Coffee Makers?

Smksignals

Explorer
I use a stainless steal vacuum pot. works great and makes more than 1 cup at a time...

Adcraft.jpg

Dake21

Adventurer
Works like an old fashioned percolator. Fill bottom with water, add desired quantity of espresso ground coffee and perc. until the transfer from bottom to top is complete. I use this to brew a full pot that equates to a mug full of nice strong brew.
They are sold in various sizes and as said previously can be had for $15.

More or less. With a french press you boil the water, wait 30 seconds ,pour the water in, let it infuse for two minutes then press down the handle manually. The double filter are much finer than a percolator so it gives sludge free coffee. Different results, both excellent.

dakota123

Adventurer
Wow you guys rock! Thanks for the info. As of now I'm leaning towards the Moka single cup. I like the idea of how small it is and it seems like it is very easy to clean and relatively simple to use.

4xdog

Explorer
I was at one of the private reserves next to Kruger National Park in South Africa last week, and here's what the guys there use every day on the trail. Not cheap, but it makes a very good cup of coffee (like most any French press) and the combination of double-wall construction and stainless steel make it a good choice for java in the bush. Available in various sizes -- here's just one of several.

http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Polished-Stainless-French-17-Ounce/dp/B0015VMKME
0104-2T.jpg

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Best thing for camping is an Aeropress. It's plastic and hard to break, small, great for making a single cup of coffee, and if you already have a way to heat water, it's minimal extra stuff to carry.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use an espro double filter french press, it keeps the coffee warm for a very long time and give a texture just as good as a starbuck coffee.

Starbucks isn't exactly setting the standard by which coffee is measured. There are much better places.

as far as espresso the only thing that comes close and does well is the mypressi
everything else is coffee even though some say aeropress or moka is like espresso its not

True - 9 bar & 25 seconds or it didn't happen. I tried one of the older Mypressi Twists - huge PIA while camping. The pre-heating and clean up used a lot of water & I was never overjoyed with the results. Definitely good - but not once you factored in how big of a PIA it was. Maybe the newer models are better.

I've tried a lot of different brewing methods on the road. Ultimately, I always come back to a double walled stainless french press for it's simplicity & capacity for my morning coffee. If I want a dessert coffee in the evening, I'll break out an ibrik & go Turkish.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Starbucks isn't exactly setting the standard by which coffee is measured. There are much better places.
Thank you.

I'm picky about the coffee I make at home, but once I leave the house the envelope of what I find acceptable expands a great deal. Even so, I'll only grab a starbucks if they have particularly light roasts on hand that day.

When camping, my priorities shift considerably when it comes to coffee. First, it needs to be easy to make and easy to clean up. Second, it needs to stay hot. Only third comes flavor. I've ended up using an REI insulated french press. I prefer it over some of the others because it has an all stainless interior. I'm not a fan of putting hot liquids in plastic - I know some people don't mind, but if I can smell it or even taste it then I know something is getting into my coffee that I don't want. I also use (yikes!) good old standard Maxwell House when camping. I like the containers it comes in, and the flavor is within my range of acceptability. In fact, I've come to associate the flavor with camping, so it's kind of nice actually.

I've tried fresh grinding when camping, aero presses, etc., and it's all just too much trouble when what I really want in the AM when it's freezing cold and I'm barely moving, is a just hot cup of joe. The aero press, especially - I've never been able to get a good cup of coffee out of it. Yes, it's smooth and has a decent flavor, but to get it strong enough for my taste, I end up using a ton more coffee than I would otherwise. And the coffee ends up too cold and there are a million bits and pieces to keep track of, etc. It's a real pita, frankly, for little to no gain, imo. Plus the plastic.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Thank you.

I'm picky about the coffee I make at home, but once I leave the house the envelope of what I find acceptable expands a great deal. Even so, I'll only grab a starbucks if they have particularly light roasts on hand that day.

My tolerance range opens up quite a bit too. I still use the same coffee as I do at home, & I still grind it each morning, but I'm more flexible with quantity & steeping times, & won't turn down a cup of coffee that someone else offers me. Not that I'm hugely anal-retentive with it at home, I just know what I like & stick to it.

I should give Starbucks a bit more credit though - they make decent "hot chocolate with caffeine" drinks, they just shouldn't be confused with "coffee".

Roger M.

Adventurer
I carry the Moka Pot and a stainless steel double wall french press. Supply source is a Partner kettle.

All stainless/aluminium, easy to clean, indestructible, and both make a cup of coffee that rates as "the best" IMO.

dennismc

Observer
I use a Chemex at home and have taken it camping but always worried about breaking it as it glass. Looking at the Chemex one day I got to thinking it's a funnel shape so I went to the store and got a plastic funnel that is the same size. I use the funnel and a thermos and the Chemex filters and make it just like at home. At home I grind beans each day but for camping I will bring ground coffee. Works great, coffee stays warm in the thermos, no issues.

vanvliet22

I've recently been enjoying my Aeropress

It's sort of a cross between pour over, french press, and a pneumatic tube. Makes a great cup of coffee, sturdy, and super easy to clean. (All the grounds compress down into a hard-pressed puck that can be easily tossed out.) The down side is it can only make 1 cup at a time (sometimes a problem for groups) and has a slight learning curve, which I'm still trying to master.

Otherwise, it's a great. The sleeve is perfectly sized to fit my Porlex hand grinder too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles