Starting from Scratch

Jgleas114

I recently bought a JK Unlimited. I have been camping since I was young. I would like to expand my camping experience and build a Jeep that camp be taken on trails, no rock crawling and a somewhat "comfortable ride". I know a bought a Jeep. I live in Louisiana, so really any decent trails are at least 7-8 hours away. If I could get some direction/suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I would suggest you put your gear in your Jeep, put fuel in it and go. Use it stock until you can't go anymore. See what its limitations are for the type of trips you want to make and improve upon those. This is the best way to build for effectiveness and purpose. The closer you can keep it to stock the better.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Congratulations, you've chosen the most capable four door suv currently sold! I would suggest you follow the advice previously given and drive it first. They are really quite capable right off the show room floor and don't need much, other than some decent AT tires if it's a sport or sahara. If you do choose bumpers, lift, etc.. go light weight and less is more! I absolutely love my JKU and it will go everywhere I want.

Portal_Old

It rains EVERY day
Welcome to the Jeep cult :p as I'm sure you'll soon find out, most Jeep guys are picture whores haha. So make sure to post lots of pictures of your new baby!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
6" lift 40" tires, huge lights, winches front and rear... Oh wait... wrong thread... sorry. :elkgrin:
Normally I'm the first to say lift and tires, but in this case I'm going to agree with the brilliant minds above me.
Go play and have fun. Start doing your research based on your use. By the time you're ready for mods, you'll have a very short list of great choices you've made that are best for you!
... Then 3"+ lift and 35" tires... :beer:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I built mine for the exact same purpose as you. I have a bunch of stuff done. Suspension upgrades make a huge difference to the ride of the jeep.

get a winch

The single most important self recovery tool IMHO then see what you can do learn your limits and your vehicles if you make a mistake and get stuck then you can get out A highlight and some tow straps are a good idea too.

Jgleas114

Thanks for the replies! I like where everyone is pointing me. I'll be sure to post picture as they become worth sharing !

Thanks again!

rlynch356

Defyota
I also have a sport.. so far just sliders, and my fridge and Tailgater table from adventure trailers are all i really need and a place to put my OzTent. Other than that its a pretty capable truck out of the box. I would do you what must and discover what you need.

but the Fridge is key... it really changes camping :) so much so i put wiring kits in all my trucks for it.
I use it daily actually, keep my lunch at work in it, use it for diving surface drinks (and after drinks), perfect on our recent 6500 road trip for lunches, beer, drinks of the kids, etc.

I have cold Ice tea anytime and i'm happy.

I'd buy a fridge and wiring kit before anything else...

Serg5000

Adventurer
I agree with most above. Winch first. Then fridge. A winch will get you out of a pickle. A fridge won't. Although. It will keep your pickle cool. Lol. But you will still be stuck.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have added, new ball joints from Napa (gold series), the stockers are absolute crap, Monroe reflex monotube shocks (for rubicon), teraflex leveling kit, and airlift 1000s airbags. The suspension on mine is dialed in now for daily use, offroading and overlanding. NO need for more IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior