Ice Cream Sandwich

Dmarchand

Adventurer
So, two and a half years in the making and I will soon have AC again, a full width intercooler and large rad. All behind the NAS d-90 front clip.

Thanks to Matt B. and Overland Engineering for sticking it out and seeing it through on this long endeavor!

I have dubbed it the ice cream sandwich. That is the the stock tdi ac condensor between the rad and intercooler.

All just in time for the National Rally!

Maine 110

I was by the shop and saw this in person and completed, all without bumping out the grill. Very Stealthy... Cant wait to hear how the new intercooler setup works, it sounds like a long process and I am sure it will be worth it.

Jesse

Dmarchand

Adventurer
So wheeled over the weekend and traveled 2.5 hours to and from VT, one way with the sankey. Truck performed awesome. Temps on steep grades never went above 200 on the water gauge and the EGT's never rose above 850. Time to adjust the pump to get a little more omph that the new setup affords. You would have been impressed JP.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Pendy in Kansas did that in mine. He has a team of magicians he taps into in Wichita. If I can get to 200 that would be a good day. As a matter of fact, i'm lucky to make 180 if it isn't June-Aug.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Pendy in Kansas did that in mine. He has a team of magicians he taps into in Wichita. If I can get to 200 that would be a good day. As a matter of fact, i'm lucky to make 180 if it isn't June-Aug. I spend most of the year with a RN muff on.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Did you adjust the fuel pump after he added the setup? I'm thinking of making some incremental adjustments to it.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Dmarchand said:
Did you adjust the fuel pump after he added the setup? I'm thinking of making some incremental adjustments to it.

I don't have an EGT gauge yet, so I'm holding off until that's in.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Cool, I tweaked it a little. Time to play some more. I couldn't push the EGT's past 900 on long hill climbs at highway speeds in 3rd (auto), with the new setup.

I'll make some incremental changes.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I also don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tweaking a turbo diesel, so that's a barrier as well, and further reason to wait until the EGT. Once I get one, I'll do some reading.

Oilburner

Adventurer
overlander said:
I also don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tweaking a turbo diesel, so that's a barrier as well, and further reason to wait until the EGT. Once I get one, I'll do some reading.

The VE pump that's on the 300 TDI is very similar to the VE used on the 6BT on the Cummins engine used in 1st generation Dodge Ram pickups. There is a ton of info on the web with respect to tweaking the 6BTs, which transfers over to the 300 quite well. A pyro is definitely a good idea before you start turning it up.

A few power tweaks turned my 6BT (living under the hood of my 1980 109) from a very pedestrian engine into a firebreathing monster. Just last night I had a friend drive it that hadn't for a while, and he couldn't believe it was the same rig.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Oilburner said:
The VE pump that's on the 300 TDI is very similar to the VE used on the 6BT on the Cummins engine used in 1st generation Dodge Ram pickups. There is a ton of info on the web with respect to tweaking the 6BTs, which transfers over to the 300 quite well. A pyro is definitely a good idea before you start turning it up.

A few power tweaks turned my 6BT (living under the hood of my 1980 109) from a very pedestrian engine into a firebreathing monster. Just last night I had a friend drive it that hadn't for a while, and he couldn't believe it was the same rig.

Great to know. If I wanted to get more economy out of it, would that also be reverse tweaking? I wouldn't mind trading out a little power to get from a standard 18mpg closer to the 25 realized in the 300tdi spectrum. it would be nice to figure out an economy vs power setting, from the middle setting I have now from the factory.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Aren't you running with a ZF trans? If so, you won't see any additional economy. I have already tried that one.

Here is the Dodge info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles