Lr4 roof rack

jhawk

Adventurer
I'm running a 50x60 Surco rack on my LR3 and love it. The rack makes almost no noise on the freeway. It also comes off the cross bars via 10 screws in a couple of minutes so I can strap my canoe straight to the cross bars.

I pieced my set-up together from two Surco racks off of Craigslist. I have about $250 in the entire thing.

Jim

Attachments

• WIN_20150301_134234.JPG
    WIN_20150301_134234.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 36

Hranchaz

Mpinco-Thanks for the pics of your LR4 and rack. Off topic here but was wondering what size Outback you are towing? We have a 28' Outback and have not towed it with the lr4-have only used the f150. What has been your experience with the towing. BTW that is a great photo of what looks like a great campsite. Thanks much.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Front Runner rack. I have owned the urban offroad rack. It was nice, especially the low profile but the front runner is hard to compete with. Ad it does work perfectly with Sat radio antenna.

DSC00106.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The trailer is a Keystone Premier Bullet 19FBPR. We were looking for 19' or less trailers as we dry camp in the forest. Total length is ~23' with a trailer weight of 4213lbs / GVWR of 6500lbs. One of the primary factors when buying the LR4 was the ability to tow. In summary it is excellent, with 375hp/375ftlbs and weighing in at 5700 lbs, loaded at over 6000lbs and with a body on frame.

Keep in mind that my travels are mostly Colorado mountains, starting at 6200ft and going to 10/11K ft. I'm already down 15%-18% on power and rising.

I do not use an equilizer hitch. The LR4 air suspension works great to level the vehicle + trailer, along with the "Trailer Stability Assist system that monitors the behavior of the trailer at speeds of 37 MPH or greater. If the trailer demonstrates swaying or oscillation, the system will use selective braking to help bring the trailer under control.". That combination works well through all the Colorado roads, to include Red Mountain Pass. Without the equilizer it is easier to maneuver into tight spots.

I would think the LR4 would do fine with the 28' Outback. In reality it would probably be better than the F150.

Campsite was nice. We typically camp in the forest off forest service roads but decided to spend a few days at Molas Lake between Silverton and Ouray. Elevation is 10,500ft. Campsites are tent/dry.

Hranchaz

mpinco- thanks for the trailer summary. In summary you do not use an equalizer or any stability control? Happy Camping.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
mpinco- thanks for the trailer summary. In summary you do not use an equalizer or any stability control? Happy Camping.

- No equalizer or special hitch
- Did spend some time selecting the correct rise/drop of the ball mount such that normal LR4 ride height leveled out with the trailer height.
- Also selected correct ball mount load rating (be aware they are not all the same, find one that meets tongue weight requirements)
- Stability control provided by LR4

When connecting trailer wiring to LR4 a menu should pop up asking you what kind of trailer you are towing. Caravan!

Overall the LR4 is an excellent tow vehicle, up to its rated capabilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles