Question about the Entdecker

stretch886

I found information on the Entdecker and was eventually lead to this website. From what I gather, they purchase a G-Wagen, modify it, add custom accessories and features, and then sell it to the consumer. Is that correct?

If so, I'm wondering if other companies have pre-built packages like this for brands such as Toyota or Land Rover? I like the idea of everything being custom built for the vehicle and fitting together nicely. I'm sure it's more expensive, but just gathering info for now.

Thanks.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yes.

The vehicle was specified by Front Runner and built (primarily) by Unicat to Stanley and Alex's requirements. They are built on the 461 platform.

There are a few options for the Entecker in the USA, including having the vehicle prepared by Front Runner in Southern California. http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/
They would need to use a G500/G55 or similar.

The Entdecker was only designed for the G-Klasse, although the specs could certainly be mimicked for other platforms. However, they will never be THIS cool ;)
Top_10%20(12).jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) will build a Jeep Wrangler for you using their upgrade parts. You supply the Jeep. Options include Hemi V8, upgraded axles, lift kits, tires and wheels, Brute pickup body, and more. Or you can buy the parts separately and build the Jeep yourself.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler/build-and-price#/

AEV also offers a turnkey Ram pickup modified with AEV parts. They call it the Prospector.

XPCamper will produce a turnkey expedition-ready pickup and camper that meets your needs
http://xpcamper.com/versions/turnkey-packages/

AT Overland has a conversion department that will produce a complete vehicle to your requirements. They have worked with Land Rover, Jeep and Toyota products. Click on the "conversions" button at the top of this page http://adventuretrailers.com/

stretch886

Awesome. I've checked out the Front Runner site but didn't realize they'd do a whole conversion.

Yes, this is an incredibly cool car.

NYCRover

Observer
Outback, not registered here. it comes on the 461 platform, which is also diesel and not importable to the US.

According to what Scott said above, Frontrunner can modify a G500/550 to similar specs, but I assume at a much higher price point and it wouldn't be a diesel. (I'm assuming higher price point as the base wouldn't be the stripped down version that you can buy for a much lower price with the 461 model).

Are there any domestic examples of a frontrunner built G?

thebigblue

Adventurer
Yes, the W461 production is history - only W463 will be made in the future.
I'm pretty sure ORC or GFG in Germany could make a similar modification on a euro G, you could even have the portals ;)

1167_0.jpg

1191_0.jpg

Last edited:

swb

Observer
I thought W461's are still being made. But they are not available in all countries and even less to the public.
Apart from military orders there are others for fleet vehicles being fulfilled, for example light fire trucks (cab chassis) for our bush fire services.
And some members of the public have been buying them here in Australia and no doubt in South Africa.

thebigblue

Adventurer
December 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm by Jens Meiners

"Three years ago, Mercedes-Benz began to offer its 461-series Geländewagen to private customers again. The 461, essentially the original G-wagen, was replaced by the plush 463 series in 1990; for many years it was available only for military and government customers. Then, in late 2010, it reappeared. Called the “Professional,” this purest of G-wagens was touted as a “somewhat stripped-out, more practically-oriented version (which) focuses on the robustness and reliability of the G-class.” Power came from a 181-hp 3.0-liter V-6 diesel. Needless to say, it was every true off-roader’s favorite G-wagen.

professional-2-626x361.jpg

Now, I am told by Mercedes-Benz, the quintessential G has fallen victim to 2014 emissions regulations. It has been yanked off the market, just as the G-wagen cabriolet was killed earlier this year. But while the Professional and the cabriolet models are gone, the future of the G-wagen is secure. This year was its best ever, and Mercedes-Benz is fully committed to keeping the brute going for many years.

thebigblue

Adventurer
I looks like the Front Runner Detachable Front Bumper / Mercedes Gelandewagen 461 & Pro. could be easily modified to fit a W463.

front-runner-detachable-front-bumper-mercedes-gelandewagen-461-pro-FBGW001-1.jpg

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I looks like the Front Runner Detachable Front Bumper / Mercedes Gelandewagen 461 & Pro. could be easily modified to fit a W463.

front-runner-detachable-front-bumper-mercedes-gelandewagen-461-pro-FBGW001-1.jpg

Looks like it has a built in winch mount too. If so, that'd probably be a cheaper way to get a winch onto a G-Class than the OEM Tow pin bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke