Am I crazy for wanting a rig that gets low 20's mpg ???

swrider

Observer
So, i am very new to this, so much so that I am still looking around for my first 4x4 rig. So far, the only thing my wife and I do is go out camping and use my little VW Golf to lug around all our camping gear plus three dogs. Needless to say, anything over a 6hr drive becomes painful. So I want to get something bigger, more utilitarian; something that can tackle 800 miles in a days without a problem. I enjoy long roadtrips. The longest I've ever driven was a non-stop trip from Las Vegas to Seattle, 22.5hrs with lots and lots of caffeine.
Anyways, I love the look and feel of a Dodge Ram, preferably quad cab with 4x4. Not that I will be doing any serious off-roading, but seeing as we do make it down to old Mexico every now and again, 4x4 does come in handy. A diesel would be great, if for no other reason that I've always wanted one.
So given all that, the one thing that holds me back is the sacrifice in gas mileage. It will suck having to go from my go-fast GTI with 25mpg to a monster that gets maybe 13. Also, the new rig would be a DD for us. Am I crazy for thinking I can find something that at least comes close to low 20's mpg w/4x4, does such a vehicle exist???
Any and all thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Binksman

Observer
I had to rent a truck two weeks ago for a family camping trip about 7 hours away. With a brand new Ram 1500 loaded with a family of four, camping gear for a 5-day trip, and pulling a trailer with a motorcycle and bicycles sticking out in the wind, we averaged about 18 mpg driving normal speeds through the mountains of Virginia. Without the trailer I think it would have broken 20 mpg.

I really wish the rental company offered the diesel Ram 1500s and Crew Cabs. I like the Hemi that we had, but I like a diesel too :) And there is less useful room in the modern Ram Quad Cab than their is in my previous generation Quad Cab with rear opening doors. If you plan on kids or friends being in the back, go ahead and get the Crew Cab.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Tacomas.... if driven well and not over loaded or modified will get 20 mpg all day long.

I get 22/23 combined in the summer about 19-21 in the winter.

Have gotten up to 25 highway

Its a 2.7 regular cab five speed 4x4.

My buddy has the 4.0 auto 4 door and gets 20 all day long again..... if he behaves.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No trailer we see 24-32mpg averages pending speeds and headwinds with our 2.5L Subaru OB which is considerably roomier and more capable than the Golf. We have a 2001 Jetta so yes I get it. I had a friend tow my 21ft racing boat on a 6hr trip with his F250 2007 era. Trip average was 19mpg and it was way way way overkill considering he and I both had towed that boat with 4cylinder cars before that.

I think the low 20's loaded with gear road tripping is going to be a reality with the 3.0L and smaller 2.8L light diesels were finally starting to see. Hold off for about a year. We will probably see 2.8L Nissan options, 2.8L GM options and Ford might grow a pair and put the very respected 5cylinder 3.2L in the F150. The 3L Ram is a nice ride too....

11MPG

The Eco deisel is awesome. Went on a 5 hour road trip with a buddy in one. Flat highway 55-65 mph and the thing averaged 32mpg. I'm wary about new engine designes though so I'd wait for the warrentys to start expiring before I would buy one.

eggman918

Adventurer
I get a consistent 20 mpg highway at 75 mph from my 8,000# 1968 F-250 4x4 with a mechanical Cummins 4bt with a large inter cooler and a small quick spooling turbo and ZF5 with 3.55 gears and 33" tires,when moving from Bakersfield,CA. to Prescott,AZ. in 4 trips towing between 5,000# and 9,000# we got 16.75 to 18 mpg and I couldn't be happier.Total reliability/simplicity, good mileage, classic looks and it works like a mule.......what more could i ask for?

swrider77

Thanks for all the replies. Initially i was very intrigued by Dodge's ecoDiesel, but like most people, i am kind of weary about new engine designs, plus i've heard that because of emmissions you have two more fluids that need to be replaced, and they're not cheap.
Another one is the 1500 with the Hemi, Binksman isn't the first ine that i've heard get a decent mpg, so i am going to look into that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedF

Adventurer
I got consistent 19 MPG (US) in my 2006 Ranger 4.0 on 33" mud tires, two adults and loaded for camping, and driving a lot of highway. My mileage is considerably worse day to day as I have a short commute. Rangers are pretty notoriously bad on fuel, so I don't think you're asking too much.

Big mike

Adventurer
Don't be weary , I spent over 30 years in the auto business owning a couple of dealerships and running many others.
The days of not buying the all new motor or trans or or or. Are gone !
You will be hard pressed with the technology and testing that goes into new vehicles anymore to find a dog in the bunch.
My personal expedition choice is a JKU with the penstar motor ....
I love my jeep and have several MODs it gets around 15.6 MPG's .
Would I like better ? Of course , but I love my jeep.
Pick the rig you want because it's the rig you want. Don't settle or let anyone talk you out of it, or buyers remorse will keep you from having the time of your life.
And that's why we chose this lifestyle isn't it ?
Mike

chet6.7

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Initially i was very intrigued by Dodge's ecoDiesel, but like most people,bout ne i am kind of weary aw engine designs, plus i've heard that because of emmissions you have two more fluids that need to be replaced, and they're not cheap.
Another one is the 1500 with the Hemi, Binksman isn't the first ine that i've heard get a decent mpg, so i am going to look into that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is one emission fluid with diesel,it is called DEF diesel exhaust fluid.It costs about $13 for 2.5 gals. at WalMart,it is cheaper at truck stops.
A tank of DEF can last for thousands of miles,it is not much of an issue IMO,it is readily available,inexpensive,and you have plenty of warning when the tank is low.
The Eco diesel has a pretty light payload,so check into that,as I remember it,it is more of tower than a hauler. There are Eco diesel sections on a couple of Ram diesel forums.
have read conflicting reports on the eco diesel's engine,time will tell.

PHeller

Adventurer
The trick is smaller engine and 5spd, or an engine with a lot of torque that is relatively under-worked...lean burn, ie diesels.

There are actually a lot more vehicles out there that will get 20+ mpg highway and are accomplished 4x4 Expedition vehicles.

My new-to-me 97 Trooper will get low 20's with 5spd and manual front hubs, Tacoma, Ranger, 4Runner, Jeep, will all do the same. The trick is not to go too crazy with the tires, 5spd, and either a small engine or an underworked one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz