97 Trooper vs 98 Tacoma

PHeller

Adventurer
Both are 5spd, the Tacoma is 2.7l 4-cylinder. Both are 4x4. Both have the same amount of miles (just over 180k). Both get similar MPG. Tacoma comes with a rack and camper shell. Both need windshields and shocks. Trooper is in fantastic condition but also needs CV joints. Recent timing belt and water pump and I just bought it for $2000.

I can buy the Tacoma from its original owner for $3,000 who's taken the vehicle to Toyota certified shops for schedule service up to 150k. I think it may need brakes, that's it.

Tacoma would likely be easier and cheaper to find parts. We could sleep in the bed with a platform. It's an Xtracab, so we can haul other people, not comfortably.

Trooper allows sleeping inside with comfortable headroom. Can haul 5 people easily. Trooper is a slightly rarer 5spd transmission.

I could resell the Tacoma in the winter months for an easy $1000 profit.

I could resell the Trooper for what I paid for it, $2000, maybe a little more.

What would you do?

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
Tacoma will be easier to get certain parts for and has a MUCH better aftermarket. Trooper is more of a niche aftermarket. However, they are awesome vehicles that don't get enough love from the 4x4 community. If you can live with the 4 banger I would go with the Tacoma (but I love Yotas). Or you can be different from everyone else and get the trooper! Either way you come out with a nice rig.

PHeller

Adventurer
Yea it's the classic case of how will I be using the rig 90% of the time vs that other 10%.

I think the Tacoma would fit our needs 90% of the time by offering a good hauler that can access the places we want to go.

It wouldn't be as good that other 10% of the time when we need something that can fit 4 people or sleep two people comfortably inside.

Big mike

Adventurer
Buy the taco or send me the number and I will :) I will even send you pics of it when I get done with set up !!!
Mike

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
As much as I hate to admit it, as I am a die hard Isuzu guy, the Taco will probably be easier to deal with over the long haul, simply because Isuzus are getting scarce and parts will only continue to dry up. That said, a 97 5-speed Trooper is pretty much the BEST option you can get in a 2nd gen Trooper. If the vehicle was properly cared for, that is a pretty bulletproof setup, and there is still a decent (enough) aftermarket for gen2 Troopers. You can still get ARB/OME products for the gen2, and if you are like me, it wouldn't take too much money to hoard some of the more practical spares. The SUV platform of the Trooper will also offer easier access to the cargo area, and you might find a few more creature comforts in the Isuzu.

HTH,

Bart

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Buy both and drive them as is until you decide and sell the other. You may find that the lack of aftermarket for the Trooper isn't an issue because you're only ever going to be doing basic stuff, or perhaps full custom (sleep platform). Or you may find that you're using the pickup bed too much and you'll just use the wife's car for hauling more than 2 people.

If I did that, I would be shot by the wife and she would have to sell both. Serves her right.

Nasty610

If you're looking at keeping the vehicle long term it's hard to not just say get the Tacoma. They have an extremely large following in the aftermarket and are very good rigs to start. I wouldn't say the Tacoma is going to be a good hauler though since it's still just a 4 cylinder. The Tacoma weighs 3390lbs with a cargo capacity of 1700lbs and a max trailer weight of 3500lbs. A Trooper weighs 4275lbs with a max cargo capacity of 1235lbs and a max trailer weight of 5000lbs. While the Tacoma has an edge in cargo capacity it has more to do with the lower curb weight than it's actual hauling ability. It also has 40 hp & 11 lb/ft of torque less than the Trooper while only getting 1-3 mpg better. Remember those mpg numbers are unloaded, once loaded up I'd expect the v6 to do slightly better on gas since it doesn't have to work as hard.

Personally I had a truck and rarely used it as a truck. It was common for me to just cruise to/from work. I always had problems when I wanted to take anyone with me too because there wasn't a ton of room. With my Trooper I can easily fold up the rear seat and have almost a full size truck bed to put stuff in. If I need more weight capacity or need the rear seat I can hook up to a trailer. When it comes to off road my stock Trooper is easily as capable as a Tacoma. I can also lift my Trooper for about $100 with a set of coil springs and a torsion bar crank. I like Tacomas and I like trucks but I wouldn't take a 4 cylinder Tacoma over a v6 Trooper. If I needed a truck I'd search for a v6 Tacoma or Tundra to replace my Trooper.

Hi all,

I'd take the 2.7L Tacoma over the V-6 Trooper for long-term ownership (parts availability, upgrade potential, etc.)

If you are doing an 100 mile off-road desert race the V-6 Trooper would probably be the winning choice! :)

Regards,

Alan

justbecause

perpetually lost
if it werent for the gm4l30 I would still be driving my 97 trooper. hands down my favorite vehicle I have ever owned... it is still sitting in my parents yard. maybe one day Ill be able to throw a 5speed in her and get her back on the road.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
if it werent for the gm4l30 I would still be driving my 97 trooper. hands down my favorite vehicle I have ever owned... it is still sitting in my parents yard. maybe one day Ill be able to throw a 5speed in her and get her back on the road.

Yeah, the 4L30 is a problematic trans. If these transmissions are not maintenanced properly from day 1, you can certainly expect problems.

Bart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94