F150 Full Size Storage

GregSplett

Adventurer
Yes it does, I bought it used so I guess the gasket is worn out.
I'm going to take a look at it and try and replace it. The cap shop up the road said the would do the whole thing for 50 bucks

I have an o8 with matching ARE canopy.Always leaked in the front mostly the corners.

If it is like mine the front of the bed is like an inch lower than the sides and my canopy is flat.I tried to double up gaskets across the front.made it worse.I would love to know what the shop does to fix that.Special gasket?I have not been able to find one.The shop I have local is manned by a couple of kids that I have no confidence in.

RWB_F150

Observer
Nice work
Do plan to have 12v fridge on top of it?

I would love to have one and might put a small one in the compartment of my truck. But this is going to be a sleeping platform for the wife and 2 dogs. I am however will put a second battery along the frame rail or under the hood. If I go under the hood I will wire up the batteries, if it goes under the frame probably a solar option. I have not yet decided the route I want to take.

I have an o8 with matching ARE canopy.Always leaked in the front mostly the corners.

If it is like mine the front of the bed is like an inch lower than the sides and my canopy is flat.I tried to double up gaskets across the front.made it worse.I would love to know what the shop does to fix that.Special gasket?I have not been able to find one.The shop I have local is manned by a couple of kids that I have no confidence in.

I talked to a old timer that runs a camper shell business up the road, and he seems like he knows what he is talking about. For 50 bucks he said he would change the whole thing. I will probably take it up to him since I don't feel like messing with it. It is in the corner at the one spot like you were talking about, where the side is higher than the front. If that doesn't work I'm going to just take some all weather silicon and squirt it on the bed rail and press it down. I really don't ever plan on taking the shell off.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks nice, like the hinged side panels. So the box build is tall enough that the side panels fit / lay on top of the wheel well tubs?

You might want to consider cutting the side hatches in half at the midpoint, so you don't have to clear and lift the whole side to get to something at either end.

RWB_F150

Observer
Looks nice, like the hinged side panels. So the box build is tall enough that the side panels fit / lay on top of the wheel well tubs?

You might want to consider cutting the side hatches in half at the midpoint, so you don't have to clear and lift the whole side to get to something at either end.

Thank you, and yes, the wings sit right on top of the wheel wells. It provides support so all of the weight doesn't rest on hinges.
The plan is to cut it in half so I can open each separate section. As much as I really don't want to I might have to go back and get more paint.

I have taken my camper shell off to put a roof rack on top then once everything is back together I am going to slid it in and see how I like it.

RWB_F150

Observer

I went to my local rv supply store and bought some stuff call butyl rubber. It was 7 dollars for 25 feet and it playable rubber almost like play dough, and is suppose to be super stick and last a long time. I'm going to try it out, seems very promising. If you don't have a tv store around try eBay, I saw it up there 11 dollars free shipping, I could not find any at Home Depot or lowes by the way.

Last edited:

GregSplett

Adventurer
I went to my local rv supply store and bought some stuff call butyl rubber. It was 7 dollars for 25 feet and it playable rubber almost like play dough, and is suppose to be super stick and last a long time. I'm going to try it out, seems very promising. If you don't have a tv store around try eBay, I saw it up there 11 dollars free shipping, I could not find any at Home Depot or lowes by the way.

I do have a good one two miles away I will check there and give it a try.I do not know why I did not think of talking to them.Know them well.Thanks!

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Storage...

Glad you did not use bed spray liner.........I have heard that it off gasses..... probably not good to breathe while sleeping. Good job on your platform/storage. :clapping:

rayra

Expedition Leader

It's stocked by the metal ductwork along with the metal tape.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...wer-lines-under-vehicle?p=1848235#post1848235

butyl03_zpsg4bhjm45.jpg
butyl04_zpsypqetqji.jpg
butyl05_zpseftvf2lj.jpg
butyl06_zps73plrfzy.jpg
butyl07_zpsfteutbut.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
oh and it's a bad idea to use the stuff on the inside for a leak, you'll just trap the water in the shell material layers and make things rot faster. Get your leak as dry as you can get it, hair dryer, heat gun whatever, from both the inside and the outside and get a caulking gun and some 100% silicone caulk and inject it into the exterior side of your leak, as much as you can. Leave the inside unsealed so it can remain dry or show you if the exterior leak continues.

RWB_F150

Observer
I do have a good one two miles away I will check there and give it a try.I do not know why I did not think of talking to them.Know them well.Thanks!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Think I found where our problem is coming from.
Lift up the plastic side rails and put some puddy in there.
You can see light passing threw with the camper shell on.
I just finished adding roof tracks to the top of my truck.
The shell is going back on this week with the bytul rubber.
Will eps are when I get it on.
Thank you every one for the compliments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles