Coffee Makers?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I always cart along a Nespresso machine. If its good enough for George Clooney its good enough for me. But having a powered machine is a compromise.

The missus only asked once "are you sure you need to bring a coffee machine along" to which I replied "I will give up the coffee machine you give up the porta potti". Never been an issue since.

Anyway the Nespresso give good coffee anytime with minimal cleanup and no wasted water.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just wasted packaging...

What is wasted. Cardboard goes into recycle. Pods go to Nespresso for recycle.

This is my travel kit. I even take this on my carry on luggage (never check luggage on domestic flights). I can carry 50 shots, 2 cups, rock sugar and the machine and still fit in a weeks or 2 of clothing into a small carry on roller bag. I can also easily fit it with all my gear for a couple of weeks work on my motorcycle.

In the rig I run it off a 1500 watt inverter or the generator. Being a Freightliner I can easily carry months worth of pods.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438190854.097581.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438190882.135427.jpg

photogdave

Adventurer
What is wasted. Cardboard goes into recycle. Pods go to Nespresso for recycle.

I recently saw a news story about these pods. It said they aren't 100% recyclable. Not to mention the materials and chemicals that goes into producing them.
Sorry, I'm just not a fan of anything that uses packaging for individual servings. It just seems wasteful.
With something like a Moka Pot the only packaging is the paper bag the beans came in. Brewing and cleanup is very simple.
I am a bit of a hypocrite as I used to buy instant cereal that comes in individual packages but once I've finished the last of it I will no longer use them. (Although you can use the pouches to eat the cereal from!)

Honu

lost on the mainland
thought they made pod things you can resuse over and over and fill yourself ?

photogdave

Adventurer
thought they made pod things you can resuse over and over and fill yourself ?

That's Keurig. Their regular pods are very difficult to recycle.

Here's a couple of articles worth reading. The first discusses the difference between Nespresso's language of recycling capacity and and actual recycling. It is a few years old now.
The second, recent, article discusses Nespresso's overall coffee program and some of the positive contributions the company makes on a global level.
Personally I still think single-serve brewing with pods is wasteful and more expensive, and will stick with traditional methods.

http://www.coffeehabitat.com/2011/09/nespresso-capsule-recycling/
http://www.4-traders.com/NESTLERFD-...he-ugly-sustainability-at-Nespresso-20444284/

joelbert

Adventurer
Bialetti Moka

Bialetti Moka has produced the best coffee for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expr...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438865113&sr=8-1&keywords=moka

Best tips/hints: http://www.amazon.com/review/RAK1DGKYEF0GQ

While a french press is nice/ok, you have to jump through hoops to actually keep it hot until it's ready to drink. When you pour from the Moka, it's proper temperature, imho.

We also have one of these from Cabela's, stainless percolator, but it was bought pre-Moka and would probably not be bought again now that we have the Moka. It does though produce larger quantities. I decided I needed to decrease my coffee consumption and up my coffee quality. However, I do still use the largest Moka (9 or 12, I think) and it produces enough for about 1.5 cups.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=coffee+pot

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer

Look at that thick, brown goodness—Mr. Coffees, percolators, and presses are for sissies. :D

We use the same Moka both at home and on the trail:

I've been using a Bialetti Moka pot when camping for years. Best way to make coffee when out and about. I'll even take the weight penalty of packing it when I go backpacking since the coffee is so good..

Chris Cooper

CoopInTX
My wife just bought me this bit of gadgetry for Christmas... I've yet to try it out. I will say that I'm going to have to beef up to a 2K inverter to run it.

OXX Box- Uses the single serve Kuerig K-Cups and has a removable water tank (that you can buy extras of as well). I found an all stainless re-fillable pod option that I will be trying with it to eliminate trash/waste. I'm very curious to see how it tastes, but the unit itself is certainly cool looking.
3007214_1.jpgShot-3-V1-Clean-Oxx-shadow.jpg

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Congrats. I have seen those in pictures and videos in the past. Please let us know how it performs! P.S. like your idea with the non disposable pod .

BillTex

Adventurer
I use a stainless steal vacuum pot. works great and makes more than 1 cup at a time...

Adcraft.jpg

Where did you find that?
Please tell! I have been hunting for a SS Vac pot...

Thx, Bill

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Putting my EspressoForge (and Mahlgut Grist MG-1 hand grinder) to good use...whilst camping this week.

EspressoForge camp duty.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne