spirit guide for newbie purchase of 97 Montero LS

nbishop

Observer
Hello all,

I am new to the 4x4 world and have come across a 97 montero LS that is a good price for the mileage. I'm hunting for an SR but the deal may be too good to pass up. My goal is to have a reliable and inexpensive expo rig to take to the beaches, camping, general frolicking.

I've been reviewing posts here to find info on the following questions without luck. Any knowledge y'all can provide is greatly appreciated!

- can I procure and install aftermarket rear locking differential? I've read the entire rear axle system from the SR would need to be used. I'd prefer to have simple manual lockers all the way around. I'm unsure if they need to be montero specific or if they are designed for different axle sizes, etc.

-as someone that won't be doing much rock crawling, will the gearing differences between the LS and SR hold me back? Maybe more specifically, what situations may it hold me back? The 97 engine is the 3.5, so I should have a bit more power than earlier LS with the 3.0.

- as I will be doing a lot of my off roading in sand, would it be recommended to mount wider tires than are allowed on stock rims? I'd like to run 32 or 33s, preferably no aftermarket lift and minimal trimming. It makes sense that wider tires would play a big role in the sand, but not sure if 1-2" makes a difference if the psi is dropped. Since cheap is a goal, keeping stock rims is my preference (I'm looking at the 15x8 -19s mentioned in this thread:http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...3?highlight=Montero++"LS+versus+SR").

- does the 1997 LS come with a factory body lift? I've read 1" on LS and 2" on SR.

- any other considerations that might make me want to wait for an SR?

Eric M

Adventurer
3.5L brings with it the increased body height (through increased height mounts, not bushings) and the 9.5" rear axle. If you want to swap to the factory locker you can just get the 3rd member, diff, and the axle shafts and swap it into your current housing. Or, you can just use the whole locker axle which is probably what most everyone does. I think that the 1997s with the 3.5L got 4.27s in both the LS and the SR.

nbishop

Observer
3.5L brings with it the increased body height (through increased height mounts, not bushings) and the 9.5" rear axle. If you want to swap to the factory locker you can just get the 3rd member, diff, and the axle shafts and swap it into your current housing. Or, you can just use the whole locker axle which is probably what most everyone does. I think that the 1997s with the 3.5L got 4.27s in both the LS and the SR.

Thanks! So it sounds like the factory air locker is the main benefit of the 1997 SR versus LS (I am ok with cloth interior). I'm guessing the process you describe for getting the factory locker would be the same for manual hubs, correct?

Eric M

Adventurer
For your year, yes, the locker and leather interior/heated seats are the main differences. Manual hubs are an easy swap. You just remove the front axle drive flanges and put them on. The trouble is finding good ones, best are the Aisin and not many people have them.

nbishop

Observer
For your year, yes, the locker and leather interior/heated seats are the main differences. Manual hubs are an easy swap. You just remove the front axle drive flanges and put them on. The trouble is finding good ones, best are the Aisin and not many people have them.

Sorry for the uninformed questions here, but could I put manual lockers on the rear of an LS and have the same 4WD configuration as the SR (minus air engaged versus manual lockers)? I am guessing there are internal parts to the SR rear axle that are not in the LS that allows the locking (which I believe means both wheels on the rear axle engage when locked). So with an LS, I could put manual locking hubs on the front and have both front wheels locked and engaged, but without the 3rd member, diff, and the axle shafts, I could not make the rear a locker. Is that correct?

Eric M

Adventurer
I think you're confusing manual hubs with a selectable locking differential. The hubs are the same on all the 2nd generation vehicles and a manual hub simply disconnects the axle from the wheel allowing the wheels to freely. The selectable rear locker basically turns the rear differential into a spool when you switch it on to provide equal power to both wheels. The factory air locker is one option, so is are ARB Air Lockers or its Chinese clones. The most plug and play way to make the factory locker work is to simply install an SR rear axle. Next would be using the SR third and axles. Last would be modifying the unlocked third member to work with the air line and electrical control for the actuator.

nbishop

Observer
That makes sense. The more I read and talk the SR sound like the sure bet. I'd rather have those capabilities and not need them. Thanks for your help with this.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
I had a 97 LS for a couple of years. A year and a half ago I bought my 96 SR. I drove them both for a good 6 months before I sold the LS before moving to Colorado.
I can honestly say the LS is just as capable as the SR. As mentioned the 97 LS has the 3.5L which is a bit more powerful then the 3.0L. As for power I cannot tell the difference between the 3.5L LS and 3.5L SR. I've not hit any real serious trails but I've only needed to use my locker a couple of times in the SR.
The adjustable shocks int he SR are nice but 90% of them are shot and you'll need to replace them with regular shocks anyways unless you want to spend a fortune on some OEM shocks.
The cloth seats in the LS i like MUCH better over the leather seats on the SR. Most leather seats that are 20 year old have hard cracked leather , too hot in the summer , too cold in the winder. I wish I would have swapped seats with the LS before I sold it.
What it boils down to is the LS is perfectly capable as a overland/camping/light-medium difficulty trails just as it is. The SR is certainly an upgrade but not a necessity unless you wheel alot and get yourself in tricky trails. Just my opinion.
That said I do like to know I can lock up that rear diff whenever I need to even though I rarely need to. Maybe I'm not wheeling hard enough :)

nbishop

Observer
Thanks for your thoughts Karmann. I am glad to hear your opinion as I drove to Dallas Tuesday evening and purchased a 1997 LS! For my purposes the LS should do great, though I think I will keep an eye out for an SR in the junkyards around Austin to grab the rear axle and other necessary bits. I'm quite excited to put some 33x10.50s on my stock wheels, so I'll probably need to consider lower gearing soon as well. I'm currently waiting on on a lug nut key from McGard and a driver's window regulator/motor assembly before I can really get it out of the garage. I'll be spending a lot more time around these threads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior