My short 2 weeks vacation to Cameroon in West Africa

EMrider

Explorer
Great stories, pictures, experiences and information shared in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

I have spent some time in both Nigeria and the Ivory Coast. Enjoyed both, but really found the Nigerians to be very hospitable and likeable.

R

You don reach! Actually, my Pidin was/is terrible. My Sango is better but not that great and we simply won't discuss my Setswana.

From the photos, your family Bamelike by any chance?

You really spent a ton of time in Cameroon. Yes, my family is Bamileke. Man, you are a rare one. I would never have thought someone on here would know that much about the local tribes in the villages. You proved me wrong. You guessed right. My family is half Bamileke and half Bali-nyonga. I am sure you know what I mean.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
The Old Neighborhood!

I worked half of my professional life in Africa and got to know a lot of folks. In my first job I worked with Bamelike, Doualas, Bakweris, and a few others. (No Ewondos!) One of our best friends was a Peul (Fulani/Hausa, if you prefer) who loved to stay with me when he came down from Bamenda; I had air conditioning!

I was last in Douala/Victoria/Buea in 2008. It took work, but I could even find the old house. Thank you for bringing back memories!

Saracen

I fly (work ) freight in West Africa. Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and Gabon...to name a few countries. Those pics are soo typical. Hot, humid....

Thanks!!

unkamonkey

Explorer
A friend worked out there many years ago and a friend would drive him to the airport when he went on rotation and pick him up on his return. He sort of wondered why the border crossings went so smoothly. The driver was smuggling diamonds and had all of the guards bribed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94