Camper + trailer: how do you deal with wiring/plugs?

doctorit

Adventurer
I finally have a chance to really optimize our slide-in camper experience, by hitching up our small sailboat behind the rig... but there's one problem: I can't [easily] plug in both the camper (round 7-pin) and the boat trailer (flat 4-pin) to my dual plug receptacle at the same time. The plug covers are hinged such that only one can be open at a time.

Receptacle on the F250 looks like this:

trailer_connector.jpg

I could pull the entire cover off, but figured I'd ask here for any easy or obvious solutions I'm not seeing.

tarditi

Explorer
I'm not sure they are meant to be used at the same time (gauge of the wire)... could you tap another 4-pin pigtail for the boat trailer?

brian90744

American Trekker
This a great idea for Fords or remove the stock 4 wire cover which is cheaper=brian

When I had my camper first installed (Hallmark) they put in an extension harness that intercepts the truck wiring before the plug and provides a 7 pin for the camper in the truck bed, leaving the ones at the hitch available for a trailer.

something similar to this http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20121172153

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
I have a separate 7 pin mounted in the bed side of my truck for the camper.

Not sure about Ford's, but GM/Chevy 2500/3500's have the wiring harness for the bed mount 7 pin factory supplied, wrapped up and secured to the left framerail area where the cab/bed meets.

doctorit

Adventurer
When I had my camper first installed (Hallmark) they put in an extension harness that intercepts the truck wiring before the plug and provides a 7 pin for the camper in the truck bed, leaving the ones at the hitch available for a trailer.

something similar to this http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...uty/2012/51-97-410.html?vehicleid=20121172153.
That's a good looking plug-play solution - I'm not against cutting wires, but I can think of better ways to spend my free time! Thanks

1stDeuce

Explorer
Do note that if you're running a non-compressor fridge off 12v when you travel down the road, adding all that wiring is going to hurt its performance as the voltage drop over that distance of wire is fairly significant, even at the 12a draw of most fridges. (Non compressor!)

Other than that, I highly recommend the in-bed connector if you can reach it to plug it in. :)
Chris

doctorit

Adventurer
I always run the fridge on propane (or shore, if we're glamping). Thanks for the tip.

But I definitely like the idea of the bed mount using the kit mentioned above. Think I'll order it this weekend.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I just tapped into the wires going to the camper and put a flat 4 connector for my boat trailer at the end of it. What kind of sailboat? We pulled a Sea Pearl 21 Tri across country to sail the coast of Maine and will probably do that again but we also have an F-24 Corsair Tri.

doctorit

Adventurer
Those trimarans are very cool! I'm just pulling a little Sunfish - not at all serious, but don't tell the kids, they think it's amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior