Spare tire rim for Bantam TC3

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am in search for a rim for my trailer to use as a spare tire. It appears to have what I think are stock 16", narrow rims. I want t keep the stock axle in place, so need a rim for a spare. Any sources would be great.

John

Robert Bills

Explorer
The simple answer is that any 16 x 4 1/2" wheel for an MB, GPW, CJ2, CJ-3 or early CJ-5 Jeep with the 5" x 5 1/2" lug pattern will fit.

The M416 wheels are hub centric; Jeep wheels are lug centric. Also, the hubs on the M416 trailer are smaller in diameter than than hubs on a Bantam trailer or Jeep axle, thus the M416 wheels may not fit over the hub on your Bantam trailer axle. Finally, the offset of an M416 wheel is different than the offset on a CJ wheel.

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about Bantam trailer wheels:

The wheels on the left are known as "solids" and would be correct for a 100% restoration of an early T3-C.
The wheels on the right are combat rims that would be correct only on the extremely early T3-Cs that were converted military T-3 trailers that used angle iron for the rear tub brace. Combat rims are incorrect for any T3-C with rear tub "skirts."

splitcombat.jpg

The wheel pictured below is from a CJ-2 or CJ-3. Note that the disc is attached to the rim at 4 locations rather than continuously as in a "solid." This is the most common jeep wheel and the easiest to find. The original 16x4 1/2 rims were made by Kelsey-Hayes. Most Bantam trailers were equipped with these wheels.

warn_willys_cj2_wheel.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks Robert, this is awesome information! Based on your description, I believe this trailer already has CJ2 or 3 wheels. I appreciate the lesson on the wheels.

John

Jordan801

Robert, thanks for this help. I have a 46 Bantam TC3 trailer, has original axle, but the previous owner put standard 15 inch trailer wheels on and a p235/75/15 tire. Depending on the load, the tire will sometimes rub on the tub of the trailer. I would like to purchase 3 new wheels and tires, looking at these summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-5612358. What specific size/specs do you recommend. 15x6? Does offset and backspacing matter? I would like to avoid the rub, trying to get more back to original look. Thanks in advance. New to this trailer, and not the most mechanically minded guy. The previous owner had done great work, I just need to add a spare, and get new tires, figured I'd swap out all wheels hoping to fix the potential rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz