What if MFTA offered an FG with the 6 sp manual transmission and 2 sp transfer case?

dtruzinski

Explorer
If the Mitsubishi Fuso FG was reintroduced the LS 4:88, 5 speed manual, and two speed (hi low) transfer case...would you buy one? Or would you want to buy one? You still have to deal with DEF, but you also get that amazing factory warranty. Rumor has it that they are considering such an animal to replace the Duonic and single speed transfer case.

For the record, I am in!

Howard70

Adventurer
As Long As We're Dreaming....Add factory 2spd TC to Current Duonic

For us the ideal set up would be the Duonic 6 speed dual clutch (the current transmission in the US) and a two speed transfer case. We've driven our 2014 FG with the Duonic for a year and 21,000+ miles. We just had the transmission mapping redone to always start in first gear / more power (the actual title of this remap is confusing to me - basically it alters both the standard and ecomode shift points and uses first gear for all starts). We found that change significant in the performance of the transmission. So much so that we used "auto mode" only for 60 miles of wandering, creeping, rare 4x4, slow, fast, etc. forest service road and basically found it ideal (I may have shifted manually a few times - mostly in that "anticipate a hill after a curve" situation). We haven't had an opportunity to try creeping 4x4 yet, but I think it might be improved as well.

So if we could have that and a two speed transfercase we'd be ecstatic!

One other modification that would be helpful for slow driving in rough conditions would be access to the brake pedal for your left foot (lefthand drive). The steering column of the FGs comes between your left foot and the brake so being able to have one foot on the brake and one foot on the accelerator is nearly impossible. I've looked at the spaces and I'm convinced that I can craft a short extension to the brake pedal arm that would provide a surface for my left foot. Combine left foot braking with the 6 speed Duonic and a two speed transfer case and we'd be even more ecstatic.

Howard Snell
2014 Fuso FG EarthCruiser
Prima Terra

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
I'm not currently in the market, but an FG has always been one of my Halo vehicles (weird, I know).

I would love to be able to purchase one with a manual trans and transfer case.

dtruzinski

Explorer
keep them coming, I have shared this link with a member of MFTA and maybe we can create a voice for the expo crowd in their R&D

Further

I am in complete agreement with Howard. A 2-speed transfer case for the U.S. Duonic, both for new units and add-on retrofit to existing, at least 2012 and newer, would be excellent. From my standpoint, I can live with manually shifting the automatic shifter for the super low side of a 2-speed transfer case if guided by RPM and if could not have automatic Dual Clutch shifting on the super low.

I also like Howard's suggestion for ability to use brake with gas for tricking locker engagement if wheel is spinning free and not allowing engagement on other wheel.

Excellent news on the transmission remapping done.

Will

dlh62c

Explorer
We just had the transmission mapping redone to always start in first gear / more power (the actual title of this remap is confusing to me - basically it alters both the standard and ecomode shift points and uses first gear for all starts).

When you come to a complete stop and look down at the dash and see the transmission is in lets say 4th gear, slightly release pressure on the brake petal and allow the transmission's creep function to engage. The Duonic transmission will downshift to 2nd or even 1st depending on the load sensed. The creep function feels like driving a car with an automatic transmission, as you slightly release the brake pedal you'll feel the transmission pull the car forward at idle speed.

I also agree with Howard, having a 2 speed transfer case would be nice, but from an engineering standpoint I'm not sure if that could be accomplished with the Duonic transmission.

The Duonic transmission is a manual transmission in every sense, it just happens to have two wet clutches, no clutch pedal with computer controlled shift points.

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'd be up for either a two speed xfer retrofit kit, and I'd be willing to go...let's say...wild guess here - up to 10K for an OEM retrofit kit/remap/etc, or if that's not available as a retrofit, but only in a new vehicle...yes, I'd probably be in line for a new truck. 2 speed xfer is that important.

Howard - you've got a good idea with that brake pedal mod...also glad to see you got it remapped.

unkamonkey

Explorer
My old '94 fuso has the 2 speed transfer case, 5 speed manual and 5.714 axles. I rarely use low range unless the road is so rough that I need to go slower to save my innards. Backing my trailer into my yard is easier on the clutch in low range. Pulling trees in the yard, yep, 4 low. 4X4. But, I only get around !! MPG with the axles. According to the book, If I redline the motor, 68 MPH Max. I usually run around 50 MPH.

GR8ADV

Explorer
So why do I want anything different than my 2004 auto with 2 speed transfer case? School me please...

dtruzinski

Explorer
@gr8adv - I too have a 2004, but the idea of a larger cab ( I am 6' 3") and more torque sound appealing to me. I would prefer a 2005-2007 model so I don't need to worry about extra exhaust stuff,ULSD or DEF. I have it on good authority that MFTA is going to release a 2017 with a manual and ditch the duonic. Further they are bringing back the 2 sp transfer case. While many don't use low range, I find it very helpful in some off road situations where I want to go slow and deliberate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94