Engine stall in crosswinds with Safari Snorkel

Ivan Agerton

Hey guys! Quick question.. I have a 2006 LX 470 with a safari snorkel installed. On three occasions the engine has stalled out on me (symptoms are similar to running out of gas). After the first stall the dealership replaced my mass flow sensor; seemed to do the trick until the next high altitude pass crossing.. Engine stalled again... the third time I was driving through a small town and stopped at a light... engine started to get rough so I increased throttle and saved it. City driving etc I have no problems. After thinking about conditions the only thing I can come up with is crosswind.. All three situations a high cross wind was noticeable ( I was also stopped in all three situations). Could it be that a crosswind will starve the intake of air? I have the standard scoop installed.. Is there a different head I can put on the snorkel that will allow 360 air intake? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!!

4xdog

Explorer
Maybe something runnability-related like crank position sensor? Seems hard to imagine a crosswind would be so strong at a stoplight to create such a vacuum at the snorkel head as to stall the engine...

Ivan Agerton

interesting... if the crank sensor was bad wouldn't the problem be more consistent? Im not having backfire issues and this has happened only three times over the past 1.5 years.. I live at sea level btw... could it be an altitude thing? My guess is no but I dont know for sure.. the same trip the issue was at 7000 feet but the next day I crossed a sheltered pass at 8500 feet with no problems.. I didnt stop though... :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I can't imagine any scenario in which a cross-wind could starve the engine. I'd be suspecting something more along the lines of fuel delivery or ECM controls (sensors). Do you have a Scan Gauge or similar that will allow you to watch fuel trim, etc when the problem happens?

You might have a shop with access to the Toyota TechStream run a scan, see if it is storing any codes not normally detected by the average OBDII

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I agree with Kurt. As far as snorkel heads, there is the factory style round "pre filter" style (much like you see on backhoes etc). But I really doubt the snorkel is to blame.

brentbba

Explorer
Could be a crack in the intake tube. They do tend to get brittle with age and heat from the engine. A crack would 'open up' at idle causing the rough running or stalling and then seal up when under acceleration from the vacuum. You state you were stopped in all three situations so it could be the tube. Second - any chance you got the throttle sensor wet by chance. That could cause the rough idle as well.

Ivan Agerton

All great thoughts, guys. Thank you! I took it in to the Lexus dealer this morning. A few codes came up that indicate its running lean so they're taking a deeper look. I should know in a few hours. As far as a crack goes.. I dont think so. I put a plastic bag around the top of the snorkel; the bag imploded from sucking force so its def solid.. I had a few water crossings a couple days prior to the stall but depth did not extend beyond the top of the tires..

zolo

Explorer
Well if it is indeed running lean then you could have any number of issue.

Including an intake leak which would cause a stall at idle if it was large enough. Only air entering after the Air meter would cause this issue.
Nothing before the air meter coming in will be an issue.

You could also have an O2 sensor issue which could change your short term fuel trim and then the long term fuel trim can change if not corrected, this can cause issues as well.
Lean running issue on a modern vehicle with sensor controls can be repaired. Just have to have the right tools to see the data.

Id be interested to know what the issue is.

If I had to guess just from your explination. I bet it has an intake air leak some place. Lean codes, rough idle and stalling and at higher altitude. Sure fits the bill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior