Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
This past weekend we went for a little adventure to the Sacramento Mountains in southern New Mexico. We went trough the back roads crossing Fort Bliss' live fire range. You can drive through that road, as long as you stay on it, then you take the road that follows the Sacramento river bed until you reach Timberon, NM and then north to all those nice canyons.

The Organ Mountains on the west.

Getting into the dry sacramento river bed.

The road was good in general, with a few rough spots but nothing bad, any non 4x4 truck or suv can make it.

As you start going up the sierra you can see the landscape changing.

My kids and Snowball... a.k.a. "Bobos"....

Howdy!

Finally...the forest....

mkitchen

Explorer
Nice looking country

I'm just going to have to add that area to my next NM trip. Just something about seeing green and running water in the southwest that makes a fellow feel good.
Mikey

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
very cool water fall and I dig the old cabins and ranch areas....
not to mention the longhorn is way cool

looks like your dog is primed and ready for adventure

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
It is really a nice area with lots of nice forest canyons and back roads. I will be going back soon to explore more of them; maybe go as far as the Guadalupe Mountains NP, Carlsbad Caverns NP area and all the way down to Big Bend NP, that would be a really nice week long trip going through the back roads.
A few more pictures...
Being a fourth of July weekend, some of the "most popular" spots were a little bit too crowded for me, but we still easily were able to find a nice secluded spot to make camp next to a small arroyo.

There's nothing better than being around a camp fire with your loved ones, a cold beer in one hand and a cigar on the other one, after a good rib-eye steak and baked potato diner....

We spent the next morning exploring, hiking and just relaxing listening to the sound of running water and the whispering pines....

Richie

Adventurer
I've lived NM for just over 20 years now and have yet to explore that area of the state. I love how green it is! All the rain over the last few months has been awesome. Thanks for sharing!

realwarrior

Realwarrior
Those are some great photos there and bring back some great memories for me. I was stationed at Holloman for a few years and spent every free moment exploring those canyons and mountains!

Vandy

Adventurer
Looks like an awesome trip. I'm pretty interested in new Mexico as a whole. I can't wait to get my rig squared away. Until then I live thru all of yall and your threads

KSJeep

Explorer
Ahhhh memories, the Sacramento's are one of the best kept secrets of Southern NM. Next time you get over that way, try West Side Road, it skirts the western slope of the mtn range for 20+ miles. Best entered off the road going from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft, on the right at the first small town you come to (you can find it on the map). There's also a nice trail to the top of the runaway truck ramp of Hwy 82 near Alamogordo, trails end with some great overlooks of White Sands. Just close the gate at the ramp behind you. Just a couple more to check out, lots of trails in the area for exploring.

If interested you can check out our blog at lovin-our-life.blogspot.com and click on the New Mexico link under Places We've Been, for most all our off road adventures in NM.

xjman88

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing. We spent 2 plus years stationed at Fort Bliss from 2003-2005. I spent a lot of time exploring that area. Its nice to see its still accessible for the offroad crowd. Now we are living back out here I plan on exploring that area again.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Thanks to all.
I will be going back for sure (God willing), there's still lots of trails and canyons that I want to explore. I've been living in New Mexico for over 25 years and I had never been to those mountains, and I'm about two hours away from them (I live in Santa Teresa, NM)!! We just passed through Cloudcroft to some of the popular camping areas only. I've been mainly doing rock crawling trails, etc. with my rock crawler jeep, until now, when we decided to replace our Avalanche with a JKUR; and we're loving it!!

Drofen

Looks like a pretty awesome trip! Like said on the planning thread, I spent lots of summers down there. Weed, Mayhill, Sunspot, Sacramento. Lots of great hiking, and many of those creeks are chock full of little 8" brook trout that pull and fight like they're 3 times that size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles