small house off the thing, just power a small fridge overnight while we sleep. If i need to charge up laptops or phones i can just run the truck for a while while i do it, my truck already has a 110v AC plug built in so no dying need for another inverter as of right now.

I have a stinger isolator hooked up so the battery does not draw when the truck is off and kill my starting battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke