Coffee Makers?

CSG

Explorer
I know this thread is a few months old but I make my coffee when camping just like at home - a Melitta single cup filter holder and #4 filters (buy in bulk - way cheaper than #2 filters and easier for the pour). I bring coffee (SF Bay French roast) that I ground at home using a burr grinder. I carry a sealed trash can in the rig and dump the used filter in it when I'm done. The Aeropress looks interesting but it's pretty damn hard to beat the simplicity of the Melitta. I brew directly into an insulated 14 oz stainless mug. My wife and I do it exactly the same at home as I prefer a stronger cup than her so we can each make a mug based on our preference. Both of us drink our coffee black (well, I've been known to add a splash or two of whiskey when camping). I'm also a bit of a coffee snob like many here and I find this the simplest way of making coffee both at home and on the road.

64000cfoutofbox.png

Junkinduck

Observer
My homebrew coffee solution. I like French press coffee so it consists of a Stanley cook kit, plunger and screen from a bodum press cut down to fit, a Coleman 533 dual fuel, one of the cups from the kit, a cut down plastic spoon, and a storage box/pan from an old 502 Coleman set. I use my snow peak mug because I don't drink coffee from plastic unless it is an emergency.
9613b22eb86ab0c5cae155153966bb76.jpg
d5c0623357737c192a45518ea4b6dd42.jpg
286cb2ceb9b3194e1d31af8b0f0e2fd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
436d92de115f30bae3ad5b21000c8c43.jpg

My homebrew coffee solution. I like French press coffee so it consists of a Stanley cook kit, plunger and screen from a bodum press cut down to fit, a Coleman 533 dual fuel, one of the cups from the kit, a cut down plastic spoon, and a storage box/pan from an old 602 Coleman set. I use my snow peak mug because I don't drink coffee from plastic unless it is an emergency.
9613b22eb86ab0c5cae155153966bb76.jpg
d5c0623357737c192a45518ea4b6dd42.jpg
286cb2ceb9b3194e1d31af8b0f0e2fd2.jpg

436d92de115f30bae3ad5b21000c8c43.jpg

Seems like a lot of work to duplicate this, no?

412GJAvoG-L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSRV3UQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Junkinduck

Observer
Seems like a lot of work to duplicate this, no?

I already had everything to put it together so I didn't have to buy anything. It is multi purpose. And I guess I enjoy Rube Goldberg solutions to common problems.

So to answer you question yes but it was fun to put together.

Last edited:
I already had everything to put it together so I didn't have to buy anything. It is multi purpose. And I guess I enjoy Rube Goldberg solutions to common problems.

So to answer you question yes but it was fun to put together.

And a benefit to your setup is that you can boil right in your press. The double walled SS you can't boil in because the air in between the walls will pressurize and the whole unit will balloon. Don't ask how I found that out
whistle.gif
But boiling in a regular pot and transferring the water isn't a ton a work either :)

seekerbeta

Observer
everyone just go and spend 5$ on a French press at IKEA. I use it in camp, and if it breaks, ill just visit my closest ikea and buy another. saved me so much money, and still going good 2 years later.

Ragman

Apologies if this is already mentioned but I picked up the Stanley Mountain Series french press late this summer so only got to use it twice, but I thought it was excellent. Used in place of my well worn SS percolator. Added benefit it contains a thermos to keep the coffee hot while making breakfast (or waiting for others to rise and shine). Only real downside is that it is large, as I purchased the larger one. Smaller size is, well, smaller and more packable. For motorcycle I normally carry instant...

http://www.stanley-pmi.com/store/stanley/en_US/pd/ThemeID.39334800/productID.324177600

luk4mud

Explorer
Lots of good info here. Folks love their coffee. Me too.

Here is my coffee snob 2 cents.

I home roast my own. Once you do, you wont drink any store bought again, unless its a coffee emergency. I use 2 roasters. Freshroast 500 works great for small batches and allows for a better controlled dark to French roast. Behmor 1600 is great for raosting about 12 oz at a time, best suited for light/ medium/ headed toward dark roast. There really is no comparison to roasting it yourself.

Best place to buy green coffee that I have found ... and this is the real critical part ... is Burmans. Green coffee can keep up to a year, but why not get the freshest you can buy? B has a great selection and tells you the batch date of everything. De La Gente lets you buy green coffee direct from the processor in Guatemala as well.

I use a small blade Nesco grinder, but am looking at burr grinders now.

I use the above mentioned Stanley press to make coffee. For presses, the size of the screen and softness of the rubber around the sides plus fit of the plunger all matter. Sorry Snow Peak addicts, but that one is quite bad.

The single biggest factor in taste, as far as I can tell, is when the coffee was roasted. Sure, a fresh grind is better, where it was grown matters, the cook method matters, maybe the grinder make a difference, etc. But the roast date is the biggie.

HTH

ChadHahn

Adventurer
A good cheap way to get into home roasting is with an air pop corn popper. The West Bend Poppery II is the best. I have a couple that I've picked up at thrift stores for a couple bucks apiece.

Chad

luk4mud

Explorer
A good cheap way to get into home roasting is with an air pop corn popper. The West Bend Poppery II is the best. I have a couple that I've picked up at thrift stores for a couple bucks apiece.

Chad

Good point. I started roasting that way and quickly transitioned to a real roaster. The popcorn popper actually works well, but it takes some practice to get an even roast and is messy.

bald.eagle

Observer
I recently bought a French press for the purpose of camp coffee, and it has replaced my keurig as my daily coffee method. I use the keurig for the hot water though, it is faster than boiling on the stove. Coffee definitely tastes smoother and richer from the press. I've never been a huge fan of the keurig but convenience was the reason for using it. My french press will now be dual purpose, for home and camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz