Closed Thread - Proper Gun Transport - Closed on July 4th

Scott Brady

Founder
You and others can pretend there's no politics

There is no pretending. It is a simple function of the forum rules. We specifically moderate political posts and debate because of their (always) contentious outcomes. If you cannot discuss a topic without interjecting political banter, then avoid the topic.

There are other forums where political discussions are allowed or welcomed. We decided over 10 years ago to avoid them precisely because of the way you have responded (i.e. baldface nonsense).

Just talk about guns - avoid the politics. Shockingly remedial in both concept and practice.

Lt Dan

Observer
The thread was closed due to typical political and state bashing. If contributors cannot debate and discuss like gentleman, that is the result.

Much like our gun rights will likely be compromised due to ignorant and arrogant gun owners (i.e. open carrying your AR in Starbucks), so goes threads on this forum.

And before some response about how expo doesn't like guns, I am a veteran, daily carry and I am a staunch supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights. California is a reflection of its laws, which were instituted by a majority of its citizens. It is odd how people forget we live in a democracy. We do not protect our rights by having tantrums, we retain our rights through intelligent debate and influencing public opinion in a positive way. If you do not like California gun laws, then leave. Take your taxes elsewhere. (My entire family has moved from California to Arizona).

"It is odd how people forget we live in a democracy"

FYI: USA is not a democracy it is a REPUBLIC.

A Republic is representative government ruled by law (the United States Constitution). A Democracy is government ruled by the majority (mob rule).

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
"It is odd how people forget we live in a democracy"

FYI: USA is not a democracy it is a REPUBLIC.

A Republic is representative government ruled by law (the United States Constitution). A Democracy is government ruled by the majority (mob rule).
That actually is incorrect as well. The words democracy and republic have broad definitions that many sources like the American Heritage Dictionary can be read to fit both models employed by our government. There's a bit of semantics folded into their definition as it relates to the voice of the people and how it is channeled through elected representatives to effect our law-making desires. You could say we live in a democratic republic and that too would be correct.

James Wilson, one of the framers of the Constitution and one of our first SC justices, defended our democracy as expressed by the Constitution by saying the people have sovereign power by virtue of their elected officials and the laws they create.

Or, you could site a study done by Princeton's Martin Gillens and Northwestern's Ben Page, who made a very clear case for our system of government that very clearly fits within the constructs of an Oligarchy with heavy influences from the "Elite" via "Biased Pluralism."

Why does this matter? Because understanding how we fit into our political system permits our ability to make effective changes. In this case, relative to our individual desires to address gun issues.

And HOORAY for my two years as a Poli-Sci major! :)

Coby65

Observer
Just wanted to add my way of legal carry in the state of CA. Diclaimer....I moved here from my native GA 8 years ago.
I have friends that are Monterey Co Sheriffs, CHP, and local city police and they say this is the legal way to carry in CA with no hassle.
My wife's JK does not have a trunk or anything outside the center console or glove box to put a weapon in. So I purchased the Tuffy lock boxes that go under the seat for both driver and passenger side.
Guns are stored locked in the driver side box, magazines (unloaded) and ammunition are locked in the passenger box.
My LJ I keep the gun in a Tuffy box and magazines and ammunition in the center console. I open carry off road because it is legal.
Now when we had a truck camper I would leave the guns loaded in the truck camper. The truck is searchable on traffic stop as any vehicle is with justification but a truck camper being separated falls under a domicile and a search warrant is need to go in just like your house.

SunFlower

Adventurer
Just wanted to add my way of legal carry in the state of CA. Diclaimer....I moved here from my native GA 8 years ago.
I have friends that are Monterey Co Sheriffs, CHP, and local city police and they say this is the legal way to carry in CA with no hassle.
My wife's JK does not have a trunk or anything outside the center console or glove box to put a weapon in. So I purchased the Tuffy lock boxes that go under the seat for both driver and passenger side.
Guns are stored locked in the driver side box, magazines (unloaded) and ammunition are locked in the passenger box.
My LJ I keep the gun in a Tuffy box and magazines and ammunition in the center console. I open carry off road because it is legal.
Now when we had a truck camper I would leave the guns loaded in the truck camper. The truck is searchable on traffic stop as any vehicle is with justification but a truck camper being separated falls under a domicile and a search warrant is need to go in just like your house.

Are you talking about handguns or long guns ? Long guns do not need to be in a locked case when transported. Handguns do.
Magazines are allowed to be loaded as long as they are not inserted into the firearm and magazines do not need to be locked. Ammunition does not need to be locked either.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Well I disagree with that premise in the strongest possible terms, Scott, because the predominance of CA gun laws are driven by politics and have no technical merit. And certainly don't even meet their superficial purpose of reducing crime or protecting the children. In fact many of them - as just demonstrated by the L.A. City Council - criminalize otherwise law-abiding citizens who've been minding their own business under CA law for 15yrs. I am referring to their recent ban on magazines that CA State law says are still legal.

You and others can pretend there's no politics in it by discussing the letter of the law in a vacuum, as if it's a matter of celestial mechanics, like the sun rising. But the assertion that they are not intertwined and connected is baldfaced nonsense and I leave you to it.

Thank You rayra. The powers to be don't want you talk because its bad for business. I'm OK with that, but they should call it for what it is.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
To the contrary, it's incredibly simple to not bring politics into any discussion. The problem isn't politics, it's people who can't seem to have a conversation without injecting their feelings about politics into it. Those people aren't here to share useful information, they're here to try and make cheap points by arguing with anonymous people on the interweb.

There are specific laws that govern the transport of firearms into and within California, anyone who can't describe or discuss them without injecting politics into the discussion is simply unwilling to do so. People that are unwilling to play by the extremely easy rules that are imposed here shouldn't be allowed to post here. It's incredibly simple. It's unfortunate that a few people are too immature to share information without imparting their world view into every single ************* thing they write.

See any irony in your "more bull****" post?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
"cheap points" like "more bull****".
"immature to share information without imparting their world view" like "more bull****"
"Its incredibly simple" like "more bull****"

TripLeader

Explorer

I would not rely on the protection of considering a truck camper having the same fourth amendment protection as a house. I don't know all there is to know about California law, but there are exemptions to getting a search warrant. One of those exceptions is the search of a vehicle, which the camper could be considered. ...just my two cents.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I'm not a lawyer, but have several relatives who are cops.

According to their departments guidelines, to be considered a domicile, a vehicle must have the following items - sleeping area, bathroom and cooking facility. In addition, it must be actively used as a domicile.

These requirements are the same as CA DMV defines a camper/motor home/trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94