more power and regear my Pro 4X Xterra

KiwiKurt

Explorer
hey all!

I'm looking to get more power and a regear for the xterra. Last trip at elevation with full load made it clear i need it. I've ordered the Intake manifold spacer everyone raves about. What else should I get to squeeze a little more power out? Sealed volant intake? different spark plugs? an exhaust of some kind?

I'd also like to regear the final drive.....nitro gears? Second stupid question: can I regear the rear or do i have to regear the front and rear? seems like with 4wd it would mean both differentials need regeared....in which case, what is available for our trucks?

thanks!

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Can't answer your other questions but yes you'll need to re-gear front and rear diffs both.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
yeah that's what i thought. well. no gears are available for the the r180 front diff, so that scratches that.

meental

Observer
Talk to Steve at rugged rocks for the regear. For the extra power, no one mod will give you much, short of turbo, stillen supercharger or v8 titan swap

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Just found the rugged rocks website. looks like the best they can do is a 3.69....the pro4x is already at 3.353....

am I mistaken in thinking that 3.53 to 3.69 isn't worth the change?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hmm I'm surprised to hear no one makes gears for the 2nd gen Xterra, what about the first gen, can you swap the diffs in? I know it's a very slippery slope when it comes to differentials, regearing, lockers, etc. Elevation will definitely affect the power on a naturally aspirated truck but going larger/heavier tires makes it a lot worse due to the gearing change. What tire size are you running btw?

KiwiKurt

Explorer
im running stock size tire, just switched to the k02. I dont have an issue on the shorter trips usually, but the family trips are longer (2-3 weeks) and ive got front and rear bumpers, sliders, fridge, and 4 jerry cans, plus the normal gear load, in addtion to the passengers. its fine until it hits elevation. it was using 3rd gear a lot coming up the mountains once we hit 8-9k+ feet.

I realize any NA motor is going to struggle with a load at those elevations, but a little power and little shorter gearing goes a long way.

side note, the truck has been doing awesome. weve spent about 5 weeks of the last 3 months on the road between the 2 trips and hit a lot of stuff. This truck continues to surprise the hell out of me on what it will get done with stock size tires and a mild lift.

docwatson

Adventurer
The basic equation for determining regearing: (New Tire Size/Old Tire Size) x Current Axle Ratio = Effective Axle Ratio

I think that the jump from 3.35 to 3.69 would surprise you, especially if you are still on stock size tires. Keep in mind, that it will cost your fuel economy (if you care) because your engine will be turning at higher RPMs.

Steve at Rugged Rocks was working on 4.10 gears for the R180 which would definitely amp up your range, probably too much without a tire size change
http://blog.ruggedrocksoffroad.com/

Last edited:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I have 3.53. The 3.35 was a typo. Sorry...

I would think overall the mpg would improve with a small gearing change because it wont be getting hammered up the hills?

I was hoping for something in the 3.75 to 3.90 range. I found 3.75 for my rear diff but only thing i can find for the front is the 3.69....

So it would be changing from 3.53 to 3.69.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Hmm I'm surprised to hear no one makes gears for the 2nd gen Xterra, what about the first gen, can you swap the diffs in?

To my knowledge no parts are interchangeable between 1st and 2nd Generation Xterra's. For all intents and purposes, they are completely different vehicles. Xterra's and Frontiers, maybe even Pathfinders of the same year span have more interchangeable parts.

If you haven't already, use Google to search TheNewX forum. (Use this in the search string: site:thenewx.org)

If there is any information to help you gain power, it should be over there, as all types of Xterra modders congregate there, not just those primarily interested in Overland type adventures which often minimize extensive modification to the engine.

I've not touched my engine yet, but to my knowledge the folks trying to milk power usually do all of the following and net HP gains from the combined effect:

Aftermarket Intake
Different Y-pipe on exhaust (The Xterra's is particularly constricted.)
Tuner software upload

But beyond that I'm afraid I don't know much. Good luck.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Yeah i checked out that forum a little and got some info. Guys are showing results with intake, exhaust, and tuners. Im trying to decide how much money i want to put into this thing. With a second kiddo on the way(yaaaaay!)we may want a bigger truck.

meental

Observer
The auto pro4x comes with 3.36 gearing, the manuals come with 3.69, I believe the manual non pro4x came with the 3.54 while the autos come with 3.13

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz