Coffee Makers?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I like to keep things simple, no maintenance and easy to clean (without having to resort to - UGH! - instant!). I have a plastic French Press that disassembles for cleaning. Good coffee, lightweight and cleans up easy.

Tools for Adventure

Supporting Sponsor
I'm an unapologetic coffee snob and I have been obsessed with coffee for the past 16 years. The best advice I have for anyone that actually enjoys the flavor of coffee is that freshly roasted and freshly ground beans are hands down the most important thing you can do to improve your coffee experience, regardless of brewing method. Bring freshly roasted beans on your trip. Keep them cool and grind them right before brewing. I prefer lightly roasted beans as they are more flavorful. Dark roasts is what Starbucks do to hide the fact that their old beans are stale because you can't tell what the heck is going on when the beans are incinerated.

For camping I've used french press in the past but I really like the Aeropress lately. I bought it as an impulse buy at the grocery store and its turned out a lot better than I expected. The flavor is less bitter than french press and its actually quite easy to clean. Once you're finished you just remove the strainer and pop the puck of coffee out in the trash. A bonus is that the small version of the Porlex ceramic coffee grinder fits right into the Aero press so it makes it quite compact when traveling. I sell the Porlex Ceramic Coffee grinder in my store called Tools for Adventure and its hands down the best travel grinder that I have found. If you decide to get a grinder for camping make sure it is a burr grinder and not a blade grinder. The ceramic burrs on the Porlex lasts longer than steel.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I go the french press route but it's important to have a vacuum insulated thermos to pour it into after pressing. Getting it off those grounds quick will cut down on the bitterness.
Plus I'm usually up early doing sunrise photography so the french press is a pretty uncomplicated process that can even be done on the move (with a quick stop to press, pour, then keep going).

smlobx

Wanderer
This is probably heresy, but when camping (backpacking, tent or camper) I have settled on and greatly enjoy Starbuck's Via instant. When I was doing more backpacking, I tried all sorts of stuff including Nescafe, Java Juice and assorted other mixes, but when Via came out I was hooked. When we started to do more car based camping, I started packing my French press so it would be just as good as at home other than pre-grinding the beans. However, I simply got tired of the hassle. My wife doesn't drink coffee, so I don't need more than I'll drink which a couple of packets of Via provide. I'm usually up first and get to enjoy my cup of coffee with just a short wait while everyone else is still working towards wakefulness. Clean up involves my washing out my mug....

Greta thread as we are going this Saturday to pick up our Hallmark camper and I'm working on how to outfit it.
We recently flew from VA to Death Valley for an 8 day camping trip and my wife knows how badly I need a decent cup (or 2) of good coffee first thing in the am.
She picked up some instant Cafe Bustello in single serving packets and I have to say it was pretty good.

I still think we'll take our Moka that my Italian grandmother (Noni) gave me..

thethePete

Explorer
Just wanted to say I recently switched from a blade grinder to a burr for my beans and OMG! What a difference! No more powder, way more flavour and much cleaner mouth-feel. It's almost as revolutionary as my switch from drip to french press...

Tools for Adventure

Supporting Sponsor
Yes! Its a world of difference. Blade grinders are terrible. For camping I use this one from a japanese brand called Porlex. It has ceramic burrs that lasts longer than steel. I also happen to sell this model in my store. Its great for camping and it fits inside the Aeropress.

Porlex-Mini-Hand-Coffee-Grinder-600.jpg

Just wanted to say I recently switched from a blade grinder to a burr for my beans and OMG! What a difference! No more powder, way more flavour and much cleaner mouth-feel. It's almost as revolutionary as my switch from drip to french press...

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I have a Hario burr grinder that I picked up at a thrift for about $3.00. Luckily they didn't know what it was. :) When car camping I like to take my Coleman Mr. Coffee style drip coffee maker that sits on the Coleman stove. It takes a while to brew but it can make a lot of coffee at once.

Chad

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've been using these this year when we've rented the OTGR 459, they've been awesome.
DSC_0932.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
This year I've bought several pieces of the Stanley-PMI stainless-steel cookware and I like all of it. They also have a camp percolator available now that might be worth a consideration.

stanley-adventure-percolator-camping-coffee-maker-6-cup-1-1qt-stainless.MAIN.jpg

jklewer

I've been using these this year when we've rented the OTGR 459, they've been awesome.
DSC_0932.jpg

I'll second this. At about $1.50 each they're not the cheapest option but they sure beat nespresso gold (the cheapest non-absolutely disgusting instant option IMO) and they're basically zero cleanup. They do create a decent amount of flat-pack able waste though.

Honu

lost on the mainland
do you dump the coffee out then pack the paper ?
coffee is great for the soil I never packed grinds back out :)

I'll second this. At about $1.50 each they're not the cheapest option but they sure beat nespresso gold (the cheapest non-absolutely disgusting instant option IMO) and they're basically zero cleanup. They do create a decent amount of flat-pack able waste though.

jklewer

do you dump the coffee out then pack the paper ?
coffee is great for the soil I never packed grinds back out :)

That's a good call and it wouldn't be hard to do. The top opens up like a ziploc bag so you could get at it. Put it around those wild roses and blueberries that like their acid ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz