Coffee Makers?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
gotta have it. agree with @redneck44...its relaxing for me and sets the stage for the rest of the day. Or until its espresso time right after lunch :D

Have one of these on order...will streamline the espresso workflow: http://www.espressoforge.com

portaspresso.jpgIMG_3686 (1).jpg

Dake21

Adventurer
Starbucks isn't exactly setting the standard by which coffee is measured. There are much better places.

I know, but it's hard enough to compare to something everybody would know on an international site so I chose something mainstream. I suppose you don't know about java blend coffee roaster?

greg.potter

Adventurer
I take a Bialetti Moka express and carry a Zassenhaus Havanna hand grinder. Fresh beans ground with a burr grinder right before you brew makes a world of difference. Of course it is all for naught if you don't start with great beans!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I know, but it's hard enough to compare to something everybody would know on an international site so I chose something mainstream. I suppose you don't know about java blend coffee roaster?

True - hard to find a "standard" that everyone knows. Besides, coffee is highly individualized - what I like may not be what you like.

I don't know about much about Java Blend, other than what's on their website. If I'm out & find a coffee shop or roaster that I like (usually small independent shops), I'll buy a pound from them, but when I'm home I [currently] tend to stick with the organic fair-trade Ethiopian med/dark roast from Trader Joes (about the only reason to go to TJs, IMO, well, that and the thick cut / uncured / apple wood smoked bacon . . .). It's probably my favorite mass-produced coffee.

I've kicked the idea around about roasting my own, but I'm just too busy to dedicate the time to it (I tend to jump in with both feet when I pick up new hobbies - so its usually all or nothing).

texascrane

Adventurer
I have an aeropress and it's great at home, but it's too much trouble when camping, IMO. I think a simple pour over that's "regulated" like a beehouse or bonmac is the way to go when camping. Put the coffee and a filter in, boil some water, and pour it in.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Interesting posts, points of view, equipment and procedures.

For us coffee while camping becomes much more important than at home.
Espresso every four to five hours while rolling and pot of good coffee in the early morning.
Lake and mountain views while sipping AM coffee or feet in the ocean watching the sunrise:coffeedrink:...or wine in the evening for that matter...

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I have two stainless steel french presses, a single serving and a 3-4 serving. Unbreakable, have had them for years, no maintenance. Same thing at home every morning as camping.

For backpacking if I want to be ultralight, cowboy coffee or a folding french press gadget that works with a wide mouth Nalgene bottle

Honu

lost on the mainland
I got the cleaning down when using it to minimal water wipe off slight rinse and wipe again :)
agree though pre heat and rinse etc... more water use for sure ! and it can be finicky etc... bring along those canisters etc...

but doing Tea these days :)

I think the thing is single serving can be a pain ? the aeropress the same thing
so sometimes pour over is nice and easy I was going to check out the folding silicone ones before I quit coffee :) they seem pretty cool and tough

sometimes I found I liked a larger cup of coffee over espresso as it gave me something to drink for a while and hold a warm mug enjoy it longer

Starbucks isn't exactly setting the standard by which coffee is measured. There are much better places.

True - 9 bar & 25 seconds or it didn't happen. I tried one of the older Mypressi Twists - huge PIA while camping. The pre-heating and clean up used a lot of water & I was never overjoyed with the results. Definitely good - but not once you factored in how big of a PIA it was. Maybe the newer models are better.

I've tried a lot of different brewing methods on the road. Ultimately, I always come back to a double walled stainless french press for it's simplicity & capacity for my morning coffee. If I want a dessert coffee in the evening, I'll break out an ibrik & go Turkish.

DVD

Adventurer
Camp coffee certainly benefits from the ambiance, but you need a good brew too.

sHHuQnlUIRMTOa6XeK95mb_8RBli-MvcxYz7FSCXyrXi=w916-h687-no

Nice view for coffee prep, (with aeropress and grinder and whole beans from Village Roastery). My son uses the upside-down method for the aeropress.

30EfDrckGV7kENFM4vfJm2-Gy-fJWiLmWu7Oqzdwv0rU=w916-h687-no

Nice view for coffee drinking

I've kicked the idea around about roasting my own, but I'm just too busy to dedicate the time to it.
Do it. Home roasting is easy. I roast using a drum roaster (Behmor 1600), so I can roast a pound at a time. I roast a batch about once a week, which requires an investment of about 30 minutes. When I used a little air roaster, I had to roast two-three times a week, but each session was only 8-10 minutes. You don't need fancy beans--forget about Jamaica Blue Mountain and Kona. For $5-6/pound, you can get quality beans and have the best, freshest coffee around. The only drawback is that your coffee will be so good that you will no longer want to drink the swill that other people serve.

On the trail, clean-up becomes much more important. At home, I prefer using a press pot. But the press pot requires a fair amount of water to clean properly. When I am filtering and packing my water, that becomes undesirable. Grinding coffee just prior to brewing has a huge effect on taste, so packing a grinder is worth it to me. My solution has become a little Porlex grinder, a collapsible pour-over, and paper filters. I bring the water to near-boil in a JetBoil, then pour it over into another container.

I have not yet experimented with an aeropress. That seems like another good, lightweight solution, but I don't have any experience with them. The Chemex and Moka pot make great coffee, but only if you stay close to the truck. You're not going to want to pack those things along on a 60-mile thru hike.

Burrero

Observer
For coffee making while camping I go with Aeropress. Simple, easy to clean and durable. I can't afford 9 bar on the road

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
When camping, we use our GSI personal java press.

At home, it's a combo of Zojirushi coffee maker, moka pot, and French press.

Aeropress might be a good choice, too. We have one at work, and I like the coffee a lot.

Nomad1

Observer
I just do the cowboy coffee thing best darn coffee ever.. do like to grind my own beans easy on the trail with an electric grinder and an inverter.. but I would love to get into roasting my own beans guess thats the next step to take now.... but were to get the raw beans from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles